Which addons would you require?

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

What would be a showstopper for you during purchase, if you could get a copy -right now-, in regards to add-ons? Compared to other BBS solutions or what you are using right now?

While I am browsing around the site I thought I may as well add my two cents worth.
Running a Sports website with half a million posts some of these may not be required by others however they are needed by me.

1. Definately a CMS, Article system - to provide all of the latest sport news from around the globe.
2. Blog - a blog system for my users
3. Betting System (like vBookie)

Other than that I am happy.

I'm going to purchase a copy to play with even though I probably won't use it atm for a live site right now.

For me to move off VB or IPB I would need different things for different sites. So, instead of posting what I'd need overall...I'll post what the major things I'd like to have some day instead:
  1. Better calendar with more options on what to show and not show per each type of event.
  2. Custom profiles.
  3. Gift shop like vbplaza. But, only for points and gifts. Nothing else. Or like the Facebook gifts.
  4. Nexus (IPB) type product. Manage usergroup upgrades, selling advertisements, etc. Not just a subscription manager.
  5. Blogs. User customizable...colors, admin selectable themes, sidebar block position, import external blogs, etc.
  6. Gallery. User albums, a real e-card system like ecardmax, etc.
  7. CMS. For articles, tutorials, recipes, reviews...rolled into one. Admin chooses type per category. Or the ability to auto plug into Wordpress and Joomla.
  8. Downloads system like IPB has. Working with a Nexus type product for selling downloads.
  9. Mobile skin. Auto detect.
  10. Facebook, Twitter, Myspace login and auto post your user updates to those services. OpenID login.
  11. Converge on steroids. Ability to share users from many Xenforo installs. What would be really grand is the ability to share users from IPB and VB installs as well. Creating a huge networks of sites with different features from different scripts. Add to this, the end of #7 above...Wordpress and Joomla...and wow! I'd be in heaven...but, that's a dream...I know...it's complicated.
  12. As far as the forum, itself, I really like how Xenforo feels and works atm. Not much I can think of to add atm.

To use xenforo I'd first need a good coder to redesign my core mod. It's a way of team members having a personal work page where their work projects display current status. Work tasks ares set by moderators on work instructions forums; each workteam has its own work instruictions forum. New work instructions display on the relevant members' personal work pages and trigger an email notification to that user.
So I hope there will be enthusiastic mod coders to help me out.

- Copy of forum message sends to usergroup. I have a mod for this and it's great.

Apart from those two which is absolutely necessary I think my main great desires are as follows. I just forked out a lot not long ago for a vb upgrade to 3.8 - don't even MENTION 4! so I would want some sweeteners to make another payout.

- ADMIN PAGE CUSTOMISATION! I can't believe no one has asked for this. I guess we're all so used to being fobbed off with tat. Mostly I don't want to hunt around loads of stuff I don't use. So what I want is to open one of the admin areas I use frequently off the side menu, and click a button to Add to Quicklist. A link to this frequent use page now appears at the top of every admin page. Simple textlink for space conservation with my option to change the label (but default label can b e checked if I'm looking at Help info). Then finally I can also RE_ORDER the Quicklist I create, including usiing columns, in a priority that suits ME.
-- Strict security - one private forum though I have others that are not.
- Clearer permissions - I never got the hang of secondary permissions! and though I value the permissions system crucially - it's a headbanger.
- User profiles with colour and layout customisation by the user. Ref VB3.8 which I LOVE and so do users.
- Admin create colour themes for different sections of forums. With logo.
- Notification emails can send copy of attachment on a selected forum (is that possible?). Better customisation of notify bemail;s so they look attractive to recipient.

I would likeTHREE Memberlists, one as STANDARD, with usergroups or users opted out by admin.

No 2 Memberlist ref. fees - viewable admin only for some of my usergroups who are paying customers. I'd want their complete contact info/ date of joining as columns auto display.
I'd then be happy to manually edit fields for the following -- 1) package they bought 2) date of last payment 3) next payment due date 4) amount due now if payment date in the past.
I'd like a search to tell me any that show up as overdue payers.
Option to link them to another user if relevant (some pay for other users).
Users on this 2nd list can view the financial info entered (their account with me) via their general account.

No 3 Memberlist ref. support work a privately viewable manually selected memberlist for admin + mods.We can enter users' names who are currently causing us concern (the difficult ones) or who we know need support. New members automatically appear for their first month. Members are tagged as NEW, and get a starter profile text description from admin. to intro them to mods staff. Other tags SUPPORT or PROBLEMATIC + some other keyword tickboxes as set by admin. Mods can add v brief text notes via a textarea linked to each member listing, which then displays with the existing profile description. List sortable by any tag or keyword as well as A-Z or usergroup.

Dunno if any of this helps the team. I tend to be pretty exact in what I want - I do hope there wilolo be mods and modders who can help.

We are using ip.content for static pages and our front page (soon articles and news too). Also iArcade to play flash games, gallery and blog. We are thinking of converting blog pages to ip.content though.

So would be good if xenForo had a cms, news/articles system, a flash arcade and ability to create static pages with optional commenting. Also a must is cross posting between article replies and forum replies which ip.content 2 has.

Also would be nice to be able to comment on calendar events with cross posting with forum thread.

And global search, searching articles, forums, static content and events.

I quite like how it looks and feels: http://www.pleasedsheep.com/ :). This is all possible with Invision? Nice. I dearly hope XenForo can give us a CMS/Blog/Gallery soon...

It is indeed, using IP.Content. The problem with IP.Content is that I have to hire someone to do all the coding, which I know I would have to with a cms anyway, but simple pages I could do myself. It bothers me that whenever I need even the simplest of changes, I need to call on the coder/skinner.

• An advanced tag-like system for Secondary categorization of the user created content. It might sound strange at first, but that's one of the most important part for many communities just most of them don't know that because the actual implementation never done really well.
  • API for connecting other scripts (CMS etc.) and members (network multiple sites).
Yes, could you please point us to sites where implementation you describe IS done very well... the best in your opinion, even?
I would appreciate your point of view. Thanks!
HJ

I wouldn't box it in as paid subscriptions. They should build a generic system where you can sell arbitrary "virtual" items and after the users has paid, carry out an arbitrary action such as adding a usergroup, giving them access to a forum, sending an email/download link, setting them up as a "member" to a member's area, etc.

Also there should be a streamlined process so that non-members can click to buy a subscription/item and be automatically registered during that process. They would just have to provide all the same registration info during purchase, but the point would be to streamline the process and not make it seem like you require registration (as a separate process) first.

That would be awesome! I'd vote for that!

1. Integration with Photopost
  2. Integration with Reviewpost
  3. Forum-specific ad locations
  4. 'Easy forms' mod
  5. Infraction system
  6. Custom profile/registration fields
Those are the most important I think, other things we probably can live without or at least for a while.

As it happens, I wrote the original vBookie mod (you may know me as tjdrico on vbulletin.org). If I get a copy of XenForo, vBookie is one mod I'd think about re-implementing.

Nice to know people still use it after 6 years. :D
Oh wow! Good to see you are still around! You definitely need to re-implement it! My members love it especially since it worked with our credit system.

Ok, I know it's not an Add on, but for me to move my live site when Gold comes out, I will need a seamless converter to go from IPB 3.1.2 to xF :)

Other than that, an article system or CMS would certainly come in handy during the conversion..

Jamie

Top Bottom