[8WR] XenCarta (Wiki) PRO

[8WR] XenCarta (Wiki) PRO [Paid] 1.4.8a

No permission to buy ($30.00)
Okay, just bought this and I am searching and trying to find documentation on templates and everything else. It says that it support raw HTML, but the simple <p></p> does add any breaks as I would expect. Is there a template repository, tutorials, or anything else to help someone who just bought and installed this? There has to be due to this being a few years old, right? I understand HTML and CSS so this shouldn't be that hard unless I have to code templates from scratch and if so then I am disappointed at the least. Can anyone help get me pointed in the right direction. I don't code so PHP skills are very limited at the moment as well.

I can't find the CSS file. The best I can find is the custom.css but it doesn't exist in my template files.

I found the template repository, but it's from 2012 and I don't know if it's current. I am trying my best to get started, but the addon info page is very light on what you really need to make this truly function well. Things I can piece together are years old. I feel frustrated, but I want to give this a try the best that I can before complaining. Just need some guidance and documentation.
XenForo's default styling removes margins and spacing from <p>... so its natural it wont work. If you want to add custom CSS, just use the EXTRA.css template.

@Jaxel changes to library/EWRcarta/Route/Wiki.php mean that URLs without a trailing slash no longer work. Reverting that file to the previous version fixes it.
Fixed for next version.

So does this accept Xenforo styling and not really raw HTML? That's a really big difference so that is really good to know. I have been going through examples the best I can. I noticed there is no sidebar when I set a page up using mose's template. Did I miss a setting or anything? If there is anything comprehensive as far as a guide I will read it cover to cover. I just need to know:
  • Styling: Xenforo, Raw HTML, BB...yes?(answered in 2nd edit)
  • Template Repository here?
  • EXTRA.css is good and tested.
  • Sidebar: Using AndyB's, can the Wiki have no sidebar? Probably a template thing...still learning.
  • Videos? I can't find any videos, but once I master this I will do a video series on Xencarta.
  • Edit: Xencarta removes my footer as well. Using UIX. Is this normal or another thing I am missing?
  • 2nd Edit: You have to wrap each page with:
Code:
<div class="messageText ugc baseHtml">
</div>
  • and then everything goes normal with footer & sidebar. At least this is what I did and everything went normal. I know I probably sound stupid, but I am learning.
  • 3rd edit: I am going along making a user guide for my community and I will share it once I am going well. Hopefully I am not coming off as a PITA...

Last edited:
So does this accept Xenforo styling and not really raw HTML? That's a really big difference so that is really good to know. I have been going through examples the best I can. I noticed there is no sidebar when I set a page up using mose's template. Did I miss a setting or anything? If there is anything comprehensive as far as a guide I will read it cover to cover. I just need to know:
  • Styling: Xenforo, Raw HTML, BB...yes?(answered in 2nd edit)
  • Template Repository here?
  • EXTRA.css is good and tested.
  • Sidebar: Using AndyB's, can the Wiki have no sidebar? Probably a template thing...still learning.
  • Videos? I can't find any videos, but once I master this I will do a video series on Xencarta.
  • Edit: Xencarta removes my footer as well. Using UIX. Is this normal or another thing I am missing?
  • 2nd Edit: You have to wrap each page with:
Code:
<div class="messageText ugc baseHtml">
</div>
  • and then everything goes normal with footer & sidebar. At least this is what I did and everything went normal. I know I probably sound stupid, but I am learning.
  • 3rd edit: I am going along making a user guide for my community and I will share it once I am going well. Hopefully I am not coming off as a PITA...
Templates are HTML. Pages themselves can use either HTML or BBcode. There is a setting on each page to show a sidebar or not. This addon is mostly designed for BBcode, only admins can make HTML pages... this is because the average user should not have the ability to just insert any random HTML into a page.

Templates are HTML. Pages themselves can use either HTML or BBcode. There is a setting on each page to show a sidebar or not. This addon is mostly designed for BBcode, only admins can make HTML pages... this is because the average user should not have the ability to just insert any random HTML into a page.

Thanks for answering a couple questions, though it didn't really make anything clearer. Is there more documentation for this addon? I found the 2012 repository like I had mentioned and a couple good answers, but I'm not really getting anywhere. I realize I am not a coder, but there has to be some kind of documentation for this, right? I have checked as many places as I can for information. Could you please provide a guide or something to get a novice started? I would be very appreciative for some kind of info. Your overview page made this addon seem very simple and it is certainly not.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I am determined and actually want to learn. I just need some resources, YouTube video or something to help me along. I really want to create something awesome with this addon. I am not just complaining :)

Last edited:
@Jaxel another preview page related bug: when creating a new page and the settings (prefix/forum) for a discussion thread are specified, this setting is lost with each page preview. One must re-enter the discussion thread settings after each preview.

@beanfan78, in terms of starting out, I highly recommend you read through XenCarta FAQ. Although it's a bit dated, it'll serve you well with coming to grips with the wiki's templating system. It's quite easy to pick up, and if you already have some knowledge of HTML/CSS then you can put together some rich templates fairly quickly.

As far as I know, there is no formal documentation for this product. So, if you have specific questions about its usage, then you can always try searching first, then asking later, in this thread. I've got a fair amount of experience using this wiki (see http://virtuafighter.com/wiki), as I'm sure other long-time users have as well.

@beanfan78, in terms of starting out, I highly recommend you read through XenCarta FAQ. Although it's a bit dated, it'll serve you well with coming to grips with the wiki's templating system. It's quite easy to pick up, and if you already have some knowledge of HTML/CSS then you can put together some rich templates fairly quickly.

As far as I know, there is no formal documentation for this product. So, if you have specific questions about its usage, then you can always try searching first, then asking later, in this thread. I've got a fair amount of experience using this wiki (see http://virtuafighter.com/wiki), as I'm sure other long-time users have as well.

Thanks and the FAQ was helpful to a degree. I went through the repository and FAQ prior to posting when I bought the add-on. I am just trying to figure out layouts and how to explain to my users on how to use and help grow the wiki. That will be the hard part but this weekend I am going to try to do something with it. I wish there was newer stuff to read, but I am sure I will figure something out. Getting the initial pages going will make life easier.

I'm not entirely sure what you're struggling with, or what you need to figure out, but I created a page for my content authors as guidance to the wiki syntax available to them, including the custom templates I wrote. Feel free to have a look to see if there's anything that might help you get started: http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/wiki-syntax/

I'm not entirely sure what you're struggling with, or what you need to figure out, but I created a page for my content authors as guidance to the wiki syntax available to them, including the custom templates I wrote. Feel free to have a look to see if there's anything that might help you get started: http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/wiki-syntax/

That helps me a whole lot. Thank you very much. Just seeing a layout and all the things you have there will help me put this together. I don't see code how others do so I need to visually see something to learn it. I really appreciate the help. I should be good now.

Hello,

Just got this installed. Problem I am trying to figure out is if you edit a page, you can only change it to the main parent forum. If I want to keep it under a sub-forum, I can't do that. Is there a fix for that?

Also I think if you edit a page, the Parent Node should show which node it's already in instead of (unspecified).

Please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Hello,

Just got this installed. Problem I am trying to figure out is if you edit a page, you can only change it to the main parent forum. If I want to keep it under a sub-forum, I can't do that. Is there a fix for that?

Also I think if you edit a page, the Parent Node should show which node it's already in instead of (unspecified).

Please let me know.

Thank you in advance!
Only forums that are marked as wiki forums can have wiki threads.

If a page does not have a parent node, it will show unspecified...

Only forums that are marked as wiki forums can have wiki threads.

If a page does not have a parent node, it will show unspecified...

Thanks for you reply.

I am not referring to the forums part.

If I click on a page on the Wiki that is a child sub child, the Parent Node option is left as unspecified and you can only choose the main parent forum as an option. I can't choose the child or sub child page.

Hope this makes sense.

So, I just purchased this, and I'm getting this error:

"Sorry, we couldn't find the order you searched for. Please verify the order number and email are correct. If you just placed the order, please check back in a few minutes or look in your inbox for an email containing a direct link."

I literally just purchased it, and it isn't letting me download it or anything.

So, I just purchased this, and I'm getting this error:

"Sorry, we couldn't find the order you searched for. Please verify the order number and email are correct. If you just placed the order, please check back in a few minutes or look in your inbox for an email containing a direct link."

I literally just purchased it, and it isn't letting me download it or anything.
Try again? It says right in the email "check back in a few minutes".

Does this have a way to pull relative content onto the Wiki?

Example: a basketball site, the wiki would have a page for each player. If posts are written about the player on the forum, is there a way for that content to be automatically linked? (Such as a feed)

Thanks.

I am trying to use sortable tables in pages. I created a page and I need to add a table that can sort. I read this page on sorted tables but now what? It's linked in the addon description so I don't understand if this is in the addon already or if I have to add it? I apologize for what is probably something simple to ask, but this addon is beyond my understanding. I gave up from the last time I posted but I am giving it one more shot to see if I can make it usable.

I see this:
  • To use sortable tables, you must set the class of your table to "sortable".
So what does the BBcode look like?
Code:
[table class="sortable"]

Note: I mentally can't comprehend this addon for whatever reason. I just don't know what to put where. So please, if you have the patience ELI5. If there are visual tutorials, or anything that can help me use this addon please link them. I do have the link that @Myke623 gave me. He was a big help, but I gave up in frustration back in April.

