• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Announcing Forum Runner - XenForo iPhone/iPad/Android App!

Hey doofus.. what does it take to buy this? Ive been trying to add you on Skype. Dont make me call Brent.

For those of you fretting over the price, I realize Im new here but Ive been around the forum biz a LONG time.. Rob (Clemsonjeeper) is a straight up guy. Ive known him well over 10 years and even tho he's a doofus, he's a stand up dude.

<3 ;)

Forum Runner looks quite nice... One thing that I've always been curious about (and is a major reason we haven't licensed a branded implementation) is the push notification.

Specifically is there some technical reason our users would need to signup for an additional account with you in order to utilize it?

Yes, because we need to associate a user on your forum to a specific device. Your user can be on multiple forum runner sites with different usernames, and they want a total of all the notifications for the sites. So we have a single push notification user which keeps this data all synced up.

Yes, because we need to associate a user on your forum to a specific device. Your user can be on multiple forum runner sites with different usernames, and they want a total of all the notifications for the sites. So we have a single push notification user which keeps this data all synced up.
Does this apply to the branded version though? I thought the branded version is only for the specific site it's branded for so push notifications coming from that app should only be for the site the app is for. If the user *also* has the generic version of the app for multiple sites, the push notifications should come separately from that... at least that's what I assume.

Either way, we have been looking at options for our own mobile app and Forum Runner's branded option looks really good except for this one sticking point. It's a bit kludgey for the user to install the app and then be like, "Okay, now you need to open a browser and sign up for a *different* account on a third party site if you want to be able to get notifications about your Digital Point account." Kind of defeats the whole purpose of having push notifications imo (they should be simple to use).

You don't need to open a browser to sign up for push notifications, it comes directly from the app.

Granted, we came up with the push notification system 6 months before we considered branded apps, so it is a legacy issue. Perhaps in the future we can migrate branded apps from requiring the signup, but this would need to be planned out well considering the sheer number of existing branded apps installed as well as push notification users.

Well hopefully you guys consider revamping how it works before too long. As far as the end user is concerned, when using a Digital Point mobile app to get push notifications about their Digital Point account, they are going to be put off and confused about why they need to set up a third party account to get push notifications.

Like imagine if the PayPal app (that you log into with your PayPal account) required you to signup for a third party account from a company you may not have heard of in order to get notifications about your PayPal account. As an end user, I would just uninstall the app thinking somehow it's a fake app trying to phish me.

I thought the newer version would lesson the number of crashes, but it hasn't. Guess I'll wait a little longer.

Edited to add: Whoops, the plug-in obviously doesn't match the app version. I have version 1.3.8 of the app, and it crashes every time I try a search.

I've never got push notifications to work through Forum Runner because it keeps telling me that Google hasn't published a unique token to my device yet, although I'm logged into gmail, google calendar and google music for as long as I've known.

I use Forumrunner purely because it's the only one that works with https. Tapatalk is useless and fails with https.

I agree whole heartedly about the push notifications for branded apps. I was looking at this for my own site, but then receiving joint notifications and a third party entity, through me of the idea as well.

Top Bottom