• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Announcing Forum Runner - XenForo iPhone/iPad/Android App!

Wow, this is the first mobile discussion on Xenforo that gather this much serious interest.
Way to go Clemson. Can't wait for future releases.

Does Forum Runner address the major irritation I have with Tapatalk, which is ...

Google for something. Get the hit I want in the results list, in the form of a built in Android browser link. Hit the forum page in the Android browser. Popup appears telling me that the forum is Tapatalk enabled, and gives me a link to install Tapatalk ... even if I already have Tapatalk installed and the site in question is already in my subscribed list. So I have to open Tapatalk, then search again for what I already found in Google.

Whereas what I'd obviously like to happen is to simply have Tapatalk / Forum Runner integrated into the Google search.

I've only just started looking at Android development (got the SDK and Eclipse plugin going yesterday, and "Hello World" running, but that's about it!), but I would hope that Google search would have an implicit intent that could be used.

-- hugh

That would be extremely complex to implement (if possible at all). The sheer number of corner cases involved in this already is making my mind reel. :-)

Probably a silly question, but I rather confirm first.

I wouldn't personally use this, I would use this on my site so those who desire to use it - can.
I prefer the full browser myself, at most times.

Once installed, if I browse to my site will it detect mobile now and provide me with something for the program to use, or will the safari browser on ios still show me the normal full site, rather than optimized for the app?

Probably a silly question, but I rather confirm first.

I wouldn't personally use this, I would use this on my site so those who desire to use it - can.
I prefer the full browser myself, at most times.

Once installed, if I browse to my site will it detect mobile now and provide me with something for the program to use, or will the safari browser on ios still show me the normal full site, rather than optimized for the app?

It still shows the full site. If you are browsing via a supported mobile OS you will get a one-time popup (if enabled) that directs users to your app (if its branded) or the main Forum Runner app (if not). Once they hit OK or Cancel it set a cookie so they won't get the popup again.

It still shows the full site. If you are browsing via a supported mobile OS you will get a one-time popup (if enabled) that directs users to your app (if its branded) or the main Forum Runner app (if not). Once they hit OK or Cancel it set a cookie so they won't get the popup again.

For alerts there is no way to classify the different types is there?

Between quotes, likes, and the new @ tag alert( which my forum has gone CRAZY over) it be cool if you could classify and turn on and off push notifications for. Retain ones.

For alerts there is no way to classify the different types is there?

Between quotes, likes, and the new @ tag alert( which my forum has gone CRAZY over) it be cool if you could classify and turn on and off push notifications for. Retain ones.

Hmm.. Maybe. Likely the first version will just support all alerts the user has their profile configured for.

Are there any plans in roadmap of this company/product to change the plugin to paid only, so site owners can't (continue to) use it for free? Or is the intention to keep it free, and generate income via the client side.

Thanks. The reason I am asking is because the add-ons and such we are choosing for sites are chosen to be used for the long run. Flippety flopping of company decisions is what I try to leave behind me. XenForo is a great place to look into the future with, and I think this app certainly can compliment the site. Added to todo list.

Thanks. The reason I am asking is because the add-ons and such we are choosing for sites are chosen to be used for the long run. Flippety flopping of company decisions is what I try to leave behind me. XenForo is a great place to look into the future with, and I think this app certainly can compliment the site. Added to todo list.

Forum Runner will be here for the long haul. :)

One thing that would be useful to fix if possible is that on XF (and on VB), some nodes aren't forums but the app still treats them as such.

For example, I have a link to our chatroom as one of the nodes and this node shows up in the app as if it was a forum but gives an error if you try to follow it. It'd be much better if it either didn't show the node or gave the option of opening it in a browser instead.

Also a minor thing, currently it gives the categories and you have to click on one to get the forums in that category and then click on that forum. It'd be nice to have an option to just show all the forums without the category hierarchy.

One thing that would be useful to fix if possible is that on XF (and on VB), some nodes aren't forums but the app still treats them as such.

For example, I have a link to our chatroom as one of the nodes and this node shows up in the app as if it was a forum but gives an error if you try to follow it. It'd be much better if it either didn't show the node or gave the option of opening it in a browser instead.

Is it set up as a "Link" to a URL? If so, it should show it as a Link icon and if you tap it, it opens in an in-app browser. If that's not the case, its a bug. Which forum is yours?

Also a minor thing, currently it gives the categories and you have to click on one to get the forums in that category and then click on that forum. It'd be nice to have an option to just show all the forums without the category hierarchy.

I imagine this wouldn't work well as people might have nested categories with sub-forums under them.. removing categories would make everything jumble up.

Maybe removing the top level categories would work, but I'm not sure how that would look...

It's set up as a "Page" node, rather than a Link.

The category thing, it'd be good to have the option. I understand why it's like it is but it's an extra navigation click which isn't really needed. Just having the option of removing the top level categories would help a lot but like I said, it's not a big deal.

If members download a paid version for $1.99, they can use on all the forums that has this installed?
If the owner of forum A installed a branded app, his members will be able to download for free to use on forum A.
If owner of forum B installed branded version, do these same members have to download the version for B?

From the screenshots, looks like members have to install basically the same app but different brands from numerous forum they go to?

And what stops members from download it for free from a forum that has branded version and then use it for all forums?

The free branded app just works on the one forum it's branded for (I have the talk photography app installed for example). So yeah, I think the branded app is unique and you'd have to install a separate one for each forum you use.

If members download a paid version for $1.99, they can use on all the forums that has this installed?
If the owner of forum A installed a branded app, his members will be able to download for free to use on forum A.
If owner of forum B installed branded version, do these same members have to download the version for B?

From the screenshots, looks like members have to install basically the same app but different brands from numerous forum they go to?

And what stops members from download it for free from a forum that has branded version and then use it for all forums?

The 1.99$ app can reach all forums in the Forum Runner network. The free branded versions only reach the forum that it is branded for.

There are a few branded forum owners that didn't want their forums reachable by the 1.99$ app, so they opt-out, but by default the branded forum is listed in the main Forum Runner directory. This way, if the user already had paid for the 1.99$ app they can just use that one to get into the branded forum. The free branded app is for those who don't have the 1.99$ app and don't want to pay for it.

Is it set up as a "Link" to a URL? If so, it should show it as a Link icon and if you tap it, it opens in an in-app browser. If that's not the case, its a bug. Which forum is yours?

Yeah i have a similar issue if you browse my forum through the app and click the link to our facebook page it takes me to google
confused.png
:)

Top Bottom