[DBTech] DragonByte Social Groups

[DBTech] DragonByte Social Groups [Paid] 1.3.0

No permission to buy ($19.95)

DragonByte Tech

DragonByte Tech submitted a new resource:

[DBTech] DragonByte Social Groups - Create private or public social groups from within your forum.

DragonByte Social Groups is a highly advanced social group management add-on for XenForo, containing advanced features such as fine-tuned permissions, a fully featured posting interface, and an invitation system.

Fully integrated with XenForo 2, DragonByte Social Groups takes advantage of all built-in XenForo 2 functionality like Reactions, Reports, Warnings and more.

Uses

DragonByte Social Groups is perfect for any forum that wants to allow members to create clubs...

Read more about this resource...

One thing (for me a very important thing) is a social groups calendar.
Nobita's SG add-on has a calendar (which @Alpha1 is probably at least one point it won't import), but currently it's limited to whatever the group restriction is set at. Ideally group users would be able to create both group setting (private, hidden, etc) calendar events, but ALSO be able to create those calendar events as publicly viewable, as sometime a group may actually want to have public events that all can attend and the entry of such would be nice.

Are multiple forums per group possible? Like Nobita groups has.
Is there any data that cannot be imported from Nobita groups?
Multiple forums per group is not possible, as I couldn't see a need for them. While working on the importer, I could not find a way to even create additional forums for a group, so I assumed it was a feature that was not yet implemented.

AFAIK, only Calendar data is lost as there is no Calendar feature at the moment.

One thing (for me a very important thing) is a social groups calendar.
Nobita's SG add-on has a calendar (which @Alpha1 is probably at least one point it won't import), but currently it's limited to whatever the group restriction is set at. Ideally group users would be able to create both group setting (private, hidden, etc) calendar events, but ALSO be able to create those calendar events as publicly viewable, as sometime a group may actually want to have public events that all can attend and the entry of such would be nice.
Calendar is definitely a possibility, but comes with a few problems:
1. There is no Calendar feature in XenForo 2.2 to hook into, forcing a custom implementation that may need to be replaced later if/when XF brings out their own (data portability issues)
2. With a custom implementation, it has to look like a native XenForo 2.2 feature.
3. Timezones. All programmers hate timezones.

Given how late in XenForo 2.2's lifespan this add-on was released, I'm going to tentatively say we should wait to see if XF 2.3 introduces a stock calendar feature before I work on a custom one. That being said, I'll bring it up to the person that commissioned this add-on to see if it's something they too would like to be implemented sooner :)

Given how late in XenForo 2.2's lifespan this add-on was released, I'm going to tentatively say we should wait to see if XF 2.3 introduces a stock calendar feature before I work on a custom one. That being said, I'll bring it up to the person that commissioned this add-on to see if it's something they too would like to be implemented sooner :)
As long as calendars have been "requested" for XF over almost the "last decade" I really don't think this is a significant issue with it "suddenly" coming into being. XenForo developers had consistently kicked an adequate calendar to the curb because it did not fit what "they" wanted. XF WELL depends on 3rd parties to implement these functions (specifically calendars and groups), and actually the first one (specifically dealing with social groups and individual calendars) will come out to support their base script, but in a base aspect, your script simply lacks compared to existing ones ( a calendar being at the fore-front). It is READILY apparent that XF has NO real interest in extending their core structure. Hell, calendars have been asked for WELL within the last decade and have been kicked to the curb by the XF developers, depending on third parties to implement it.
It's READILY apparent that XF has NO desire to pursue the base ability much beyond what they currently offer.
I'm pretty sure that an older XF developer/staff representative had a calendar function available back in the 1.x days, and it was a decent offering... but XF STILL chose to ignore it.
The simple fact is that XF currently seems to be fixated on offering basic, simplistic offering to their license holders and they expect any real advancement to be done by third party developers.
Is that right or wrong? Won't make a generic call on that fact, but from my personal position it's ultimately BS.
I simply had a LOT more faith in XF than what they are currently showing "ability of" to their license holders.

Last edited:
As long as how calendars have been "requested" for XF over almost the "last decade" I really don't think this is a significant issue with it "suddenly" coming into being. XF WELL depends on 3rd parties to implement these functions (specifically calendars and groups), and actually the first one (specifically dealing with social groups and individual calendars) will come out to support their base script.
Fair enough!

but in a base aspect, your script simply lacks compared to existing ones.
Not sure if this was meant to say "your script" referring to Social Groups or whether it's a typo and you meant to say "their script" referring to XF, but for v1.0 of Social Groups the goal was to create a really solid core foundation with all the functionality I was commissioned to create :)

I also believe that my solution scales better for large sites, as the other offering uses the thread/forum system under-the-hood instead of implementing a custom solution. From personal testing, XenForo does not like having a very large amount of nodes - especially when rebuilding permissions - so implementing a custom solution that doesn't use the Node system will enable DB Social Groups to scale much better than existing offerings.

