ElasticSearch Essentials

ElasticSearch Essentials [Paid] 2.4.13

No permission to buy ($30.00)
It's just like @reddy ink says @Daniel Hood. It does not show suggestions until 5 letters have been written, unlike your demo that shows after two.

Please tell us how to fix this asap.

Actually, it seems that mine is set at 6, I have it at "2" in options.

Last edited:
None of the options control the minimum length for these. The suggestions and the auto completing are two different features. The minimum length is for alternate suggestions. The minimum length for auto completing is 2 characters, as I've been saying.

Looking at your board though, I do see an issue. I'm just working on trying to figure out the cause. In some cases, 2 characters work (search "we") but in others you need many more ("welcom"). I'll be doing some more work on this soon.

None of the options control the minimum length for these. The suggestions and the auto completing are two different features. The minimum length is for alternate suggestions. The minimum length for auto completing is 2 characters, as I've been saying.

Looking at your board though, I do see an issue. I'm just working on trying to figure out the cause. In some cases, 2 characters work (search "we") but in others you need many more ("welcom"). I'll be doing some more work on this soon.

Yeah I just noticed.

May have something to do that there needs to be either a space or ' otherwise it needs for example 5 character, no idea.

@Daniel Hood - Yes.... you have been saying "The minimum length for auto completing is 2 characters, as I've been saying."

But how do we get that.... We need minimum of 5 letters before suggestions come up and NOT 2.

We need suggestion start showing after 2 chars....

Is it possible to make the suggestion click-able so that they are brought directly to the post/thread instead of having to click search after having chosen it?

It is, but I would like the option to skip the searching and go directly for the thread.
That's not likely. I can see the use case if there's only one result but there are commonly going to be more than one result. Seems odd to assume they want the first result. I don't know anyone that uses the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button on Google and Google's searching is generally more accurate than XenForo's (even with ElasticSearch).

That's not likely. I can see the use case if there's only one result but there are commonly going to be more than one result. Seems odd to assume they want the first result. I don't know anyone that uses the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button on Google and Google's searching is generally more accurate than XenForo's (even with ElasticSearch).

I understand that it predicts what the user want to search. It would be good if they click enter to get to the thread and if the first one isn't correct, they can either give more information or scroll down to what they want.

For example, you want to got to a thread called "How to purchase ElasticSearch Essentials", so you write "How to" first, if there are many how to threads, you won't find it directly so you continue writing, "How to purchase", now, you may get the result you're looking for, so you press enter and you get there.
Still not found? Write "How to purchase Elas" and you've probably found it, click enter and get there.

Or you could write "How to" and scroll down to what you want. And for example, if you click the "search" button, it will search your term instead of going to the thread that is auto selected.

Honestly, this is what I thought this addon did before I purchased it, this way it would make the search more user-friendly.

Your use case makes more sense now but I'm not sure it's very feasible. The suggestion is noted though.

I would like to respond to this though:
Honestly, this is what I thought this addon did before I purchased it
I feel like this add-on description is very clear along with the example site given. I'm sorry if you bought it under wrong impressions but I don't believe I did anything to fuel those. If you would like a refund and to not use the add-on, please private message me.

Your use case makes more sense now but I'm not sure it's very feasible. The suggestion is noted though.

I would like to respond to this though:

I feel like this add-on description is very clear along with the example site given.

Thanks. It would become a very good addon then as the users won't have to waste their time with the search page function but be able to go where they want directly.

And yes, I agree, it was just that I misunderstood it as I've seen sites with autofill that directly leads to the content.

Here is an example. A visitor wants to find a thread called "current best blabla" he searches current, it shows up, he chooses it.
If he chooses it, it should take him to thread directly, if he clicks enter it just searches.

4f789ab9986618e79508c41faa47f370.gif

If we have already predicted what the visitors wants to find, why make him search for it and then click on it, why not take him to it directly? It is just a waste of time and annoyance for the visitor.

Here is an example. A visitor wants to find a thread called "current best blabla" he searches current, it shows up, he chooses it.
If he chooses it, it should take him to thread directly, if he clicks enter it just searches.

4f789ab9986618e79508c41faa47f370.gif

If we have already predicted what the visitors wants to find, why make him search for it and then click on it, why not take him to it directly? It is just a waste of time and annoyance for the visitor.

Your problem is similiar to mine posted on first page. (y)

One thing that it could be annoying - Search Bar Auto Complete default first suggestion is selected when you write letters in search.
I used to type word for searcing and press automatically enter, my members too, and because first suggestion is selected by default, enter dooes not submit search query but select suggested word.

If that could be fixed by solution I suggested, fix will solve both problems, mine and yours

It will be far better if Search Bar Auto Complete suggestions are not selected by default, so user have to click on it or press up/down on keyboard.

Security Suggestion: it should only show phrases from content users have access to. because at the moment users can access phrases like passwords or other things from private forums and conversations with search bar auto complete feature.

Reactions: rdn
Security Suggestion: it should only show phrases from content users have access to. because at the moment users can access phrases like passwords or other things from private forums and conversations with search bar auto complete feature.
What the ****? Seriously?

That is not a suggestions but something that has to be fixed ASAP.

Reactions: Xon
That's being exaggerated. It doesn't search conversation content at all. It will potentially reveal phrases from the thread titles of nodes that aren't visible but that is not nearly the security issue it's being made out to be. It only searches titles, not post content, not conversations, etc.

That's being exaggerated. It doesn't search conversation content at all. It will potentially reveal phrases from the thread titles of nodes that aren't visible but that is not nearly the security issue it's being made out to be. It only searches titles, not post content, not conversations, etc.
It's not being exaggerated. Even if it's titles only.
There is a reason it's called private and not public.

It's on my list of things to do/change but it's absolutely being exaggerated. Listing more content types than it searches is the definition of exaggeration.

Top Bottom