Which addons would you require?

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

What would be a showstopper for you during purchase, if you could get a copy -right now-, in regards to add-ons? Compared to other BBS solutions or what you are using right now?

I would like to see
  • Some type of CMS like vBadvance (simply but effective - NOT LIKE VB4 with text wrapping images)
  • Gallery - mainly to use for front end CMS - I need a easy way to upload a picture or several for a front page "news article" and then manage them.
  • File management. (download section)

Wouldn't it be cool if once we set up the Facebook integration in our user CP, there is a FB chatbox on the forum that connect to all our FB friends as if we are on fb.com?
That would keep the members stay longer on our site.

In that case, imagine a shoutbox
Your message:_______________
in your forum. And everytime someone "shouts", the message appears. Like in IPB on the right side.

For me - I see its use when I restrict the shouts - to my friends - to other people I talk in the forum regularly.

Don't need a shoutbox, just pull from the profile field status updates, show some of these in the sidebar.

This. Quit reinventing the wheel.

All this stuff is written in PHP and MySQL. Just make it work!

Amen to that. Also: I absolutely need a solid API for username/password so I can authenticate WordPress users against the (more solid) xenforo user system. In other words: I'd love to use xenforo as a Single Sign-On solution.

Further:
  • A really good mobile style out of the box (bonus if it's optimized for iPhone). One that can be easily integrated in an exisiting iPhone app as a WebView.
  • Post Templates
  • Topic prefixes
  • Banner management (bonus for easy OpenX integration)
  • User option for excluding forums/categories

Here is the list I need if I wanted to do migrate my forum. (These are based on what I use on vBulletin)
  • Topic Prefixes
  • Mobile Style
  • AME - The Automatic Media Embeder
  • Facebook Integration
  • Twitter Integration
  • OpenID integration
  • Cyb - Advanced Permissions Based on Post Count
  • Display Unread Posts and Reputation Comments
  • Social Groups
  • Download Thread
  • Inactive User Reminder Emails
  • iTrader
  • Multiple Account Detection & Prevention
  • Clickable prefixes
  • Image resizer
  • vBCredits
  • vBAdvertise
  • vBCommerce
  • vBTracker
  • vBookie
  • Wordpress Bridge
  • Forum network script
  • Blogs
I know I use a lot, but its the fact that there is a lot to go, modification wise before my main forum is moved over. I expect in due time though.

I'm totally on board with Mobile and Blogs (or at least a solution for those that have them currently) but as for a CMS, I'd be a lot more happy with the ability to easily bridge with one of several mature CMSs like Wordpress, Joomla! or Drupal.

The attempt to do BOTH a world class Forum system *and* a world class CMS is... Well... somewhat of a less than efficient use of effort.

I'm a big believer in using best of breed tools, and I'd MUCH rather that the effort of the team responsible for the development of of the forum (which is the heart and soul of our community site) be focused on the development of the forum, and those subsystems that are logically a part of the forum/community. One-size-fits-all generally results in a mediocre solution as has been shown time and again by any number of projects.

PICK your core business and be the BEST DAMN THING IN THE WORLD at what you do. That is the way you succeed, not by trying to be everything to everyone. That way lies the path to mediocrity.

For me it's:
- a shout/chat box
Like a simple little chatbot for the shoutbox. One that just reacts to set phrases like "Hi" or "How are you?". Like the one that comes with MGC Chatbox. My members absolutely love that.

Well seing how nice this platform is gonna be, you can count on me to port my MGC Chatbox to XF :)

I think a blog would be a nice addition but perhaps also a Cart. This is a lack in most of the forum platform. Of course a forum is not made for that purpose but when you create a website to sell stuff you often need a forum to handle the support and when everything can be integrated it's clearly a nice addition.

I'll also tend to say that a gallery is something I would really need too.

I could not read through all the pages of this thread, but I would like to have an easy way in Admin Panel to send mass emails to users through Mailchimp API, Aweber, Infusionsoft, Constant Contact or other commercial mass mailers.

I've had too much trouble over the years when I sent mass emails and so many of them didn't do through or were flagged as spam.

I understand this is probably isn't a priority, but I am sure many users would appreciate an easy integration with mailing services..

The community I have in mind doesn't really need any huge modifications. The main thing for me is customisation. I want to make it look the way I want and hopefully the template system will allow that. Also, little things like adding custom BBCodes - in my case, a spoiler - will also be required as people may want to say something that may spoil story lines for others.

I would like two main things:

a) sphinx search
b) plugable login API (seriously - I don't wanna another CMS, just let me use Wordpress)

With a bridge to Wordpress we could use it as a CMS and a Blog system. And Wordpress 3 kicks serious a**es.

A login API and ideally, a single sign-on solution, like what IP.Converge does for multiple IPB forums and some 3rd party apps.

An API for getting content from the forum would be nice as well, so that things like iPhone or Android app would be easy to implement.

xenForo works really well on the iPhone already, but an OPTIONAL phone theme would be great, and I think we're much more likely to see it here (and for free) than the competition. Even though my busiest Wordpress website works great on the iPhone, I really have fallen in love with the WPTouch theme I added to it just last week. It makes my site feel like an iPhone app and is just easier to deal with on the iPhone.

And PLEASE allow users to bypass the iPhone theme, and for that setting to "stick". There's nothing worse than a vBulletin forum on an iPhone using a klunky extremely limited theme that we can't disable. It's worse than no mobile theme because then we are completely locked out of functionality like editing posts.

Top Bottom