XF2 [8WR] Discord Integration

XF2 [8WR] Discord Integration [Paid] 2.1.1.9

No permission to buy ($30.00)
I couldn´t find another thtead, where this thread would fit in better. Jaxel, I hope it´s okay to post it here, else please feel free to get this post moved somewhere else.

International customers: I would like to ask for your help.

I am trying to built a global (and therefor: a multilingual) forum - and yes, I´m aware that this is never been done before and some consider it impossible to do. May be they are right, but until now I haven´t found anything, that couldn´t be handled the one or other way. Indeed, the project is more a proof-of-concept to see, wether it´s possible or not - or at least, how close I can get.

As I assume the Discord integration is running on at least 100s of websites, there have to be some translations out there.

If you are one of those who did a translation - partial, only frontend or complete - I would like to ask you, if there could be circumstances you could share your translation with me. Of course, that includes that I am willing to pay a fee.

Translations searched for are:
  • Italian
  • Portogese
  • German
  • Spanish
  • French
  • Russian
  • Ukrainish
  • Polish
  • Dutch
  • Swedish
  • Norwegian
  • Finnish
  • Turkish
  • Serbian
  • Romanian
  • Arabic
If you are running the Discord integration in one of the languages, you know someone or a website that does, I would really appreciate each and every hint. Wether here in this thread or in a private conversation.

Thanks!

Never had rate limit issues myself.

Your forum is also an order of magnitude and change less active than mine.

I'm not sure what sort of argument that is for outright refusing to handle rate limit notices. At least have the courtesy of acknowledging they exist for some people.

Your forum is also an order of magnitude and change less active than mine.
Then you should consider turning features off one by one, until you no longer have the issue. I would suggest either turning off new posts/threads or conversation messages first.

Then you should consider turning features off one by one, until you no longer have the issue. I would suggest either turning off new posts/threads or conversation messages first.

I was one of the people asking for a way to turn conversation messages down or off, if you care to remember.

I only have my announcements forum enabled, which gets a thread every two weeks, which never blocks.

It might be cron's fault, since if it blocks for any reason it will keep retrying on each cron run. It is still up to you as author to handle 429 responses appropriately.

It might be the way the addon was coded doesn't cope well with Discord's API, such as spamming unnecessary requests.

On the scripts and all that I poked with Discord, the only times I faced rate limitation was because of bugs or bad optimization on the script interacting with the API, not because the function would ever be that intensive.

The only times this addon contacts discord are when: (each sync is 2 requests)
  • syncs next user on list, every five minutes at most
  • user logs in using Discord credentials
  • user links their account to Discord
  • user gets username change (and sync nicks is enabled)
  • user gets usergroup change (and sync roles is enabled)
  • user gets banned (and sync bans is enabled)
  • user gets a private message (and convos are enabled)
There are also the optional bot channel posts you can add in, which would be 1 request each.

I can't imagine how these could reach rate limits. The whole point of setting the automatic sync to only once ever five minutes is to avoid the rate limits. But rate limits on a per-endpoint basis... So you gotta tell me WHAT is getting rate limited.

Its not useful to tell me you're getting errors... without actually telling me what the errors are.

Last edited:
I didn't save it, unfortunately. It is a system error that triggers every cron run because it keeps trying to run your sync again, causing every cron run from that point on to fail, which makes every cron run try to run your sync, which means that once this starts on any sizeable forum it effectively shuts down cron. It's then not enough to even just turn off sync, because it's still going to try to sync every cron run.

It reports Discord's 429 error and a stack trace of your cronjob.

If it happens again I'll post a screenshot. I'm not going to try to trigger it again, though. It made a giant royal mess.

Jaxel updated XF2 [8WR] Discord Integration with a new update entry:

2.0.2.2 - CHANGELOG

• Real-time syncing of username/usergroup changes has been disabled. It can be re-enabled with a new option in the admin CP. This change was made due to possible rate limits being hit during mass usergroup promotions on large forums. Re-enable this option at your own risk.
  • Fixed an issue where post count numbers could be increased by 2 instead of 1 on new posts after they are sent to Discord.

Read the rest of this update entry...

@Jaxel I am a new to using your add-on and I must say, it's superb! I have some suggestions for it though:

1. Right now, users get a DM on the Discord, by the bot, if they got a PM on the site, it'd be nice if there was a setting that would let us to enable it mentions, profile comments as well, so if an user got mentioned or got a profile comment on the site, they'd be informed on Discord as well in DMs by the bot.

2. It'd be super nice, if it was possible for the bot to post information about new threads within the site from specific sections.
- For instance, if I had a section on my forum called, Anime discussions, it'd have a sub-section called One Piece discussions, and whatever thread posted within One Piece, which "goes" as a sub-section within Anime Discussions, would be posted by the bot in a Discord channel.
- This way, you can select what sort of threads, you want to be published from the site based on section, to the Discord.

Other than that, I really appreciate your work, your add-on is great!

I would agree some specific more relevant alerts such as the mentions are worth of a poke, now all alerts no because things like likes are the most useless spam XF has.

One thing I would love is if the relay of updates on the site could be sent in the form of discord embeds, they are the cleanest form of output information, allowing to say attach the avatar of the poster quite easily and such.

@Jaxel I had been using before the discord announcer: https://github.com/adlerosn/xenforoaddon_discordWebhooksAnnounce

It just uses card embeds with custom colors per type and such, this one seems to partially do that as well, but I am confused, why can't it embed links via the [name](url)? I removed the url from the threads so it just shows the card embed, but from responses it'll not show have a titled link hm

Mostly wanted to try to get status updates under the card embed but no luck. :/

Because [name](url) is deprecated according to the Discord devs. Only webhooks can do it right now, bots and users can not... and soon webhooks wont be able to do them anymore either.

Top Bottom