Which addons would you like to see as standard in Xenforo?

I have to throw my vote in for making things so developers can better and more easily extend them - as a general wish. Of course, I know nothing about this.....but developers do! As we see with apple and droid "apps", the ability to add-on things without screwing them up can create an amazing array of products.

However, things such as full member management, searching and improvements in conversations, etc. - that's core! Even though the add-on spam management is great, that is also probably a job for core (stop countries, etc.).

I'd say these core functions should come first. Now that the yoke is off, I expect the developer community will be shifting into high gear and we will hopefully see some of the promised stuff happen (crying that Robbo never came through on his full gallery yet!).

First of all i would like to see some progress here with the promises that were made in past LOL .

Why choose core product over add-on though? Provided the add-on has been coded well, it's basically the same as a core product addition with the ability to (de)activate on demand. So, I'm not fussed on whether it's an add-on or a core product, as long as it does the job.

Actually i don't mind about core or add-on but only about future of a 3rd party add-on. My fear about 3rd party add-ons is that suddenly the developer can stop to support it for various, legitimate, reasons: switching to another forum platform, quitting business, quitting add-on developments due to low income from it, etc etc.

So could be also ok transform (acquire?) a 3rd party add-on in an officially supported and developed (by xenforo) add-on rather than an integrated into core feature. The main thing is to be sure that that add-on will not never die until xenforo will live.

I would like to see the template/style properties system cleaned up (not really a feature but sorely needed) and responsive design incorporated into the core.

I would like to see the template/style properties system cleaned up (not really a feature but sorely needed) and responsive design incorporated into the core.
A lot of the CSS should be abstracted more for sure.

Reports as posts (into a nominated moderators forum) - sorry guys, but have never really got on with the Report Centre. :coffee:

The report center is great so as long as there's a way to handle duplicates and effectively close them out instead of going one by one.

The report center is great so as long as there's a way to handle duplicates and effectively close them out instead of going one by one.
Oh yeah, I forgot I made my own changes to the report system to do that... that's probably why I love it. :)

Stuff is auto-closed out if the content reported was deleted or given a warning... makes it so most of the reports we never even see since if we run across spam, all the reports related to it are gone when we spam clean and stuff.

A true CMS is a much needed feature to make the product more complete.

Yes but there is a big difference between an important set of functions like CMS, Gallery, Albums, Blog, Articles, Wiki, Shop, Trading points, Roster, Events, Resource Manager, Custom Searches etc
- and core features that practically everyone will benefit from.

If you don't want something and it is a sizable chunk of code, to you it's bloat. So if XF included all that lot to cover all the needs of different admins it would be a bloated horror.
To someone else the same chunk is urgently needed and falls from heaven!

If a significant number of users will NOT want it, it's best kept as a good, high quality addon. Possibly produced by XF, but as a separate addon.
Things like Conversation Essentials (or at least some of it) which insert much needed missing parts of the Conversations system, are good candidates for core XF development. eg not seeing who the recipient of my PC was is obviously an oversight and should be put right.

A whole CMS may come one day or a gallery, blogs etc etc but it would be like the Resource Manager, a separate addon and I expect, paid. Meanwhile I think there are enough things need doing to the core to polish it up.

Can't search it (historical moderation reference) - can't edit replies - conversation works backwards (latest post first) instead of like forum threads - can't see when there's a new reply by admin/mod - the list goes on.

Using the report > post add-on means we get reports in forum threads - something we're intimately familiar with and it's searchable and editable and shows up in What's New? so we get notifications. (y)

Stuff is auto-closed out if the content reported was deleted or given a warning... makes it so most of the reports we never even see since if we run across spam, all the reports related to it are gone when we spam clean and stuff.
This is the exact refinements XF now need... not bloating the product so much. Sounds sweet Shawn.

Widget Framework
Responsive Design
Nodes As Tabs, with an ability to make custom tabs without nodes
Routes Changer
Configurable Article View for nodes

If you have the above you could use XF for any kind of site for any thing (articles, reviews, gallery etc.)

Top Bottom