UI.X

UI.X 1.5.22.0

No permission to download
There are templates in there that say they need updated. But, it says they cannot be merged.

If you get that you'll have to manually merge your customizations using something like WinMerge or FileMerge

It looks like this is what XenForo uses to generate that error message:
PHP:
$previousVersion= $this->_getTemplateModel()->getLatestTemplateHistoryForTemplate(
   $template['title'], $parentTemplate['style_id'], $template['last_edit_date']
);
if (!$previousVersion)
{
   return $this->responseError(new XenForo_Phrase('no_previous_version_of_parent_could_be_found'));
}

So my guess is that there is no longer a template history stored for the template you're trying to edit, most likely caused by your 'Daily Clean Up' cron that prunes template edit histories. Unfortunately this is completely out of our control.

Another thing that's just been brought to my attention is this issue when creating a thread, the prefix and thread title are spread over two lines as per attachment:
View attachment 125775

I'm getting the same thing with prefixes on my site:

upload_2016-1-12_16-31-42.webp

@Mike Creuzer I may have missed it but I couldn't find an answer from you on this even though you posted a screenshot of @GeeBee's post when you responded to someone else's issue.

Hey ThemeHouse team. My members are reporting that they do not have the quick reply box nor the ability to reply in messages using their iPhone. How do we fix this?

I've just discovered that when viewing my site on a tablet/mobile (and also when I make the desktop browser narrower) and the sidebar is below the forums, I end up with blank sidebar boxes:

upload_2016-1-13_11-31-42.webp

Inspecting one of these, it appears that they are set to a width of 40018px!

upload_2016-1-13_11-33-26.webp

Everything was fine until I upgraded to UI.X 1.5.4.0. I am on XenForo 1.5.4 currently. There are no outdated templates.

It seems to be with each update of UI.X there are more bugs. Not only have I got this, there's the prefix issue mentioned in my last post. It's now got to a stage that I dread updating UI.X.

@Mike Creuzer I've found the issue with the sidebar. For anyone else who has the same problem, there is a typo in the CSS that causes this.

In uix_sidebar.css

Find:

Code:
.Responsive.hasRightSidebar uix_mainSidebar { float: none; }

Replace with:

Code:
.Responsive.hasRightSidebar .uix_mainSidebar { float: none; }
note the missing dot that has been added in before uix_mainSidebar

The prefix issue still needs addressing.

@Mike Creuzer I've found the issue with the sidebar. For anyone else who has the same problem, there is a typo in the CSS that causes this.

In uix_sidebar.css
Think that's already fixed in the latest - or at least it is in mine.

Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 6.18.27 AM.webp
Screen Shot 2016-01-13 at 6.20.46 AM.webp

and that's the same on both of my sites.
But I do have the prefix issue.

Think that's already fixed in the latest - or at least it is in mine.

View attachment 126203
View attachment 126204

and that's the same on both of my sites.
But I do have the prefix issue.
Actually thanks for the heads-up. I reverted uix_sidebar.css and then I force reinstalled UI.X and the sidebar issue is now fixed. It seems they made a second fix but I don't recall anything being mentioned about that.

Still need the prefix issue to be fixed though.

I'm on 1.5.4.0 which I only installed on Monday afternoon (via the auto update method) and this was after the initial packaging issue was supposed to have been fixed.

I've checked the uix_sidebar.css template in the UI.X unedited parent style and the error is in that too.
That's weird.. it's OK in both of mine.. did you try doing a forced reinstall of the style?
See you did and it fixed it... but the prefix wills till be an issue.

After being a little bit concerned about the "bugs" reported I waited until today and installed the latest version. After that I installed XF 1.5.5 and it is all working flawlessly.

Seems that most of the "bugs" that are reported here are originated from incorrect template merging.

What is the order to install/upgrade everything? This is my biggest issue with how everything works and why I now don't upgrade.

Is this the order:

(1) upgrade UIX ADDON
(2) upgrade UIX STYLE
(3) upgrade xF

Then merge any templates.

Will say what I do and it did well till now maybe anyone wants to give it a try and see if it works for you: I upgrade stuff in the order of their releases. Call me superstitious but the stages of the software are based on what the developers have had at hand before their release so it makes sense to me even if it does not always makes any difference.

Generally speaking: Always create a sub-style, never use the UIX style directly.

Upgrade process:
  1. Backup Database and Web files directory (I have daily backups and always upgrade only directly after the backup has finished)
  2. Upgrade in order of the releases (In this case it was UIX and then XF)
  3. Always upgrade the main UIX add-on first and then XF Style (I don't even think the other way around is possible or at least it shouldn't)
  4. Merge Templates for each upgrade step separately (meaning you merge templates after each upgraded part and not in the end for all)
  5. Use "auto merge" whenever possible.
  6. Take time to edit and compare code if automerge is not possible.
  7. For problems see paragraph below this list.
  8. Check after every upgrade step / merging if something has changed or lost functionality (to be sure at what step the layout broke – if it breaks. If you add 5 add-ons and install them all at once, you have no idea at which point it has gone south)
When you have a template error like "does not have a previous/parent version":
Use the "view template changes" function to compare the previous (or parent) version with the current version. Parent template edits are highlighted red while your changes are highlighted in green. If you only see some minor CSS property changes in a CSS template, you can copy/paste the content of the CSS template to your clipboard and then "revert" the template. Then you open that template again and just paste the code from the clipboard and then hit save. It will work.

If you have major template changes in a new version/upgrade and especially if it is a HTML template instead of a CSS template you need to be extra careful: You copy/paste the code to a text file editor and save that file. Then you revert the template and copy/paste that code to another text editor file and save that too. Now you either have to compare both by eye and manually merge the changes or you use software that can compare and merge text files. For example "DiffMerge". You need to use the new template of the freshly upgraded version as your basis and then copy your modifications only back in again. Then copy/paste the final code into the template in XF again and save.
In general, it takes time and you have to pay close attention. Wildly clicking through the upgrade process will get your style greased. If you don't understand what to do then stop and check for help or do research about CSS and template merging.

Last edited:
In general, it takes time and you have to pay close attention. Wildly clicking through the upgrade process will get your style greased. If you don't understand what to do when stop and check for help or do research about CSS and template merging.
Well, considering that the prefix issue is present on both of my sites that use UI.X, and that none of the merges involved those controlling templates that I remember - I'd say it's more a style issue than a updating issue.

I'd say it's more a style issue than a updating issue

My points were for general update processing for any add on or even XF core. You are right, the prefix problem is a general problem that is based on the correlation of XF core and UIX. It can be resolved but it takes code adjustment rewrite in CSS which is not easily done (as I mentioned earlier in this thread)

Thx for the replies @Bionic Rooster & @Freelancer - your replies conflict with each other though :)

I guess that's really my issue in that the style maker should document the official upgrading process and include it in every update they release.

Do other styles have this issue with 'does not have a previous/parent version' "errors"?

Cheers,

Regs.

You can disregard the order of upgrades if you keep the rest strict. Keeping the order of release dates gives structure to the process.

'does not have a previous/parent version

I experienced this with every add-on now and then not only UIX.

Has the thread prefix been fixed already?

Also, after the upgrade, some of my members are reporting that the site doesn't load properly on Safari.

With the welcome modal, the options are bottom left or bottom right, is there a way to centre the modal, as in the centre of the page, not centred on the bottom of the page?

Top Bottom