• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Announcing Forum Runner - XenForo iPhone/iPad/Android App!

I am all for a mobile style, but what is wrong with offering your readers an alternative? No one is forced to go get the app, but man people have been extremely negative about installing this on their forum (and in the earlier forums too when talking about TapATalk). It blows my mind. If you don't like it or dont want to use it, dont! It's really simple.

For some reason all my users keep saying the Prompt shows up on every page load. Any idea why?

Nope, it should set a cookie when the hit "Cancel" on the prompt. If it doesn't, that is a definite bug! Can you post me the URL to your forum so I can debug?

thanks!

Edit, just saw the link in your signature. I see the prompt is disabled - can you enable it temporarily? Sorry for the issues!

Only scanned page one and didnt see my question yet. What is the difference between buying the full app and buying the paid app?

Sorry, must have missed it. What do you mean buying the full app and buying the paid app?

If you install the add-on, your users can pay 1.99$ for the full Forum Runner app which allows posting/etc.

If you don't want your users to pay for the app, YOU can purchase a branded license where we build you a custom app for your forum that goes into the app store and is listed for free. Your users then download the free app (with your icon and your splash graphics) for your forum and then use that instead.

Sorry, must have missed it. What do you mean buying the full app and buying the paid app?

If you install the add-on, your users can pay 1.99$ for the full Forum Runner app which allows posting/etc.

If you don't want your users to pay for the app, YOU can purchase a branded license where we build you a custom app for your forum that goes into the app store and is listed for free. Your users then download the free app (with your icon and your splash graphics) for your forum and then use that instead.

How much is a branded license if I may ask? An s it a one off fee/ or re-occurring on a yearly/monthly basis. Thanks. :)

I've written this add-on for many forum types and XenForo was by far the easiest to write it for. The way you guys have written the software makes it VERY easy to write add-on code to extend it. I was extremely impressed at the amount of time you spent on the add-on extensibility in the Admin Control Panel. Adding options was so easy compared to vB and phpBB!

See I tell coders the same thing. But they bash me and say vB is easier to code than XF.... And that too here at the XF forums.

See I tell coders the same thing. But they bash me and say vB is easier to code than XF.... And that too here at the XF forums.
If one is trying to do something really simple, then vB is probably the easier of the two apps to write for due to its procedural approach. However, if one is trying to write code that really integrates with the system and has wide reaching effects, such as Forum Runner, XenForo's modular MVC approach makes this a far easier task.

Thanks for this! I previously used Tapatalk on vB and was waiting for those guys to release a XenForo plugin.

Luckily for me - they haven't yet and I've switched to ForumRunner which feels far nicer and I love the ability to change the header colour, it's a simple but great touch! So far so good, I'll see what my forum users think about it :)

I don't get any mobile prompt though, regardless of the setting being ticked. I've checked the page source and I can't see anything that would reference the javascript. I'm using the Flexile theme, is there something I need to change by hand?

I think I've read the entire thread now and I can't see this request - either that or I've missed the feature in the mobile app!

I can't see the ability to 'like' posts. Will this be added? :)

--

Also, does the application allow the google analytics information under Options -> Statistics & Metrics be used (in the background ofc)? I use google analytics quite often so it would be nice to see if there is an increase on that if people are checking the forums via the application.

Does Forum Runner address the major irritation I have with Tapatalk, which is ...

Google for something. Get the hit I want in the results list, in the form of a built in Android browser link. Hit the forum page in the Android browser. Popup appears telling me that the forum is Tapatalk enabled, and gives me a link to install Tapatalk ... even if I already have Tapatalk installed and the site in question is already in my subscribed list. So I have to open Tapatalk, then search again for what I already found in Google.

Whereas what I'd obviously like to happen is to simply have Tapatalk / Forum Runner integrated into the Google search.

I've only just started looking at Android development (got the SDK and Eclipse plugin going yesterday, and "Hello World" running, but that's about it!), but I would hope that Google search would have an implicit intent that could be used.

-- hugh

Does Forum Runner address the major irritation I have with Tapatalk, which is ...

Google for something. Get the hit I want in the results list, in the form of a built in Android browser link. Hit the forum page in the Android browser. Popup appears telling me that the forum is Tapatalk enabled, and gives me a link to install Tapatalk ... even if I already have Tapatalk installed and the site in question is already in my subscribed list. So I have to open Tapatalk, then search again for what I already found in Google.

Whereas what I'd obviously like to happen is to simply have Tapatalk / Forum Runner integrated into the Google search.
-- hugh

Yes that problem exists.

Popup appears telling me that the forum is Tapatalk enabled, and gives me a link to install Tapatalk ... even if I already have Tapatalk installed and the site in question is already in my subscribed list. So I have to open Tapatalk, then search again for what I already found in Google.
The pop up can be removed. It's something that I keep on forgetting to do myself.

Thanks for this! I previously used Tapatalk on vB and was waiting for those guys to release a XenForo plugin.

Luckily for me - they haven't yet and I've switched to ForumRunner which feels far nicer and I love the ability to change the header colour, it's a simple but great touch! So far so good, I'll see what my forum users think about it :)

I don't get any mobile prompt though, regardless of the setting being ticked. I've checked the page source and I can't see anything that would reference the javascript. I'm using the Flexile theme, is there something I need to change by hand?

Probably. Unless the theme has the "page_container_head" template hook, you will need to manually add the detect code.

You can do so by adding:

HTML:
<script type="text/javascript" src="/path/to/forumrunner/detect.js"></script>

Into the template for the header somewhere. Obviously change the /path/to to the path to your forum's installation.

I think I've read the entire thread now and I can't see this request - either that or I've missed the feature in the mobile app!

I can't see the ability to 'like' posts. Will this be added? :)

--

Also, does the application allow the google analytics information under Options -> Statistics & Metrics be used (in the background ofc)? I use google analytics quite often so it would be nice to see if there is an increase on that if people are checking the forums via the application.

Yup, I'm going to work on that today. "Like" and "Alerts" support along with push notifications for Alerts.

As for the analytics.. Not sure. I assume this setting injects javascript into the footer or something of every page, right? That won't work with Forum Runner as we aren't using a WebView to fetch the data, so there isn't a javascript processor involved. We pull the data from the database and encapsulate it via JSON to send back to the app, which then simply displays it.

Top Bottom