Developer access to Alpha Testing XenForo 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're trying to let people have the discussion as it was always going to happen at some point.

If we close the thread then another one will pop up, and another, and so on, as is always the case.

If the thread devolves into a meta discussion as to whether it should exist or not though, it probably will be closed.

I remember a time, not so long ago, when there were no Add-ons for XenForo. Not a one. Myself, and I believe Steve (steve m?), were part of the alpha team and being members we could ask @Mike and @Kier questions on how to create an add-on for XenForo, it was a big learning curve. They took the time to help guide us; review code, give pointers, and explanations. We both released the first add-ons for XenForo, mine was pretty simple, but it was a start and an example for other coders to go by. Still a lot of coders balked at creating add-ons for XenForo at the time because of the MVC structure.

I wrote a guide on how to write an add-on for XenForo and a lot of coders thanked me for it and some even stated they would not have switched to XF without that guide. Now, today there are a ton of add-ons, and a lot of capable and trusted coders.

XenForo 2.0 will have a "learning curve", IMO, but it won't be anything near to the learning curve XF 1.0 had. Some add-ons will break, certainly, but it should not be that difficult to get them working for 2.0.

Even though I know nothing of 2.0, I can't wait to jump in and code my first add-on for it; it will almost be like the early days. :)

Assuming we decide to run such a program at all, we're not going to be bound by strict criteria, we will do what is best for us and for the community. At the very least there will be an extensive public beta process, over and above that, we just don't know yet.

I'll say again, now really is not the time to start discussing who gets access to code that hasn't even been written yet. We're getting perilously close to having to close this thread, so let's all just take a step back.
We're trying to let people have the discussion as it was always going to happen at some point.

If we close the thread then another one will pop up, and another, and so on, as is always the case.

If the thread devolves into a meta discussion as to whether it should exist or not though, it probably will be closed.
I think the biggest concern for new customers (Like Me) coming from vBulletin with the elite cliques of people that think they are above everyone else and treat people as such is a concern. I dont want to mention names but we all know the crew over at vb.org.

When i came over to Xenforo and the community at large i was pleasantly surprised and happy about how this place felt more like a family than anything else. I agree that we need beta testers anyone would be nuts not to understand that. But lets not create a elite group that craps on everyone else like VB did. We all saw how that turned out. I dont know the answer but lets stay a family. Thats all.

I don't think anyone is trying to place themselves above anyone else. It just comes down to there are people who need to see the new framework and there are others who want to just play with the new software. You may be able to argue that my use of "need" is inappropriate but kier already recognized how important the add on community is to xenforo. If everyone got their hands on the software at the same time, the adaption period will take a lot longer. People aren't going to put a beta version in production mode, they're going to want to test it, then they're going to want to test it with their add ons so they don't take features away from users. Switching the gallery add ons, blog add ons, showcase by @Bob B, reviews by @Jeff Berry, etc will all take time. And that's not even counting the time to learn the new system.

This will be my last post in this thread because it is a nonsensical argument as staff has already pointed out. It's probably a year or more away and at the end of the day Kam will do what they want. If you think you'll have your (big) add ons within a few months of the new system being given to devs, you're crazy.

I hope they make it an application process for early viewing but hoping is all I can do. Obviously you can't make the entire community happy with any sort of system so hopefully that doesn't stop them.

Who gets access and When

I realize my opinion probably won't be popular, but I don't think alpha access for developers of third-party addons/designs is needed.
The public beta period should suffice to address the concerns which prompted the suggestion.
It is also the only way that would be fair to all, as others have already pointed out.

I realize my opinion probably won't be popular, but I don't think alpha access for developers of third-party addons/designs is needed.
The public beta period should suffice to address the concerns which prompted the suggestion.
It is also the only way that would be fair to all, as others have already pointed out.
Really? Do you have any idea how long it takes (and how complicated it is) for add-ons such as @Chris D's Xen Media Gallery, @Bob B's Showcase, @sonnb's XenGallery (just to name a few) to be modified to work with a drastic redesign of the base structure?
I have absolutely NO problem with dev's of the heavy duty add-ons like that being granted early access. Pretty much the same with the styler's. I'd prefer to have the majority of my add-ons compatible with 2.0 when it comes out for gold release than having to wait from 1-6 months for that code to be updated (several of those are not things that can be coded in a couple of hours).

I can promise you that the amount of whining that would be occurring because they couldn't upgrade to the latest version of XenForo because their "important" add-ons's/styles were not compatible would far outweigh the number of those about them having early access.

I can promise you that the amount of whining that would be occurring because they couldn't upgrade to the latest version of XenForo because their "important" add-ons's/styles were not compatible would far outweigh the number of those about them having early access.
Well, if an add-on isn't compatible at release, the wise choice is to hold off on upgrading 'til it is compatible if the add-on is vital for the forum in question.
I don't think it is okay to expect the XF team to spend time to devise and administer a system to allow some "qualified" developers early access.
Their time is better spent serving the community as a whole rather than a select few.

Well, if an add-on isn't compatible at release, the wise choice is to hold off on upgrading 'til it is compatible if the add-on is vital for the forum in question.

The XenForo Team has kind of shot themselves in the foot in this regard. Their betas are so dang stable it's hard to resist upgrading early, even on a busy live site. :D

Accepting bribes for snippets of 2.0 code.

Payment via cash in envelope at a dark empty parking lot.

Forget 2.0, I'm still looking forward to 1.4!
I think I might be the only person here who doesn't want early access though. Take your time, code it well, and announce when it's stable. No rush.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom