General 2.3 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regretfully, I’m not going to have time to finish this week’s have you seen.

The scope of it is somewhat bigger than I hoped and I haven’t had as much time to work on it as I’d hoped.

To quell any fear of missing out, this week’s is entirely dev focused and doesn’t really have much in the way of new things that we haven’t already discussed elsewhere.

I won’t promise it for tomorrow but I’ll definitely get it out this week.
Style specific template modifications, right!?

I think it's safe to say that even when there shouldn't be any breaking updates on add ons between 2.2 and 2.3, it's best to setup a test forum and see what works or breaks when upgrading to 2.3. And probably test the complete environment for a while before actually upgrading on your live site.

I said there won't be any more HYS threads until after we've rolled it out here. Somewhere between rolling it out here and releasing a public beta most likely.

I said there won't be any more HYS threads until after we've rolled it out here. Somewhere between rolling it out here and releasing a public beta most likely.
Yeah something like that. Hence why i said releasing it soon.
Anyway it's going to be fun looking out for the big announcement once it is released. Am totally for it.
Probably makes life a little more easier for you now that you don't have to do those HYS threads.

I think it's safe to say that even when there shouldn't be any breaking updates on add ons between 2.2 and 2.3, it's best to setup a test forum and see what works or breaks when upgrading to 2.3. And probably test the complete environment for a while before actually upgrading on your live site.
Best advice is to always try in a dev or test environment before taking to production. That applies even to third level (patch) updates like 2.2.14 when it comes. You never know when some little fix is going to break something in your specific environment, esp. if you have a lot of custom. It's how I do things (sad experience over my 24 years in corporate IT has made me a bit gun shy about any kind of update or upgrade).

I'm pretty sure if there were to be big changes like that incoming in 2.3 it would have already been covered in the HYS series?

I'm pretty sure if there were to be big changes like that incoming in 2.3 it would have already been covered in the HYS series?
Yes. I strongly recommend that you go read all of them because you’ll learn a stack of new stuff.
Also read what @Chris D has said because that helps too.
This is what he meant when he is rolling it out.

Reactions: Lee
I really hope they do something about the outdated report system. It very tiring. Check report, go to content, back to resolve the report. It would be much better if reported content has report action attached to it without going back and fourth. I have a very large forum with 30k users and 4.5 million posts. Very hard to deal with amount of reports we get every second. Same goes for alerts. Why there is a need to use the tag system every time you want to call a mod that has already engaged in report comments. There is an add-on I use i think done by @Ozzy47 but still not doing its job. Deleted post should resolve report automatically.

I really hope they do something about the outdated report system. It very tiring. Check report, go to content, back to resolve the report. It would be much better if reported content has report action attached to it without going back and fourth. I have a very large forum with 30k users and 4.5 million posts. Very hard to deal with amount of reports we get every second. Same goes for alerts. Why there is a need to use the tag system every time you want to call a mod that has already engaged in report comments. There is an add-on I use i think done by @Ozzy47 but still not doing its job. Deleted post should resolve report automatically.
Yeah, I have never actually used the report system. We tried at the beginning and found it easier to just send reports to a private forum that only mods have access to. We use prefixes to flag them when they are resolved and I created a bunch of them to cover common resolutions (Deleted Post, Moved Thread, Issued Warning, etc.) I have had good intentions about trying the report system again since we stopped using it probably on 1.5 or just after moving to 2, but with our low posting volumes, a report or two a month is all we get most of the time so the current setup works.

But revamped report system would certainly get me to at least try it again. I assume there is a Suggestion for this? I don't recall but I would vote it up for sure.

Reactions: KSA
There is a pretty detailed warning system in place.
It could be tweaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom