Utah Fishkeepers

How should I get people who are in utah to join, since it is a local fish forum?
Make up some business cards or a posters, stop by some of the local aquarium shops and ask if can put the posters up or leave some cards.
Find out if there is a local group that are into aquariums and that have gatherings and ask if you could speak to them at one of their meetings.
Target your audience.

I posted a link on the facebook page of the gslas.
It should help a little bit. Try another pages about fishkeeping as well, maybe from another countries. May not be your target audience, but they are still possible members and probably willing to collaborate with good content.

It should help a little bit. Try another pages about fishkeeping as well, maybe from another countries. May not be your target audience, but they are still possible members and probably willing to collaborate with good content.
I created Utah Fishkeepers to be a local fish forum because there weren't any local freshwater fishkeeping forums.

Aaah that logo...

There is no point trying to promote that forum if there is no content on there. They are only 6 people on that site (including you) that has posted more than 1 post. If there is no content, there is no discussion. If there is no discussion, there is no forum.

You can promote the forum all you like, but people arent going to register upto an empty forum. As the wise @digitalpoint once said, make sure your forum fills a gap, or resolves a pain point. Do people go to your site to read more about it? Learn how to take care of it? Or to just discuss it? A knowledge base of articles should be created based on what you are trying to cater for.

A link from GLSAS or whatever its called is pointless if people are simply going to click on that link to your site and look at the lack of information and hit the back button back. You make it sound like you have hit a home run with the link when you are yet to step onto the base.

It is a fishkeeping discussion site, not a fishkeeping article site. It would be very hard for me to compete with the large fishkeeping knowledge bases out there. My site is the only utah based aquarium discussion site. People go to my site to discuss it keeping and taking care of fish. There is only one other utah based fish forum, and it is a saltwater forum. What is wrong with the logo?

IMHO good articles and interesting posts/discussions are the best content to get visits and new registrations for free.

I have been trying to recruit a few users that actively post, but I haven't been that successful. Other than putting flyers at the LFS, what should I do?

I am not the best at designing logos.
Just wanted to touch base on a follow-up as I'm "not the best" either, but I came up with this in just a few minutes for a new forum I started.

logo.webp

I've got to work on the text more, but I've reverted to Gimp and having to relearn it.
The thing is, try different ideas - just don't delete your old images. That way you may stumble upon one that looks nice when in place that doesn't really look "outstanding" by itself.

Screen Shot 2016-10-02 at 6.22.06 AM.webp

Also, should I use the AMS or Showcase for fish species profiles?
It depends. If most of the content for a given fish profile is TEXTUAL in nature (like a WIKI), and you are set on using either AMS or SC, then use AMS. If most of the content is VISUAL, then use Showcase. You need to figure out what your functionality needs are tho and then understand the limitations of each addon. Example: Do you need multi page Fish Profiles? If so, then AMS is your only option, as Showcase doesn't have multi page item functionality. Do you need an additional Content TAB with MULTIPLE custom fields on that tab? If so, then SHOWCASE is your only option, cause AMS doesn't have that particular ability. Take some time (not 5 minutes, but several days) and figure out your NEEDS. Do things like create a test category on AMS and one on Showcase, set the options for each category, create the fields you need and see which one works best for you. What works best for @tajhay is not necessarily what's best for you. Actually create a REAL species profiles on BOTH addons, then give people LINKS so they can see both and then ask them for their opinions.

Top Bottom