[XFA] Media Of The Month

[XFA] Media Of The Month [Paid] 3.6.0

No permission to buy (€6.00)
Ugh...changing the settings of the contest re-started the contest, so now I have 2 going and the album names are identical. Had to delete the albums and thread and step back and reconfigure. So once a contest is running is it going to churn away in the background even if I delete it?? I'm running damage control right now ugh!!

Which setting ? The day start one if you do change it of course a new one will be created.

Removing the contest and the thread will do it.

I had the contest set to start on day 15 (today). There was one that started per the cron that ran at 12:01am, so one already was running.

I then changed the setting for "separate threads" to "single thread", saved, and ran the cron job. That started a second contest with the same name, same album name, etc. I didn't see any errors thrown but the concern is that it appears if you change the settings while a contest is active, it appears that it would start a second contest.

I think this is mainly an awareness thing but I could see issues where two people are not talking to one another and you end up with multiple contests running. I guess that depends on when the cron runs though and how it pulls the info for the posts.

Maybe this will clarify my question:

When you change the entries in the ACP side, let's say on day 2 of the contest (maybe you want to change the wording of the posts) will this get updated from that point forward for a current MOTM contest or will that only get rolled into the next contest initiation?

Removing the contest and the thread will do it.
That's good because that's what I did - removed all albums and posts, set up the ACP options again and ran the cron, seems to be going OK now

Which params would you want edited elsewhere ?
Well I'm not sure if this is possible but rather than the contest running on a fixed day with fixed text in the ACP I would rather see the whole thing operated on the front end. Also while I see the value in running a contest automatically on a schedule (this actually forces us to make it happen) it would be nice if one could set up and initiate the contest from the front end, and be able to run more than one contest concurrently if they wanted.

Earlier in this thread you stated the difference between this addon and the Medias Contest being mainly one uses XFMG and one does not, but that one seems to be fully configurable from the front end (you can even select by usergroup who can vote and submit on a per-contest basis) so they are actually quite a bit different, problem is I like the XFMG integration but the setup is attractive on the other addon

I had the contest set to start on day 15 (today). There was one that started per the cron that ran at 12:01am, so one already was running.
I then changed the setting for "separate threads" to "single thread", saved, and ran the cron job. That started a second contest with the same name, same album name, etc. I didn't see any errors thrown but the concern is that it appears if you change the settings while a contest is active, it appears that it would start a second contest.
I think this is mainly an awareness thing but I could see issues where two people are not talking to one another and you end up with multiple contests running. I guess that depends on when the cron runs though and how it pulls the info for the posts.

Yes, there is no check done. The cron starts a new album as long as the date corresponds.
You shouldn't be changing the date if the day is not already passed this month, I should perhaps warn in the options.

Well I'm not sure if this is possible but rather than the contest running on a fixed day with fixed text in the ACP I would rather see the whole thing operated on the front end. Also while I see the value in running a contest automatically on a schedule (this actually forces us to make it happen) it would be nice if one could set up and initiate the contest from the front end, and be able to run more than one contest concurrently if they wanted.

That's not how the add-on was meant to work. The product was made to automate monthly contests.

Earlier in this thread you stated the difference between this addon and the Medias Contest being mainly one uses XFMG and one does not, but that one seems to be fully configurable from the front end (you can even select by usergroup who can vote and submit on a per-contest basis) so they are actually quite a bit different, problem is I like the XFMG integration but the setup is attractive on the other addon

Well yes as a matter of fact the main difference is that it's integrated to XFMG and hence gives you all the functionality that the XFMG gallery provide.
But how they work is different, I thought it was clear from the description though.

You shouldn't be changing the date if the day is not already passed this month, I should perhaps warn in the options.
I figured that out pretty quick through trial and error, it just wasn't clearly stated "once the contest has started, don't change anything!"

But to clarify my question, let's say you start the contest on day 1, then on day 3 you change the text of the post for a new submission. Does this take effect immediately, or is everything "locked in" once the cron runs and initiates the contest?

So, if you make any changes to the ACP options page while the contest is running, does that cause the contest to suddenly stop running until a new one is started up??

The product was made to automate monthly contests.
And that still works great for us!

No no, apart from that one there are options that get saved to avoid bad behaviors:
  • Number of days to submit
  • Number of days to vote
  • Number of medias per user
  • Number of votes per user
  • Thread ID
Of course we are talking of mode 1 here.

You're welcome, don't hesitate to suggest any new features you would like to see on our website.

Mode 2: No dedicated album, each month users votes for any medias in the gallery,
I would like to see the ability to select a specific XFMG gallery and members could vote on what's in that gallery only.
Is this doable?

Depends what you defined as "soon" :)

The previous release providing new features was not so far ago so I don't plan to do a new one just right right now.

Depends what you defined as "soon" :)

The previous release providing new features was not so far ago so I don't plan to do a new one just right right now.
Within the next few weeks, being able to select a specific category is important for what I'm working on. :)

This is most definitely a bug!! Requested bug report to be re-opened on your site

ACP settings
MOTM ACP.webp
Database (entries where it says "3" were manually changed after contest start, last one that is "1" is the current contest, which I haven't changed yet)
MOTM DB.webp

Also is this addon compatible with the lasted XFMG update? Please verify, I don't want it to go haywire if I update XFMG, thinking I will do that after the contest is over anyways

Thanks for reporting, it should work yes are changes are limited in this version but haven't tried yet.

@MtoR

Think I hit a bug, I've set it up to reopen contest after a tie and award to both on second tie. I have a 3-way tie and it seems to just reopen the contest again and again (and apparently users not able to vote).

How can I manually end the contest (and trigger award both) or at least clean up?

Well this indeed seems to be a bug.

There is no clean way I think to clean that up unless the bug is fixed.
Please report it on our site.

Top Bottom