User Essentials

User Essentials [Paid] 2.8.4

No permission to buy ($35.00)
  • Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
How long do you think that query will take for 250,000 likes?
Will Post Ratings have any affect?

Question, why are these options enabled by default when going to Thread Tools -> Edit Thread?

View attachment 150371

This goes for all threads by default.

And I don't have these settings enabled in Group Permissions for Registered group.

It sucks to uncheck these everytime I want to make an edit using the Edit Thread.
This only applies if the thread starter has the own thread unlock/lock or own thread replyban feature. The UI isn't quite smart enough to realise that the threadstarter does or does not have the permission.

I plan to make it check the threadstarter's permissions before showing that dialog.

How long do you think that query will take for 250,000 likes?
Will Post Ratings have any affect?
Fairly quick no more than 1-3 minutes. It should help Post Ratings a bit since it affects a query it uses when showing given post ratings (the query is still horrible, but not quite as horrible!)

Xon updated User Essentials with a new update entry:

Maintenance update

• xf 1.5.13 compatibility fix, do not double handle xf_thread_user_post
    • pre-xf1.5.13 would not correctly handle user merges if both accounts had posted in the same thread.
  • When editing a thread, only show per-thread permissions if the thread starter has them. Applies to the following permissions:
    • [UserEss] - Lock / Unlock own thread
    • [UserEss] - Manage reply bans within own thread

Read the rest of this update entry...

Xon, thanks for the reworking of this addon! Question: on the "likes given" feature, is it possible to see likes given by other members (not just yourself)?

When I run this: "ALTER TABLE `xf_liked_content` ADD INDEX `user_like_date` (`like_user_id` ASC, `like_date` DESC);"
I get the following MySQL Error "#1061 - Duplicate key name 'user_like_date'"

Could it be that I don't need to run this because it is already there (from previous versions)?

In the latest version of 2.7.x I find the integration of the moderator functions for regular users somewhat illogical.

This is what you see when you Edit a Thread of ANOTHER user. You can't grant him permissions.
Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-05 um 13.45.16.webp

This is what you see in your OWN thread where you already have those Permission set in the Admin CP.
Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-05 um 13.44.34.webp

So, I can allow myself the functions? o_O

How it should be:
  1. You are an admin + You have the permissions* + Its your own thread = Hide (Because you have them, why should you allow/disallow them to yourself?)
  2. You are an admin + You have the permissions* + Its another one's thread = Show (Because you can grant the user extra rights)
  3. You are an admin + You don't have the permissions* + Its another one's thread = Show (Because you are the Admin right?***)
  4. You are a regular user + You have the permissions* + Its your own thread = Hide (see #1)
  5. You are a regular user + You have the permissions* + Its another one's thread = Hide (Because you are NOT the Admin***)
  6. You are a regular user + You don't have the permissions* + Its another one's thread = Hide (Because you know nothing John Snow)
*Permissions that do allow extra functions in the Thread Menu anyway.
Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-05 um 13.46.36.webp

***I think this needs some rethinking. Maybe there should be an extra permission "Give others extra thread management rights", so you can clearly distinguish between who can and who does not.

@Freelancer yeah I definitely agree it needs a little work on how those options show up. But this is important functionality to allow the per thread permissions to be moderatable so they can be taken away from a user.

I think an extra permission like "Can Give Moderator Permissions to Thread Starter" would clarify that. Then only let those functions appear in the modal if the admin/mod/(any other user group) has that particular permission. Or it is just a regular Admin/Mod permission that is always there.. In both cases the checkmark list must appear in the other user's threads and not appear in your own.

I'm running 2.6.2 and noticing an issue with users not having the ability to toggle invisibility. I have set permissions for them to have this option but this still does not appear:

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 12.51.03 PM.webp

If I disable the mod, the "show online status" appears fine. Any ideas? Thanks

p.s. i purchased this a while back and likely need to update but a quick fix for now would be appreciated.

It looks like there are a bunch of bugfixes related to the 'go invisible' feature from 2.6.2 -> 2.6.4.1, and then a large rewrite of it 2.7.0 that I've done.

It looks like there are a bunch of bugfixes related to the 'go invisible' feature from 2.6.2 -> 2.6.4.1, and then a large rewrite of it 2.7.0 that I've done.
thanks Xon, is it a simple upgrade from 2.6.2 -> 2.7? Do I simply copy over files and select "upgrade add on" from the addon controls?

I can confirm there is a regression with the permission to go invisible feature.
With v2.7.2, every time someone – who has not the permission to go invisible – saves his "Preferences" modal overlay, he GOES INVISIBLE... that is really something bad, because numerous members of my forum are now invisible without having the permission to do so. As soon as I deactivate UserEssentials, the problem does not occur. It seems like the hiding of the "show online status" checkmark on the Preferences Overlay leads to the add-on always saving the "unchecked" state...

In addition to that (if the above is fixed): if you do hide the checkmark on the "Preferences" Overlay, I would also suggest to hide it in the "Visitor Popup Menu". It is awkward to be able to check it off, then the system says "you are now invisible" and then the checkmark is still checked and you are not. For sake of user experience.

Thanks. I love this add-on. :)

@Xon should this allow for members to delete moderator / admin posts from their threads when setting "[UserEss] - Soft-Delete Posts In Own Thread"?

Is there a way to quickly add so that admin / mods can't be deleted?

@Xon should this allow for members to delete moderator / admin posts from their threads when setting "[UserEss] - Soft-Delete Posts In Own Thread"?
Yes. I forgot to add this to the permission editing to allow moderators to revoke this per-thread. Similar to reply-bans & lock/unlock.

Is there a way to quickly add so that admin / mods can't be deleted?
This currently isn't supported, but should be straight forward to-do.

Top Bottom