Which addons do you find essential?

creativeforge

We are very excited with converting to Xenforo from PhpBB3.0.12. Now as we'll be purchasing our license, I see a few Xenforo addons:

- Media gallery
- Ressource manager
- Enhanced search

Which made me think - I would like to hear from users what addons they consider essential for their forum, especially big ones (10,000+ members). I know I am definitely considering Xenporta 2 to create a customized landing page.

As far as other addons, feel free to chime in as well, whether used for aesthetic, maintenance or function.

Thank you in advance,

Regards,

Andre

This is my list of favorite addons:

Auto-highlight permalink
Auto Link Titles
Best Posts
Bookmarks
Extra Trophies Awarded
Mini Avatar with Tags
New User Conversation
Notifications
Modern Statistics
Prefix Forum Listing
Quick Reply Preview
s9e Media Pack
Similar Threads
Sticky Navigation
TaigaChat Pro
Toggle ME
User Banners on Member Cards for XenForo
Who Has Visited 24 Hours
XenForo Media Gallery
ProfilePost With BBcode

Thanks all...

I've been building WP sites for many years, I didn't know you could use WP with Xenforo, that's a first I hear about it. I should check this out. Do you have a website example, D.O.A.?

Thanks Ridemonkey, I bookmarked them to read later on.

What about the addons Xenforo offers on their license page?

- Media gallery
- Ressource manager
- Enhanced search

Anyone using them can give feedback?

Cheers!
All depend on your site. Enhanced search is useless unless your forum is big enough to support it (at least 200,000 posts for it to even remotely be necessary). Resource manager if your niche needs it. Media gallery the same. I have enhanced search and media gallery.

Do you mean standard MySQL search?
You realise that is nothing to do with XenForo?
It's 2015 and I still haven't seen a forum software with a good search system.

A drop in the bucket compared to the improvements in helping your members find what the need.
Maybe. I can't exactly comment since it might be a limitation of MySQL, but it should really be something in the core. (more relevant results that is). For smaller boards, there aren't really enough posts that'll pop up for non-generic search queries, so relevant results shouldn't be that big of a problem.

Forum software and database searching are two entirely different things.
Which is generally why they tend to use MySQL search or a third party solution.

You could always try creating your own if you're that disappointed by the current offerings.

What do you find to be limiting with the XF enhanced search?

I think the biggest improvement to searching my forum came with the stemming analyzer in Elasticsearch. Not having to know what specific plural or suffix is attached to a word - or, worse, with vBulletin it didn't find "cool!" if you searched for "cool" since it counted punctuation as part of the word - was a huge help.

Alternately, of course, you can use Google to search your forum using a custom Google search. You lose the ability to specify board-specific parameters like date ranges or poster name.

You could always try creating your own if you're that disappointed by the current offerings.
I'm really not the only one who finds them terrible, it's not just XenForo, XenForo's is relatively good compared to other software. ES makes it better of course, but the default search system is really bad.

I'm not the only one who says this, I mean take a look at this:
https://theadminzone.com/threads/rant-forum-search-all-forum-software.130631/

And Chris basically said the default one is terrible because MySQL doesn't provide many options (at least what I interpreted):
https://theadminzone.com/threads/search-is-awful.116713/#post-832999

What do you find to be limiting with the XF enhanced search?
Talking about the default search system, not with XFES.

Top Bottom