UI.X

UI.X 1.5.22.0

No permission to download
Ugh.. SO confused.. I dont think ill ever understand how to upgrade this thing.. It makes me want to break stuff every freaking time..... I love this style but every time i have to upgrade i wind up losing my temper and either breaking things or hurting someone..
Mike gives a detailed explanation about this here: Proper Theme Installation, Upgrading, and Usage

It's actually quite simple though. When you create a child style to UI.X (lets call it MyStyle), it allows you to make changes to the UI.X theme but without actually making changes to the parent style itself. So effectively any changes you make to MyStyle are overriding any settings in UI.X. When you update UI.X, the new version of UI.X may make changes to the old version of UI.X. However, the changes you made in MyStyle will still override any settings in UI.X.

By making changes to UI.X directly (ie not having a child style) means that upgrades become problematic as the upgrade will want to change the changes you have made. You don't get this problem with a child style.

Ugh.. SO confused.. I dont think ill ever understand how to upgrade this thing.. It makes me want to break stuff every freaking time..... I love this style but every time i have to upgrade i wind up losing my temper and either breaking things or hurting someone..

I thought that is what i was doing? thats why there are resets on the child settings? but obviously im still doing this wrong.. Ive never had a single update with this style that i haven't had to start completely over from scratch its the single most frustrating thing XF related.. Obviously my fault since everyone else seems to get it..

Yup now i remember why i quit updating this style last year..
Fred, create a ticket. Ill give you my skype or phone number, we can get this working for you so you dont have to worry moving forward.

By making changes to UI.X directly (ie not having a child style) means that upgrades become problematic as the upgrade will want to change the changes you have made. You don't get this problem with a child style.
Thats what i did and Mike said that was wrong.., I thought..

You'd be best getting this sorted now, as once we hit XenForo 1.5 you probably won't be able to stick with UI.X 1.4.3.

If you made changes to UI.X then yes, that is wrong. You should only make changes to a child style of UI.X.
Ive never touched the parent style.. :( ive only ever edited the child and i was told that was wrong.. See where the confussion comes from?

Anyways thanks but ill stick with the old version.. it still works somewhat..
Seriously appreciate the help but im only more confused now.. I better drop this before i kick a cat or something.

Ive never touched the parent style.. :( ive only ever edited the child and i was told that was wrong.. See where the confussion comes from?

Anyways thanks but ill stick with the old version.. it still works somewhat..
Seriously appreciate the help but im only more confused now.. I better drop this before i kick a cat or something.
Where has it ever been said that it's wrong to edit a child style?

Where has it ever been said that it's wrong to edit a child style?
He didnt.. but his language made it sound like i was doing something wrong because my child style has resets.
@FredC On an unrelated note I see you have 'resets' next to every setting in your child theme. You only want to upgrade your parent UI.X NEVER child. Doing so defeats the purpose of having a child theme in the first place..

When he wrote that he noticed resets on my child theme i incorrectly assumed i was doing it wrong still..

I think i did it right the last time (1.4.3) but ill have to wait until Ui.X is compatible with 1.5 anyways, since the installer wont work on 1.5 yet. Except its new to me and im way to scared ill lose my custom work so since Im almost certain i can rebuild this style from scratch manually before 1.5 is declared stable and a update comes out for UI.X anyways.. It is what it is.. I always tll people you got to be smarter then the object your working with or bad things happen.. I guess i just need to take my own advice.. lol ive done it this way at least 8 to 10 times by now..

I dont have the bandwidth to support a skype call and dont have a phone..

Last edited:
Fred, create a ticket. Ill give you my skype or phone number, we can get this working for you so you dont have to worry moving forward.
Can i ask why i shouldnt have resets within the child options?
@FredC On an unrelated note I see you have 'resets' next to every setting in your child theme. You only want to upgrade your parent UI.X NEVER child. Doing so defeats the purpose of having a child theme in the first place.

i believe this is where i went from confused to ultra lost.... Tnhat was the first time i ever created a child and edited it and it only... The parent went untouched unless i made an accidental change or two to the parent.. Ive caught myself doing that a time or two so there may be other instances but as far as i know ive only ever edited the child.. With that an upgrade should go as expected for a change correct? Thats assuming i wait for you guys to support 1.5 officially.

Last edited:
Can i ask why i shouldnt have resets within the child options?

i believe this is where i went from confused to ultra lost.... Tnhat was the first time i ever created a child and edited it and it only... The parent went untouched unless i made an accidental change or two to the parent.. Ive caught myself doing that a time or two so there may be other instances but as far as i know ive only ever edited the child.. With that an upgrade should go as expected for a change correct? Thats assuming i wait for you guys to support 1.5 officially.
If I understand you correctly, when I saw that screen you posted I saw resets on EVERY setting. Which essentially means you export your child as an independent them, defeating the purpose of it being, well, a 'child' or 'dependent' on another theme.

You should have some resets, but only next to things you've changed.

Weird, I've installed the latest version of UIX, but that setting isn't there for me, is there something wrong with my update :\ - I'm on xenforo 1.3.0 - would this be a cause of the problem ?

Weird, I've installed the latest version of UIX, but that setting isn't there for me, is there something wrong with my update :\ - I'm on xenforo 1.3.0 - would this be a cause of the problem ?
No idea.

As it is, this option doesn't seem to work properly. I've received a bug report update from Mike Creuzer who says the option will be removed.

Yes it would be. The version correlates to the xenforo version. Never use a 1.4.X UI.X and a 1.3.X xenforo for example. Use the 1.3.X version of UI.X there is one for every version.

Top Bottom