One man's must-have feature is another man's bloatware ^^
Not talking about revolutionary regarding the other 2 forum software.I'm not one to fanboy a brand, but what exactly have IPS and WBB added that is revolutionary that XF doesn't have?
I agree. I also prefer XF. XF's support and community is A+. The product is very fast and secure and since the new polish it looks also very neat.I don't find XF two steps behind, it's still my preferred forum platform for traditional threaded discussions. It's also far cheaper than IPS and, at least as far as I've found, has a more friendly community in general. I don't know about WBB.
I don't grab the pitchfork. And I am not saying that the changes are trivial.Honestly, use what platform best suits your needs. But XF2 was a great upgrade and changed massively under the hood, to call it trivial is a massive understatement. It's a complete change in design and a well welcomed and needed one at that. For those critical of it in this thread, perhaps wait until the x.X updates which aim to add more usable features before grabbing the pitchforks.
About IPS and WBB.
Both have a calendar(events). This is essential. Any kind of social media platform uses this. Even Twitch integrated a sidebar for incoming events.
Most reddit sidebars have it. Facebook has it and anybody should be familiar with Google Calendar.
I don't want to hear "I don't need it, so it is only essential to you". No, that is invalid arguement, as the majority and the big players have it integrated, both mentioned forum software, too.
IPS also has ecommerce, blogs (so does WBB), cms and since 4.2 clubs. Clubs seems to be very popular.
Even for a discussion forum it makes sense. For example to see birthdays of users listed or to announce daily/weekly/monthly threads for all users to participate in. The question is, which niche actually can't use a calendar at all? You need to name me one example. Any niche can use it. Sure, there will be some who will use it heavily, and some not at all. But saying "it makes no sense" makes no sense. You shouldn't talk like you determine what makes sense or not.A calendar for a social media platform where you can arrange events makes sense. A calendar for a discussion forum doesn't (aside from some specific niches).
I listed more than just "other forums". So Facebook, Twitch and reddit are just "other forums"?Just because other forums include it doesn't mean they're right.
A better question would be how many forums are alive at all so you can go and start deducting numbers from the 1% of the market share forum software hold. Or you just look at the rest 99% (billions of users in social media) and maybe, just maybe you can learn 1 or 2 things.A better question would be how many IPS and WBB forums actually use their calendar? I suspect it's very few.
What kind of a question is this? Why do we need to draw an artificial line somewhere in those intangible words?I guess it all comes down to, is XF a forum or a platform?
So it is actually ok when Social Media steals from traditional forums, but forum software should just stick to its oldfashioned way? Don't innovate, don't progress.If it's a platform to build a website/community around then borrowing things from Facebook, etc makes sense (but Facebook does it better, has a bigger audience and far more resources so you're fighting somewhat of a losing battle).
I am not pushing my agenda of getting calendar build in xf.
I was just replying to the question "mi mi mi, what do others do better, come, tell us".
So I gave a pretty meaningful answer with a good big example.
I am totally sure that facebooks millions of users don't need a calendar. And many of them didn't want it. And many of them don't care.
I can apply your logic to anything, to any feature and on any platform. Your arguement is invalid because it is not an arguement.
By that logic we can pretty much never have enhancements, because with your false logic arguement you can deny any progress for any platform @RobParker
Events don't really help discussions at all
Well, yes.Well, no.
You are so arrogant. So we all want the worst for XF and you the best or what? And according to your majestic view the right path is yours only.As I said, development should be targeted to where it helps XF become the best forum software. Neither adding calendars or newsletters do that as they're on the periphery of the activity that goes on on a forum.
We’re not going to provide a running commentary on development, but I can at least confirm that development of XF2.1 is well under way. And, as is typical with our previous releases and that of our competitors, more details will be released via the HYS forum closer to the time.
We use essential cookies to make this site work, and optional cookies to enhance your experience.