Which addons would you require?

• Thread starter Thread starter Floris
  • Start date Start date
F

Floris

What would be a showstopper for you during purchase, if you could get a copy -right now-, in regards to add-ons? Compared to other BBS solutions or what you are using right now?

Sorry, I've never used IPB so have no idea what system they have.

All I'm familiar with is the "chat" system on my forum.
It's used by all members when a race is on so it's just like a group MSN.

Lots of good suggestions.
My 3.8 site needs paid subscriptions and stopforumspam. Also need a tutorial section.
My 4.0 site needs integration with Photopost classifieds. Also needs a CMS that can pull from the forum or at least a decent calender.
A must have mod is a RSVP to event system.

In fact, both of my sites need photopost integration which isn't XenForo's problem.

Lots of good suggestions.

In fact, both of my sites need photopost integration which isn't XenForo's problem.

Orrr... A way to migrate to a gallery system that's not as much of a PITA (esp the incredible pain of restyling every time they "upgrade" :: wince :: ) and as unintegrated with the core forum functionality as Photopost. Assuming you're talking about the gallery and not just the classifieds. :)

Sorry to project my past experiences if you've been loving Photopost, everyone has different priorities and what's a PITA for one might be perfect for someone else with different usage needs.

Excellent feedback from everybody. Keep it coming!

ok.

If there is a tagging system:
The ability to automatically tag a thread based on a certain admin defined list of tags (only). That would be huge for us, and I believe there is a vb mod but we never installed it because we knew our 3.8 days were numbered.

There should be a comprehensive 'flag as spam' feature- add on or built in, preferably built in... I detailed this at vb.org once but it's beyond my abilities.
Basically in each post there should be a small 'flag as spam' icon... each time a user clicks this it gets counted, once per user per post...
Then in the back end are settings... the number of flags per post before the post is hidden (sent to the mod queue maybe, or just soft deleted or something) So say after 2 or 3 flags by unique users it's hidden... Also you can designate 'trusted' users, if any 1 of these people flag a post it's immediately hidden... and 'ignored' users whose flags don't count in case we have problems with people flagging messages they shouldn't... in the end it means virtually any spam can be hidden (effectively deleted) by 1 trusted member or several regular members- and in effect kill spam altogether.

In order for me to seriously consider switching I'd have to have the following:

1) CMS system or something to bridge WordPress/Joomla/etc.
2) Forum opt-out system that prevents specified forums from being displayed in New Topic/Reply searches.
3) Anti-spam system
4) A comprehensive modification hook system. After modifying core files for almost 10 years, it's getting VERY old. :D
5) Topic Prefixes, to include the ability to search by topic prefix.
6) Sphinx search engine.
7) Post reporting system that allows not only the tracking of the report, but also the ability to assign other usergroups OTHER than default staff usergroups to read/interact with those reports.
8) Ability to mouse over on a topic and determine the OP content.

I am really going to need a classfieds addon.
I'll probably move away from PP Classifieds if they don't have an integration in a reasonable amount of time.
As mentioned before, iTrader and it would be nice if iTrader was shared across other xF forums.

At this point in my relationship with vb I'm not that picky...BUT I find the addons I like most are the little things - auto pming thread authors when a mod moves/edits/deletes etc, and being able to leave "karma" messages that display on posts. Those are the two things I'd miss from my vb lol. But I guess the only dealbreaker would be the ability as others have said to import my current members and threads/forums from vb to XF.

So much to absorb. Some great ideas going through here, everything coming fast. Like a brainstorming session. I like where comments build on previous comments.

I'm with Tigratrus 100%, I can't believe when admins want to limit images. Giving credit to previous posts, I think it would be great if "insert media" gave you the choice of my computer, URL or my gallery. And if it came from either of the first two it would then insert them in your gallery for future reference. If you tried to upload an image with the same name it would at least alert you that an image of the same name was in your gallery. Forcing people to put them in their gallery first won't work with my users. I also encourage my users to display inline rather than attach.

They would also see their gallery album grow with no specific effort.

Lots of posts here, so apologies if these have already been covered:
  • Site wide CSS / styling
  • Gallery
  • forum templates - ability to use different layouts per forum, extra thread fields, etc
  • thread templates - ability to use different layouts per thread
  • multi point rating system - could be a plugin I suppose
  • ad/ banner management
  • RSS reader
  • oh, did I mention the need for a integrated Gallery ?

An add-on that could do Content Management, like articles, reviews, etc, with a non-forum-like layout. This is the most important part to take a new forum software to the next level I think, since most forums now do have a need for managing their content.

:)

For me it's:

- a CMS (can be something modest, not necessarily on the level of WordPress or Joomla) or a good bridge to WordPress
- blogs or a good bridge to WordPress
- ignoring threads, forums, users
- a shout/chat box

There are some other things I would like, but which wouldn't be deal breakers for me.
Like a simple little chatbot for the shoutbox. One that just reacts to set phrases like "Hi" or "How are you?". Like the one that comes with MGC Chatbox. My members absolutely love that.
Then there's things like the games arcade, but I'm sure that will be made anyway once there's enough people using xF.

So yeah, that's about it for me.

Strong Anti Spam is a biggie for me.
A decent photo gallery is a must.
A simple way to sell products. Many forums have decals, shirts, etc. A simple way to sell them would be great.
A good homepage and a good article system.
Flexibility in design for skin makers so every forum doesnt look like every other.

CMS, Blogs, and the ability to do stuff like upload photos from a mobile device to compete with fb.

Agreed on every point. Without CMS and Blogs I can not switch and we definitely need a mobile app in this day of age. Hopefully in 2011/2012 xenForo will have all this and then one can predict a lot of former vBulletin customers will be seriously interested to make the switch.

Top Bottom