XenForo 2.0 Discussion!

One other comment I will make though is I'm not a fan of the always logged in box being ticked by default, a security feature like that should always be opt-in, not opt-out to me
I actually use this addon: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/stay-logged-in-checked-by-default-xenforo-1-2-1-3.2004/ so I'm glad to see this (apparently) is a core option now.

it's too easy if someone's on a public computer and doesn't notice it and creates an unnecessary risk IMO. I know there are others that will like that feature so I hope there is an admin option for it.
I would hope that if someone was using a public computer, they would open their browser in a Private window, or be cognisant of the fact that they are on a computer that someone else will be using, and to not leave anything hanging behind. IMO, that's on them.

There's nothing disabled so what you see is pretty much it. It isn't feature locked yet, though, so you might see a few additions, though I really wouldn't expect anything revolutionary. It will actually be closer to feature parity than XF2.

XFMG is a little bit more the other way, hence it not being finished yet. Still, nothing really revolutionary, but some popular suggestions might have been implemented.

Well, we’ll let you guys tell us if they have been implemented satisfactorily or not ;)
Implying that it is physically possible for you guys to make anything the community will find satisfactory :p

Case in point, look at this showstopper:

DSRkhpI.png

If you scroll up ever so slightly, this hideous display of gross negligence disappears:

64J9S44.png

I mean really.

:p

Fillip

I like macOS too but I wasn’t actually sure if that was what you were referring to...

Really liking XF2 on here so far. Loading seems much faster then 1.x. Still getting adjusted to the changes though.

I like macOS too but I wasn’t actually sure if that was what you were referring to...
Haha no, sorry I meant the 1px grey background you see just above the dock :)

For some reason I can't reproduce it now, so I thought you had ninja fixed it earlier, but maybe it's a glitch with Safari on 10.13 (I'm running the Public Beta).

Fillip

For some reason I can't reproduce it now, so I thought you had ninja fixed it earlier, but maybe it's a glitch with Safari on 10.13 (I'm running the Public Beta).

That's probably the problem. I know I have issues with apps and lockups on the latest public beta of iOS 11 and always have issues galore when running them on my Macbook Pro.

That's probably the problem. I know I have issues with apps and lockups on the latest public beta of iOS 11 and always have issues galore when running them on my Macbook Pro.
Preaching to the choir mate, I only upgraded my iPhone because I wanted Messages in iCloud (which never worked for me, and they've now disabled for everyone to rework the feature) and the previous beta saw Maps chain-crashing when driving on the motorway.

Tapping to re-open the app while doing 70+ mph is totally safe as well... :P

The macOS beta is actually quite stable though, and APFS works great :D

Anyway I'll stop dragging this thread off topic now, XF2 is great and I love working with it, can't wait for my schedule to free up so I can get back to work on XF2 versions of our XF1 mods :D

Fillip

On the topic of iOS 11, Apple had to replace my entire iPhone because the downgrade completely bricked it...

This new one is running fine, though I’m too scared to downgrade it hundreds of miles away from an Apple store...

Liam

I actually use this addon: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/stay-logged-in-checked-by-default-xenforo-1-2-1-3.2004/ so I'm glad to see this (apparently) is a core option now.

I would hope that if someone was using a public computer, they would open their browser in a Private window, or be cognisant of the fact that they are on a computer that someone else will be using, and to not leave anything hanging behind. IMO, that's on them.

Hence my comment that some people will like it and that it will hopefully be an admin option.

It's all very well to say you hope people use private windows etc etc but that's just deluded as not everyone is a PC or web whizz or will even just make an error. Best to eliminate it as a risk in my opinion.

Hence my comment that some people will like it and that it will hopefully be an admin option.

It's all very well to say you hope people use private windows etc etc but that's just deluded as not everyone is a PC or web whizz or will even just make an error. Best to eliminate it as a risk in my opinion.
You are right that having it checked by default is "less secure", but you have to find a compromise between security and usability:
I think it is safe to assume that many (I'd even say most) users are not aware of sessions and will run into problems because their session expired and they did not tick the box, which causes them to get confused and ask for support.

This is frustrating to them and causes unnecessary support time for board staff.

I also think that, by now, it is pretty safe to assume that many (I'd even say most) users will be using their own devices (smartphones), so potentially leaving sessions open on public devices has become less of a problem than it was a couple years ago.

Therefore it absoluty makes sense to me to have it ticked by default and to not offer an option to change that as only a small minority would actually want to do that, especially keeping in mind that for example Facebook doesn't even have such an option - users are trained to expect that they are logged in forever until they explicitly log out.
Which in fact is a good thing, as this does also train them to explicity log out on public devices.

Last edited:
@Kirby Interesting points and what you've said with Facebook not offering the option, is one of the reason I no longer use it.

We have a community that is on the whole not very PC savvy yet we've had no complaints/questions about having to log in each time.

Would agree that use of public computers is probably quite a lot less now with the advent of smartphones and tablets etc. At the end of the day it IS personal preference and mine is always to opt-in, not be forced to opt-out of something. A lot like the annoyance of installing a program, Avast Antivirus being one where it 'recommends' Chrome as your browser and you have to untick it or Adobe Flash with MacAfee.

Top Bottom