[DBTech] DragonByte Member Map

[DBTech] DragonByte Member Map 2.5.0

No permission to download
OK Thanks I get it. the location field which would be perfect for plotting you on the map is not used at all. Somehow the map triggers the browsers location features which then drops a pin where it thinks you are, which can then be dragged. Except for lots of people, it doesn't drop a pin, or maybe it drops a pin among thousands of others and they can't find it. Must be something to do with their browser settings maybe. Thanks

This is working well thanks (y)

One thing, could "your" marker be a different colour to everyone elses? Or could their be anotherway of identifying your location on the map? If your IP address dumps you in an area with thousands of others, finding your pin to move it proves almost impossible

If at all possible If the PIn could be a little larger too, as pins on the same IP hide behind each other perfectly. Cheers (y)

To avoid scrolling through multiple pages, please:
1. Why does a member whose location is Las Cruces, NM have a pin dead center in the middle of Albuquerque a few hours away?
2. Since XF member cards have a pulldown to see IP addresses which go from today, back a couple of years, and your mapping program uses the members IP, does it use the "latest" IP address to set the pin? IP's seem to change sometimes daily for members. So would pin locations change automatically too?
3. Assuming the map updates every so often by scanning IP's or locations from our member list, and relocates pin locations, if a member "slides" his pin to a correct location, will it go back to the wrong location on the next scan?

Hope I'm explaining this right as my technical skills are marginal or lame at best. But I am learning......
Thanks.

Last edited:
Why does a member whose location is Las Cruces, NM have a pin dead center in the middle of Albuquerque a few hours away?
Because the geolocation returned that as the location, I have no control over this unfortunately :(

Since XF member cards have a pulldown to see IP addresses which go from today, back a couple of years, and your mapping program uses the members IP, does it use the "latest" IP address to set the pin? IP's seem to change sometimes daily for members. So would pin locations change automatically too?
Unless the member manually placed their pin, it should, yes.

Assuming the map updates every so often by scanning IP's or locations from our member list, and relocates pin locations, if a member "slides" his pin to a correct location, will it go back to the wrong location on the next scan?
I believe manual locations will never be overwritten.

Another question please.
We get these server error logs associated with the member map, I think? I keep deleting them, and we keep getting new ones every day.
My tech guy says:
"Those notices in the error log are annoying, but aren't errors / problems. It's basically a notice because the service couldn't Geocode an IP address to a location, because the geocoding service rejecting the request due to too many requests being submitted. It doesn't represent a problem, but the developer of the add-on should be made aware of this, because they can update the add-on to not generate an error log entry when this happens if they want."
Can you fix this or advise? Thanks.

Capture1.webpCapture2.webp

Another question please.
We get these server error logs associated with the member map, I think? I keep deleting them, and we keep getting new ones every day.
My tech guy says:
"Those notices in the error log are annoying, but aren't errors / problems. It's basically a notice because the service couldn't Geocode an IP address to a location, because the geocoding service rejecting the request due to too many requests being submitted. It doesn't represent a problem, but the developer of the add-on should be made aware of this, because they can update the add-on to not generate an error log entry when this happens if they want."
Can you fix this or advise? Thanks.

View attachment 255238View attachment 255239
Can you please post the stack trace as text instead of a screenshot? Your screenshot is missing important information.

Thanks!

#0 src/XF.php(213): XF\Error->logError(Object(XF\Phrase), false)
#1 src/addons/DBTech/MemberMap/Service/GeoLocate.php(210): XF::logError(Object(XF\Phrase))
#2 src/addons/DBTech/MemberMap/Service/GeoLocate.php(85): DBTech\MemberMap\Service\GeoLocate->_lookupWebService('50.39.202.169')
#3 src/addons/DBTech/MemberMap/Repository/GeoIp.php(88): DBTech\MemberMap\Service\GeoLocate->lookup('50.39.202.169')
#4 src/addons/DBTech/MemberMap/Cron/GeoIp.php(23): DBTech\MemberMap\Repository\GeoIp->scanUsers()
#5 [internal function]: DBTech\MemberMap\Cron\GeoIp::scanIps(Object(XF\Entity\CronEntry))
#6 src/XF/Job/Cron.php(35): call_user_func(Array, Object(XF\Entity\CronEntry))
#7 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(258): XF\Job\Cron->run(8)
#8 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(200): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#9 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(84): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#10 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)

#0 src/XF.php(213): XF\Error->logError(Object(XF\Phrase), false)
#1 src/addons/DBTech/MemberMap/Service/GeoLocate.php(210): XF::logError(Object(XF\Phrase))
#2 src/addons/DBTech/MemberMap/Service/GeoLocate.php(85): DBTech\MemberMap\Service\GeoLocate->_lookupWebService('50.39.202.169')
#3 src/addons/DBTech/MemberMap/Repository/GeoIp.php(88): DBTech\MemberMap\Service\GeoLocate->lookup('50.39.202.169')
#4 src/addons/DBTech/MemberMap/Cron/GeoIp.php(23): DBTech\MemberMap\Repository\GeoIp->scanUsers()
#5 [internal function]: DBTech\MemberMap\Cron\GeoIp::scanIps(Object(XF\Entity\CronEntry))
#6 src/XF/Job/Cron.php(35): call_user_func(Array, Object(XF\Entity\CronEntry))
#7 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(258): XF\Job\Cron->run(8)
#8 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(200): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#9 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(84): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#10 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
Alright, it looks like your site is falling back to the webservice, which is rate limited. Go to the settings, and ensure the "MaxMind GeoIP License Key" setting is filled out. Follow the instructions in the description to get your free license key.

Then, manually execute the "DragonByte Member Map: Update GeoIP database" cron job under the Tools menu.

Once that completes, you should no longer need to rely on the webservice and there should be no more issues with rate limiting.

I have a feeling that they at least need a card on file, even if you're within the free tier.

Edit: I think everyone gets $200 per month credit, after that, you pay.

Yeah, I had mine set up as free with the existing business profile I had but I still see the blank rectangle on the map page. I'm wondering if something about my computer is intentionally blocking it from showing.

Yeah, I had mine set up as free with the existing business profile I had but I still see the blank rectangle on the map page. I'm wondering if something about my computer is intentionally blocking it from showing.
Your browser needs to allow geolocation in order for the map to appear, this appears to be a limitation of GMaps itself.

Top Bottom