Using TickTackk's excellent Seeder addon, I was able to seed over 1,000 social groups with no degradation of performance :D

I also believe the UX is better in DB Social Groups compared to existing offerings, with fewer clicks needed to operate features like icons and banners as well as better edit/save functionality for those features.

All of that being said, the above points may not be relevant to every site, and some sites may depend entirely on the calendar feature which would exclude DB Social Groups by default (for now). I will be starting development of v1.1 this week and will certainly continue to strive to improve this add-on even beyond that :)

I also believe that my solution scales better for large sites, as the other offering uses the thread/forum system under-the-hood instead of implementing a custom solution.
Your offering FAILS in a MAJOR requirement of ANY valid social groups add-on... the simple calendar. Almost EVERY major group setting (specific to a forum) that I can think of can use a calendar SPECIFIC to their group... and taking it a step further, not only to their group, but on off instances to the general public itself.
I've already commented on what an adequate calendar solution would offer. The ability of a group to create group specific and then ALSO general publican event creations. This is currently an area that @truonglv SORELY lacks. If I can find another add-on provider of reputation to provide such, I'd quickly transfer to it. It simply appears that @truonglv doesn't fully grasp the suggestion that was given to him.
Hell, as far as "node groups" are concerned, one can do that easily in XF with custom fields and group promotions.
You REALLY don't offer much more than that in the long run, and honestly, NB's social groups surpasses what you currently offer
I also believe that my solution scales better for large sites, as the other offering uses the thread/forum system under-the-hood instead of implementing a custom solution. From personal testing, XenForo does not like having a very large amount of nodes - especially when rebuilding permissions - so implementing a custom solution that doesn't use the Node system will enable DB Social Groups to scale much better than existing offerings.
Err..... I really don't see where there is ANY difference between your allowance of creation of social group nodes and that of your competitor.
Granted I haven't installed your add-on (not going to spend $125 to test what I already have), but I seriously doubt your group creation settings exceeds what he offers.

I also believe the UX is better in DB Social Groups compared to existing offerings, with fewer clicks needed to operate features like icons and banners as well as better edit/save functionality for those features.
The UIX may be "better"... but until you get a calendar ability, (when compared to NB's social groups) you will be sucking hind teat.
For almost ALL social groups in the niche I am involved in, a calendar is a VITAL feature... and the ability to have bothy group and public entries are vital.
It is simply an area that Nobita's social groups add-on is SORELY lacking and he has been advised of such several times.

Multiple forums per group is not possible, as I couldn't see a need for them. While working on the importer, I could not find a way to even create additional forums for a group, so I assumed it was a feature that was not yet implemented.
We have multiple forums per group in nobita groups. Many of our groups have multiple forums. You can add forums by going to Settings → add forum or URL: /add-forum

Your offering FAILS in a MAJOR requirement of ANY valid social groups add-on... the simple calendar. Almost EVERY major group setting (specific to a forum) that I can think of can use a calendar SPECIFIC to their group... and taking it a step further, not only to their group, but on off instances to the general public itself.
I've already commented on what an adequate calendar solution would offer. The ability of a group to create group specific and then ALSO general publican event creations. This is currently an area that @truonglv SORELY lacks. If I can find another add-on provider of reputation to provide such, I'd quickly transfer to it. It simply appears that @truonglv doesn't fully grasp the suggestion that was given to him.
Hell, as far as "node groups" are concerned, one can do that easily in XF with custom fields and group promotions.
You REALLY don't offer much more than that in the long run, and honestly, NB's social groups surpasses what you currently offer
I appreciate your feedback, though I must say that there are definitely ways of getting your point across without sounding quite so aggressive :)

I understand you're passionate about the functionality you want, but please remember that truonglv and I are real human beings, we're not faceless corporations. I strongly doubt you would appreciate being spoken to in the same manner, even though I could easily do so when discussing the scalability of our two offerings.

If I'm wrong, feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to reply in the same tone of voice :)

We have multiple forums per group in nobita groups. Many of our groups have multiple forums. You can add forums by going to Settings → add forum or URL: /add-forum
It's not something I'm looking to add at this point in time, though if enough people voice their desire to have the feature implemented I would certainly be open to developing a solution!

It's not something I'm looking to add at this point in time, though if enough people voice their desire to have the feature implemented I would certainly be open to developing a solution!
I'm sure there will be sufficient. There was a lot of demand for it that caused Nobita to implement it at the time. I have groups with 1100+ members and 1000+ threads. Multiple forums are useful for such groups. Some groups have a separate group staff forum. Groups are micro-communities. Instead of starting FB groups or their own forum people can start their group. I know there are others who have groups like me.

@DragonByte Tech can we have a demo please?

Last edited:
uffff!! Another great add-on by (the) dragon!
Looks very clean… however, I’m also missing the multiple forums in a group feature… would love to have this.

At this moment, I won’t buy it yet, but once the multiple forums feature is available, instant buy! 🤩

But great job anyways!!! 💪🏼

Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN

Are there any plans to add lifetime licenses like with your other add-ons?

And does the global branding free apply to this one as well?

I appreciate your feedback, though I must say that there are definitely ways of getting your point across without sounding quite so aggressive
What you observe as "aggressive" I observe as strongly emphasizing.
The simple fact is a large number of sites that will utilize social groups will be where participants would like to schedule gatherings and they have a drastic need of a calendar function. The ability to have both public and private events in the associated calendar is also helpful, as there are cases where a social group may plan a public event that they have set up to also have the ability to gain funds from (think car show where various vendors will be present) as compared to "Get together at Bob's house to work on his GTO" which would be specific to the group members itself.
truonglv and I are real human beings, we're not faceless corporations.
You run a business.... all businesses involve "real human beings".

If I'm wrong, feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to reply in the same tone of voice
You can reply with any emphasis you choose to. Simple fact is, some are apparently easily offended, then others are not.
I personally will stick with Truonglv's social groups due to the calendar need, but if you ever do decide to develop that into yours, I'll likely try it also to compare.

Are there any plans to add lifetime licenses like with your other add-ons?

And does the global branding free apply to this one as well?
I’m trying a new pricing structure with this add-on; unfortunately lifetime licenses aren’t really conducive to a sustainable business. In hindsight, I regret adding that option in the first place.

Global Branding Free does indeed apply :)

I’m trying a new pricing structure with this add-on; unfortunately lifetime licenses aren’t really conducive to a sustainable business. In hindsight, I regret adding that option in the first place.

Global Branding Free does indeed apply :)
Lifetime licenses are rarely sustainable... the better solution is pricing your base price and yearly renewals (and if needed branding free) to a reasonable level. I personally have no problems paying the renewal fee for an add-on that does what I need.... the only time I won't is if the add-on has an area of "weakness" that I need and the developer shows no desire to investigate that.
The ONLY big complaint I've ever had about DragonByte add-ons is their one-off banding free cost. Honestly.. it would be better if you did a "add-on" wide branding free (is that what you mean by Global Branding Free?)... I've honestly seen sites that use your add-ons that their footer looks like absolute shyte because of all the "branding" your add-ons do. I don't know if this has changed recently (since I only hit a very few sites that are specific to my niche and none of them use your add-ons) and currently have no need of any add-on that you provide), but at the least, a simple link to another page listing all the associated add-ons would be better than having a "list" (which for some might be lengthy) on the footer of the site.
The reason I ask about the global branding free is stuff like this calls it into question (which is a free download from your site):

Screen Shot 2023-05-04 at 5.32.44 AM.png

Last edited:
Lifetime licenses are rarely sustainable... the better solution is pricing your base price and yearly renewals (and if needed branding free) to a reasonable level. I personally have no problems paying the renewal fee for an add-on that does what I need.... the only time I won't is if the add-on has an area of "weakness" that I need and the developer shows no desire to investigate that.
The ONLY big complaint I've ever had about DragonByte add-ons is their one-off banding free cost. Honestly.. it would be better if you did a "add-on" wide branding free (is that what you mean by Global Branding Free?)... I've honestly seen sites that use your add-ons that their footer looks like absolute shyte because of all the "branding" your add-ons do. I don't know if this has changed recently (since I only hit a very few sites that are specific to my niche and none of them use your add-ons) and currently have no need of any add-on that you provide), but at the least, a simple link to another page listing all the associated add-ons would be better than having a "list" (which for some might be lengthy) on the footer of the site.
The reason I ask about the global branding free is stuff like this calls it into question (which is a free download from your site):

View attachment 285550
I had a quick look. Global branding free is around 300US and applied across the whole range of DB products.

Also it looks like the branding of DB products now are limited to a single footer line with a link to a separate details page listing all DB addons installed on the forum.

Just what I've read from the DBT website as the global BF had me curious too.

If they've finally progressed beyond crapping out your footer with multiple entries into one link... that's great. It's something that DragonByte has been known for for years... spamming ones footer with their add-ons to the point it made it look outrageous.

Looks great, any plans to create a vb3 social group importer ?
That might be something to look into for the future, but wouldn't all this content have been imported as threads by the XF2 importer already? To be honest, I don't know how the XF2 importer handles vB3 social groups.

I had a quick look. Global branding free is around 300US and applied across the whole range of DB products.

Also it looks like the branding of DB products now are limited to a single footer line with a link to a separate details page listing all DB addons installed on the forum.

Just what I've read from the DBT website as the global BF had me curious too.
This is correct on both parts :)

The Global Branding Free for XenForo applies to all XenForo products (as far back as the XF 2.0 versions) and will continue to apply to any and all future XenForo products.

If they've finally progressed beyond crapping out your footer with multiple entries into one link... that's great. It's something that DragonByte has been known for for years... spamming ones footer with their add-ons to the point it made it look outrageous.
Yeah, you're thinking of the vBulletin days where each add-on had its own line in the footer. Back then, that was considered good marketing as Google incentivised it, but that's no longer the case. Both because Google no longer incentivises it (and may even penalise it), and also because people don't like a footer that's longer than the rest of their site :P

Individual links per product have never been a thing for our XenForo line of products, IIRC.

This is how it looks:
1683200067158.webp

Top Bottom