Interest in a XenForo specific iphone/android app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the planned feature set for this app?

It will be mainly focused on the end user forum engagement, so everything you would expect there. We also aim to include support for the official XenForo addons (though this most certainly wont be first release). Hopefully on first release will also contain support for moderator actions.

The apps will work directly from App <> Your Server, no middleman stuff, your users are your users, not ours. Push will be the only 3rd party part.

The forum specific and self branded apps will contain support for a handful of ad templates as well for in-app advertising, the self-styling options will all be set from the ACP of the board, so things like colors and logos will all be customizable there.

The main thing is we will be aiming for stability and quality, we dont want to rush out half-finished or buggy features.

It will be mainly focused on the end user forum engagement, so everything you would expect there. We also aim to include support for the official XenForo addons (though this most certainly wont be first release). Hopefully on first release will also contain support for moderator actions.

The apps will work directly from App <> Your Server, no middleman stuff, your users are your users, not ours. Push will be the only 3rd party part.

The forum specific and self branded apps will contain support for a handful of ad templates as well for in-app advertising, the self-styling options will all be set from the ACP of the board, so things like colors and logos will all be customizable there.

The main thing is we will be aiming for stability and quality, we dont want to rush out half-finished or buggy features.

Very cool regarding the ads.

How would the shared native app work? Would it look a little bit like the Tapatalk app? Where you can browse a bunch of other forums and sort/filter on topics and so forth? "Tech forums", "Car forums" etc.

Very cool regarding the ads.

How would the shared native app work? Would it look a little bit like the Tapatalk app? Where you can browse a bunch of other forums and sort/filter on topics and so forth? "Tech forums", "Car forums" etc.

Yes, in a similar way.

Is the aim of this timeframe wise for XF2? (I can't imagine you getting anything out sooner but thought it was worth clarifying).

We'd be interested in a forum-specific app but would probably need a few more details before deciding if self-styling or white-label would be the way to go (and would we need developer accounts on iOS/Android for the white label version, etc).

Here are some features that would make an app very interesting to me:
  1. PUSH notifications.
  2. Share image / video from the phone to XFMG.
  3. Share file from the phone to XFRM.
  4. Use location to fill XF location.
  5. Add XF contacts to phone contacts.
  6. Send XF conversation message to phone contact.
  7. Invite phone contacts to XF.
  8. Speech to post.
  9. Share calendar event to FS Events.
  10. PUSH notification preferences in XF account.

Here are some features that would make an app very interesting to me:
  1. PUSH notifications.
  2. Share image / video from the phone to XFMG.
  3. Share file from the phone to XFRM.
  4. Use location to fill XF location.
  5. Add XF contacts to phone contacts.
  6. Send XF conversation message to phone contact.
  7. Invite phone contacts to XF.
  8. Speech to post.
  9. Share calendar event to FS Events.
  10. PUSH notification preferences in XF account.

A lot of what you mention there is quite specific, and definitely wouldn't be first release:

1) Push is going to be included
2+3) Official addon support still TBD.
4) Seems somewhat superfluous?
5) XF contacts? As in people you follow?
6+7) Seem quite specific, and would only really be added if the demand was there, or on an ad-hoc dev basis.
8) Not even something I considered to be honest, though interests me
9) 3rd party addon integration is highly unlikely anytime soon.
10) This will obviously be added.

4. Yes, indeed. Unless your forum is about something location related like trekking for example.
Location Checkin is something that I think will be interesting once addons like Showcase are included.

5. You are right. XenForo does not have a solid contacts or friends function. Hopefully this will come for XF2.
For now this means that XF members can be added to phone contacts on a per member basis. This would still be interesting.

6. Will only work if if 5 is implemented.

7. This would be a quick way to expand memberbase and therefore very interesting. What I am suggestion is not a one click invite to all contacts a member has, but a function that shows the members phone contacts and a tickbox selection of who they want to invite.
Once this is implemented, it would be nice to have a usercriteria, so we can reward members who invite their contacts to the forum.

Last edited:
Self styling vs white lable. Whats the difference?
Do you mean self-styling will be you have the style that app has and that's it?

Self styling vs white lable. Whats the difference?
Do you mean self-styling will be you have the style that app has and that's it?

Options such as the app colors, logo etc will all get pulled from the XenForo addon you install, that is self-styling and will allow you to update basic style options in the app without the need to re-publish or similar.

The white label would be similar to XenForos branding free, in that the base app name wont be visible anywhere in the app. It may also have some bonus options.

hello,

sorry if i missed this part.

are you going to offer full rich text edit / rendering support? ( in terms of bbcodes etc).
i am also developing a native app (just my forum) and so far its proven to be the two biggest challenges.

Would be interested in the White Label solution including source code. Because we have to add code for a lot of add-ons. Will this be available?

It will be an App, for XenForo. When combined it becomes the mighty XenFApp that everyone has been waiting for! It's the only logical choice.

$15 a month for a forum-specific app with self styling
$25 a month for a forum-specific branded app (kind of white label).

What's the difference between these two? In particular how the user obtains it?

Would they both have their own app listing in the app store where the app only gives users access to that one forum?

I'm not completely clear on what the difference is between self styling and branded if they both end up looking custom styled and are their own private app?

Ahh sorry. Missed that, of course, branding free makes sense. All 3 options sound like great deals in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom