Conversation Essentials

Conversation Essentials [Paid] 1.14.1

No permission to buy ($45.00)
  • Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
@Daniel Hood , I need an option to turn off the "search" feature of this mod. Basically, I do not want any conversations in the search indexes at all because they are taking up a mammoth amount of the search index and is also really impacting on search relevancy (since 99% of results are disregarded) and also performance. Please can you tell me how to disable this feature and also flush the indexed conversations from the search index (I'm using enhanced / elastic search).

I need the other features but need to disable the conversation search

Daniel Hood updated Conversation Essentials with a new update entry:

Inbox Filters

Inbox Filters
This version provides an inbox filter, essentially a spam folder. You can filter the messages received by the gender of the sender, the age of the sender, how long the sender has been a member of the site, their post count, text in the first message, and a few others.

When a conversation is filtered, the receiver will not receive alerts or emails for messages in that conversation. Conversations can manually be moved in and out of the filtered section.

This feature can...

Read the rest of this update entry...

@Daniel Hood : May I suggest not to bloat up this add-on with endless new (also very large) features, hardly someone needs. I do not feel well to have a huge add-on installed where I don't use even half of the features.

I would find it better to provide massive new features like an "inbox filter" as an extra packaged extension.

Thank you.

@Daniel Hood

I just upgraded to 1.6.

There's a bug in this release as far as I know.

In conversations, when you like a message, the like bar doesn't become visible (i.e. it doesn't show who liked the conversation message).

This used to work fine in the previous version.

@Daniel Hood

I just upgraded to 1.6.

There's a bug in this release as far as I know.

In conversations, when you like a message, the like bar doesn't become visible (i.e. it doesn't show who liked the conversation message).

This used to work fine in the previous version.
Odd, I don't recall that part of it being touched. I'll check it out.

I found the culprit.

Post Ratings 1.7.0

Once I disable Post Ratings, the Conv Ess's like bar shows in the conversations.

I confirmed this same behavior on a fresh XF test install with ConvEss 1.6.0 and Post Ratings 1.7.0.

Why did this start happening only with ConvEss 1.6.0?

I'll try and install an earlier version of ConvEss on my test board and see if it works.

--Doing that now--

I was able to reproduce the problem.

Yes, the like bar shows with both ConvEss 1.5.0 and Post Ratings 1.7.0 enabled.

But with both ConvEss 1.6.0 and Post Ratings 1.7.0 enabled it doesn't show.

It is interesting though that Post Ratings is able to cause this, as it only has the following template modifications and they don't seem to be in conflict with ConvEss's modifications:
Screen Shot 2015-01-30 at 00.52.06.webp

What's more interesting is that ConvEss 1.5.0 and Post Ratings 1.7.0 work fine together, but ConvEss 1.6.0 and Post Ratings 1.7.0 not (well, otherwise they do, but with ConvEss 1.6.0 the like bar does not show up no matter what).

Any thoughts welcome...

After that the ConvEss's like bar shows fine in conversations.

Of course I can't permanently disable "message" template modification because that's a crucial feature of Post Ratings.

Post Rating's message template modification is as follows:

Find:
Code:
<div id="likes-{$messageId}"><xen:if is="{$message.likes}"><xen:include template="likes_summary" /></xen:if></div>
Replace:
Code:
<xen:hook name="dark_postrating_likes_bar" params="{xen:array 'post={$message}','message_id={$messageId}'}" />

In case that helps @Daniel Hood to debug the behavior.

Last edited:
@Daniel Hood no disrespect to the mod overall but can we have an option in the next build to disable convo search indexing?

I don't see the sense in indexing a million conversations when each convo post individually is searchable by only two people (in the majority of cases). Even then, those few people will rarely want convos diluting their regular search results.

I'd turn this off and provide a separate search form in the conversation sidebar that uses a regular old fashioned query instead of maintaining an index, with stemming that is in fact gigantic in proportion to the ratio of users who would have permission to pull a single convo result!

Anyone can pull almost all thread and thread reply results so it's worth maintaining that mammoth index but it's not worth it on convos when the resulting index would pollute the relevancy of standard searches.

Just my 2c.

@Daniel Hood

Another problem appeared after ConvEss 1.6.0 too.

Never before had this.

Whenever a new member registers (has happened for all new members after I upgraded to 1.6.0), the following error appears in the Server Error Log (the below was my own test, signing up with Chrome):
Code:
ErrorException: Undefined index: user_id - library/ConvEss/DataWriter/ConversationMaster.php:126
Generated By: testaus, A moment ago
Stack Trace

#0 /home/markku/public_html/library/ConvEss/DataWriter/ConversationMaster.php(126): XenForo_Application::handlePhpError(8, 'Undefined index...', '/home/markku/pu...', 126, Array)
#1 /home/markku/public_html/library/Tapatalk/Push/Conversation.php(11): ConvEss_DataWriter_ConversationMaster->_postSave()
#2 /home/markku/public_html/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1409): Tapatalk_Push_Conversation->_postSave()
#3 /home/markku/public_html/library/Andy/NewUserConversation/DataWriter/User.php(157): XenForo_DataWriter->save()
#4 /home/markku/public_html/library/XenForo/DataWriter.php(1409): Andy_NewUserConversation_DataWriter_User->_postSave()
#5 /home/markku/public_html/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/AccountConfirmation.php(54): XenForo_DataWriter->save()
#6 /home/markku/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): XenForo_ControllerPublic_AccountConfirmation->actionEmail()
#7 /home/markku/public_html/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#8 /home/markku/public_html/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#9 {main}

Request State

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(78) "http://www.*******.com/account-confirmation/7635/email?c=_dssMboA0I1gUrNj"
  ["_GET"] => array(2) {
    ["/account-confirmation/7635/email"] => string(0) ""
    ["c"] => string(16) "_dssMboA0I1gUrNj"
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }

EDIT #1:
This was an incompatibility between @AndyB's New User Conversation 2.0 and Conversation Essentials 1.6.0.

With only ConvEss 1.6.0, new users don't trigger that error, but when I have also NUC 2.0 installed, new user registrations trigger that error.

Confirmed on the live and test board.

Andy's add-on used to work fine with ConvEss 1.5.0.

I'll be downgrading to ConvEss 1.5.0 for the time being.

EDIT #2:
Downgraded to ConvEss 1.5.0. I don't suffer from the above server error logs anymore and now also the like bar is visible in conversations even when I have Post Ratings 1.7.0 enabled, as described in my earlier post.

Last edited:
I will be fixing the following things by tomorrow afternoon (possibly tonight):

• Conflict with Post Ratings
  • Uninstall server error
I will also be looking into the conflict with AndyB's add on.

@Daniel Hood no disrespect to the mod overall but can we have an option in the next build to disable convo search indexing?

None taken; I'll work on including that. Although it may be 1.6.2 instead of 1.6.1 (tonight/tomorrow's bug fix release).

Reactions: Rob
EDIT #1:
This was an incompatibility between @AndyB's New User Conversation 2.0 and Conversation Essentials 1.6.0.

With only ConvEss 1.6.0, new users don't trigger that error, but when I have also NUC 2.0 installed, new user registrations trigger that error.

Confirmed on the live and test board.

Andy's add-on used to work fine with ConvEss 1.5.0.

I'll be downgrading to ConvEss 1.5.0 for the time being.

Confirmed, I have the same issue with NUC
library/ConvEss/DataWriter/ConversationMaster.php:126
Generated By: XXXXXX, 36 minutes ago

Top Bottom