Utah Fishkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CarpCharacin I'll ask you a very simple question about your site. How many of your top posters(say top 5) are from Utah excluding you?

Still want to restrict your site to bring Utah based? The site name itself is very deterring to getting new members.
0 top posters excluding me. My site was featured on TV, I can't change the name now.
Don't just remove the permission from 1 moderator, remove it from everyone, including yourself (to take away the temptation to use it). You really don't need hard delete at this stage. Soft delete is fine and it can always be undone.
But how would I be able to delete spam posts?

But how would I be able to delete spam posts?
Spam posts are from spammers. You would use the spam cleaner on them, which can be set to permanently delete.

upload_2016-11-22_12-7-48.webp

Also a small site like yours shouldn't really get many spam posts. I hardly get any. You should look at the Spam Management options in the ACP and set up everything there (Akismet, Honeypot etc).

0 top posters excluding me. My site was featured on TV, I can't change the name now.
You can setup a redirect to the new domain. And how is that featuring on TV going for you in getting members to your site? Lets face it, the tv 'featuring' happened 2 years ago...and has lost any worth it had due to not being able to react to it well - i.e. prior to getting mentioned on tv having an already setup forum with somewhat decent content. No point entering a 100m sprint when you are still learning how to crawl. Patience. You were not ready then, and if you got featured on TV tomorrow, you would not be ready now either.

@tajhay I know you aren't going to like this, but I like the name of my site.

@Martok I set up the permissions, but I think that I should still be able to hard delete posts myself because occasionally members sometimes post span such as bumping a thread over and over.

@Martok I set up the permissions, but I think that I should still be able to hard delete posts myself because occasionally members sometimes post span such as bumping a thread over and over.
No. That's the point. You don't hard delete these sort of posts. Soft delete them. They are a record of the behaviour of these members. I wouldn't hard delete these sort of posts, I soft delete them, just as I soft delete double posts.

There is absolutely no need for you to hard delete these sort of posts, they don't take up any significant space in your database and it's just a touch of OCDness that 'needs' you to hard delete them.

No. That's the point. You don't hard delete these sort of posts. Soft delete them. They are a record of the behaviour of these members. I wouldn't hard delete these sort of posts, I soft delete them, just as I soft delete double posts.

There is absolutely no need for you to hard delete these sort of posts, they don't take up any significant space in your database and it's just a touch of OCDness that 'needs' you to hard delete them.

I have told him the same thing, but he knows more than people that have been doing this for many years. :confused:

I removed it, but it still has the hard delete option.
Use the permissions analyser on yourself to ensure that you have removed it from all user groups you are in (and also ensure you have removed it if you assigned the permission in ACP > Moderators).

@CarpCharacin I'll ask you a very simple question about your site. How many of your top posters(say top 5) are from Utah excluding you?

Still want to restrict your site to bring Utah based? The site name itself is very deterring to getting new members.

Utah has no big population, true, but if it's a hobby that is common there, it should be enough. If there are fish shops that should be proof of that. I mean he has basicly no costs, but they need to make a living, so there should be enough potential people for his forum.

You need to check all permissions - moderator (ACP), all group permissions, node permissions.
All done, I have no permission to hard delete and still can do it.
Checking again: "Final Value (Global) No"

Testing Node Permissions:

In one sub forum I gave the permission to hard delete for myself:

permanently_remove2.webp

Just revoke hard-delete to never.... problem solved.

Also, the domain name is fine. It ranks pretty well on general searches I tried. You just need a hook to get people to click.

I am logged in as super admin and i dont get that.

You need to set NEVER to one of the usergroups that you belong to...NO wont work.

Are you logged in as a super admin? I suspect it might be that.
That should have nothing to do with it. Super admins have administration abilities, not forum permissions. I have another Super administrator login that has no moderator permissions whatsoever.

@whynot @CarpCharacin I suggest you post in the Troubleshooting forum to get the issue resolved so this thread isn't derailed any further.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom