[DBTech] DragonByte Member Map

[DBTech] DragonByte Member Map 2.4.3

No permission to download

DragonByte Tech

DragonByte Tech submitted a new resource:

[DBTech] DragonByte Member Map - Geolocate your members and plot them on an interactive Google map!

Geolocate your members and plot them on an interactive Google map!

Uses

Show your users' locations can be shown on an interactive Google map after being geolocated from their IP addresses.
Also supports the ability to show all users or only those that are currently logged in.
Locations are calculated in batches to ensure smooth performance, or updated by each person using drag & drop.
Markers feature a popup with a mini profile including avatar.

Complete...

Read more about this resource...

Yay, feature requests time if you've used Crispins addon this will make sense.

Provide opt in with default for IP look up.
Provide custom location field with fallback to default location field.
Agps on mobile.
Provide gmaps radius plotting to see members in particular area.
Member map icon on postbit.

Yay, feature requests time if you've used Crispins addon this will make sense.

Provide opt in with default for IP look up.
Provide custom location field with fallback to default location field.
Agps on mobile.
Provide gmaps radius plotting to see members in particular area.
Member map icon on postbit.
As this is just a free mod I put together when I was first updating my middleware for XF2, I don't have grand plans for this addon when it comes to dumping time and resources into updating it :D

Regarding the custom location field, members can already drag and drop their own pins to set their real location - as this only uses rough IP address lookups, my location is showing up as London whereas I'm in Glasgow (my ISP's HQ is in London).

Fillip

As this is just a free mod I put together when I was first updating my middleware for XF2, I don't have grand plans for this addon when it comes to dumping time and resources into updating it :D

Regarding the custom location field, members can already drag and drop their own pins to set their real location - as this only uses rough IP address lookups, my location is showing up as London whereas I'm in Glasgow (my ISP's HQ is in London).

Fillip

Oh sorry, didn't realise this was free. Charge us why don't you :)

Oh sorry, didn't realise this was free. Charge us why don't you :)
Haha nah, this mod was free on vB so it doesn't make sense to suddenly start charging here on XF. The vB Member Map mod is so old I couldn't even tell you when it was first released, it was before our eCommerce tool kept track of the date & time a new update was released :P

Fillip

I think there's a lot of scope for a premium mapping mod with extensibility and integration with other add ons, primarily events.

One big problem with events is informing members that the event is occurring, when all users are on a map then invites can be sent out to users within a close proximity of that event.

Event markers could then also be placed on the map.
Resources could have locations tied to them and be placed on the map.
EXIF info from photos in the gallery could be used to place media and galleries on the map - Sonnb's gallery already does this via the plugins own little map.

Having all this centralised on one core forum map would create a whole new form of content discovery for users as they can browse the world looking for events, media, other users, resources, articles etc.

There's so many possibilities for a fully featured mapping add on that's easily extendible by other mods.

I think there's a lot of scope for a premium mapping mod with extensibility and integration with other add ons, primarily events.
While I don't disagree with you, the problem is that in the majority of cases it would fall to me to add the support for the other mods, rarely if ever would it be the other way around :P

I can count on one hand the amount of times someone has approached me wanting to do the work of integrating their mod with our mods, whereas I would need a few pals to come round if I wanted to count the amount of times customers have requested I integrate with other 3rd party mods.
Not that that's a bad thing, my point is just that by requesting extensibility and integration with other add-ons, 99% of the time what actually ends up happening is that I'd have to do that work myself, no-one's gonna flock to my mod on their own volition :P

What that means is I have to judge whether or not the end result will sell enough to warrant the significant time investment. At this particular point in time, I'm not fully convinced that there's enough forums out there who would have use for an international events mod (vs just on-site events, which there are mods for already).

That being said, I am always open to being convinced, either by a huge show of interest or money. Money is very convincing :P

Fillip

Yeah, I don't blame you. It's probably more fitting to something that's truly integrated into the core with the ability to be built upon and extended by all 3rd party devs.

Yeah, I don't blame you. It's probably more fitting to something that's truly integrated into the core with the ability to be built upon and extended by all 3rd party devs.
Even if I have to turn down requests like that, I do appreciate you taking the time to suggest it :) I choose to read it as you having faith in the fact that if I were to start work on it, the resulting product would be good enough quality for you to happily buy it, and that's always nice :D

Fillip

The upload folder is easy enough....

What should be done with the XML file?
As with all our XF2 mods, this comes packaged with the XF1 version. That xml file is for XF1 and should be ignored.

In the future our site will have a choice when downloading, but not until we have moved to XF2 ourselves.

Fillip

Thx Fillip

My users have postalcode and city in they'r profiles. Can u define the search to this fields as option?

Thx Fillip

My users have postalcode and city in they'r profiles. Can u define the search to this fields as option?
This is only designed to use IP addresses (and manual placement) as options for displaying pins, there are no plans to introduce search features.

Making this mod too advanced would require changing it to a paid mod, and I believe in keeping this mod free so that if anyone wants a basic member map without paying, they should have that option :)

Fillip

Show All Users
If this setting is enabled, only users currently active on your forum will be included in the Member Map.
I'm confused by this. If we check "Show All Users", it WON'T show all? But only those active? Seems backwards...

Second - the map page on my site is just a blank gray square. I'm betting it's something to do with my hosting, but there aren't any requirements listed that I can see. What should I troubleshoot for this?

Thanks!

I'm confused by this. If we check "Show All Users", it WON'T show all? But only those active? Seems backwards...
That'd prob be a typo :)

Second - the map page on my site is just a blank gray square. I'm betting it's something to do with my hosting, but there aren't any requirements listed that I can see. What should I troubleshoot for this?
The last person who had a problem with this it ended up being because his site was running in HTTPS but unsecured, because the main forum URL was HTTP.

Can you double-check that please?

Fillip

Top Bottom