Last edited:
Does this have a way to pull relative content onto the Wiki?

Example: a basketball site, the wiki would have a page for each player. If posts are written about the player on the forum, is there a way for that content to be automatically linked? (Such as a feed)

Thanks.
No... but it supports direct loading PHP pages. You can make a script that displays pulled content.

I am trying to use sortable tables in pages. I created a page and I need to add a table that can sort. I read this page on sorted tables but now what? It's linked in the addon description so I don't understand if this is in the addon already or if I have to add it? I apologize for what is probably something simple to ask, but this addon is beyond my understanding. I gave up from the last time I posted but I am giving it one more shot to see if I can make it usable.

I see this:
  • To use sortable tables, you must set the class of your table to "sortable".
So what does the BBcode look like?
Code:
[table class="sortable"]

Note: I mentally can't comprehend this addon for whatever reason. I just don't know what to put where. So please, if you have the patience ELI5. If there are visual tutorials, or anything that can help me use this addon please link them. I do have the link that @Myke623 gave me. He was a big help, but I gave up in frustration back in April.
You need to make a table in a template. Then just add the class sortable to the table.

@beanfan78, hopefully this helps.

How to Create a Sortable Table
This brief guide will show you how to create a sortable table with 3 columns. Being "sortable" means that clicking on any column heading will sort the table by that column's contents. XenCarta is already enabled to support this functionality out-of-the-box, so there's no additional effort on your part besides specifying the class name as "sortable" within your table template (or via stylesheet).

Step 1 - Create the Wiki Templates
Firstly, you need to understand the basic HTML syntax for a table in order to replicate it with wiki templates. Essentially, HTML syntax for a table can be broken down into the following components:
  1. Table Start
  2. Table Header
  3. Table Row(s)
  4. Table End
So go ahead and create a template for each component using the following code samples below. You can name the templates anything you want, but it's advisable to stick to a meaningful naming convention to help your authors.

To create templates, visit your wiki's Special Pages and click on the Create Template button.

Step 1.1 - Table Start
This is simply the opening table tag in which you specify the "sortable" class.

Template name: sortable-start
Template code:
Code:
<table class="sortable">

Step 1.2 - Table Header
This is the single row where you define your column headings. Template variables c1, c2 and c3 are created so that you can define the content of each column when authoring the page. In addition to the headers being clickable for sorting, you can also apply separate styling to the header (<th>) tags to the data (<td>).

Template name: sortable-header
Template code:
Code:
<tr>
<th>{{{c1}}}</th>
<th>{{{c2}}}</th>
<th>{{{c3}}}</th>
</tr>

Step 1.3 - Table Row(s)
This template is used to contain the main content of your table, the actual content. For consistency, the template variables are named the same as the header template: c1, c2, c3.

Template name: sortable-row
Template code:
Code:
<tr>
<td>{{{c1}}}</td>
<td>{{{c2}}}</td>
<td>{{{c3}}}</td>
</tr>

Step 1.4 - Table End
This is simply the closing tag for the table.

Template name: sortable-end
Template code:
Code:
</table>

Step 2 - Add your tables to a wiki page
Now with the main components of your sortable table defined in templates, you can now go ahead and add 3-column sortable tables to your wiki pages via the appropriate template Bbcodes. Create or edit a page, then paste the following code:

Page code:
Code:
[template=sortable-start][/template]
[template=sortable-header]c1=ID|c2=Fruit|c3=Colour[/template]
[template=sortable-row]c1=1|c2=Banana|c3=Yellow[/template]
[template=sortable-row]c1=2|c2=Apple|c3=Red[/template]
[template=sortable-row]c1=3|c2=Orange|c3=Orange[/template]
[template=sortable-row]c1=4|c2=Grape|c3=Purple[/template]
[template=sortable-end][/template]

Result:
upload_2016-7-25_11-10-59.webp

Sorted by Fruit:
upload_2016-7-25_11-12-11.webp

Step 3 - Styling
Depending on how you're styling your wiki pages, your results may vary compared to the screenshots above. In my example, I've got a few basic elements styled in the EXTRA.css style sheet, such as unique colouring for the header and rendering the cursor as "pointer" style to clue the users that it's clickable. But you should style as you see fit.
Code:
table.sortable th {
background-color:#eee;
color:#666;
font-weight: bold;
cursor: pointer;
text-align: center;
}

table.sortable, table.sortable tr {
border: 1px solid gray;
}

Step 4 - Scalability
The above example uses 3 columns for the table templates, but what if you want 4, 5 or more columns for your tables? Simply modify or create alternate versions for the header and row templates with the required number of columns. On your page you can use these in conjuction with the start and end templates and you'll be good to go.

Demo
On my site you can see a demo of the table above, or visit the templates listing for the code samples.

Last edited:
Top Bottom