Which addons would you like to see as standard in Xenforo?

please please please

a way for user to edit What's New - Hide selected threads and star or tag my Favourites.
I don't need these on my own boards as they are tiny. But HERE and on bigger boards this painfully needed. It's the only thing apart from the inadequate Conversations I find spoils my experience here on XF.

Apart from that Conversation Essentials.
Login As User.

I think Nodes as Tabs does very well as an addon and so do many others which while fantastic addons for me and for many, are not necessary to all admins (as in 80-90% of us).
This goes for blogs, galleries, articles, wikis, albums, CMS, etc

Gallery
Blogs
CMS

no, no and no. Keep the bloat out.. Learn from vB's mistakes. These should be add-ons only.. not part of the core or it's features.

1. Widget Framework. With a sidebar, this kind of thing seems to need to be there so that everyone can take full advantage of the flexibility that such a thing can have but currently doesn't.
  2. User Essentials. Right now, users can make threads and respond, but very little else. This adds a lot of functionality that would make for a richer user experience.
  3. Conversation Essentials. By the same author as User Essentials, this addon makes something that is usable but limited into something very robust and workable for everyone.

(y)

Conversation and User Essentials would be good.

Why choose core product over add-on though? Provided the add-on has been coded well, it's basically the same as a core product addition with the ability to (de)activate on demand. So, I'm not fussed on whether it's an add-on or a core product, as long as it does the job.

I believe Xenforo is very close to perfect, at the core level. Over this past year without development, it has allowed a few minor shortfalls to be shown. Some additional permissions to refine further control over areas, and I believe XF should come as a responsive default design.

I just don't believe XF should bloat the product by adding add-ons into the core. I want to see products from XF, that download manager for starters, blog, CMS and gallery, but all as products that a person can choose to buy, or not, yet fully control via permissions.

Add-on developers have a role to play, and their own market in covering additional features... I would hate to see XF become like VB, where they just kept incorporating more add-ons as core features, thus we all know what VB is now like to use. You need a dedicated server to run an empty new install, pretty much. Just not feasible.

I honestly believe the existing infrastructure just needs some further fine tuning for ease of use with moving things around and permissions... then get stuck into XF official products.

Pages is a huge feature of XF, yet completely useless at the same time, because you can't create and manage them from the frontend like a CMS.

One area which is already XF, yet covered by an add-on, is bbcode. I would like to see more admin control by default of creating bbcode in the ACP without complicated add-ons. A better editor that plays across all of today's devices would also be nice, desktop, tablet and mobile. I ditched the XF one for Cedric's, as it works across all devices... though I'm sure there is better that XF could do.

I honestly believe the existing infrastructure just needs some further fine tuning for ease of use with moving things around and permissions... then get stuck into XF official products.
and performance improvements such as ones suggested by digitalpoint.

Improved caching rate would be good for 1.2, reduce the time it takes for those cache rebuilds to take.

Tagging, CMS, media gallery, expanded social sharing options, log in with more social services like twitter, AUTOMATIC UPDATES!!! (like in wordpress), avatars as thread thumbnails or something similar, mobile ability to upload images/mobile theme.

Totally agree with Mike Edge and Anthony.
But that amkes it all the more important to select with great care what gets added.

I forgot - an easier way to manage permissions.
They are excellently powerful but just because they are so powerful and precise we need a more powerful manager.
I have suggested elsewhere a Grid View analysis.
This would place the key usergroups along the top and the key permissions down the side. Admin slects which usergroups, and perhaps which permissions.
A tick or a number displays in the cells of the grid.

Mockup:

perms.webp

I have also suggested a Permissions Block Locator.
Put a usergroup or user in field 1.
Select a node in field 2.
The result displays the relationship as a list of Prmissions - like one column of the above image.
But in the second col. if the Permission is blocked it shows where - usergroup, user, node.

When admin searches on users I want Has posts < number
Same for the email form.
To chase and develop slow or timid users.

Top Bottom