Ballpark budget for creating a small forum from scratch?

Jgirl004

Hi! I'm a long-term forum user/moderator (not with Xenforo), and I know zero about tech. I'm putting together a funding application to start a tiny & private academic experimental Xenforo discussion forum. If it succeeds I’d love to hire a developer from here, but unfortunately it’s only about a $500 developer’s fee this time round; so my 3 questions right now if anyone has time are:
  1. How much of the work below would a good & reliable developer be willing to do for just $500?
  2. How much do you think getting all the below work done might cost in total?
  3. I’ve no hardware, tech ability, or time! Does that make it impossible for me to self-host - if a developer sets it up? If not - could you say a ballpark cost for everything I’ll need to self-host (beyond a license, domain, host & developer fee)?
ABOUT THE FORUM -
  • Currently it’s an unused starter forum on Xenforo cloud
  • Members will be in UK & US, host is in CA, US.
  • Size is TINY especially this first year - only about 15 members, mostly in discussion with some photos & documents; there'll never be videos, games, ads or flashy extras. (Funding will come from grants rather than members or advertising, and the membership databases & purpose already exist.) After a year, membership may eventually grow to max 300.
DEVELOPER TASKS:
  1. Priority: create or modify an add-on that allows members to create new topics/ threads that they easily make available to only some select members (this patch might help, I don’t know - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/private-threads.5856/) These threads must be 100% reliably hidden from other members at all times, or else the universe the way we know it will explode.
  2. Then go through with me & set the admin items that different members will and won't have access to (there's seemingly millions of options that I don't have the time to understand GAH), including telling me how to regulate different levels of member access to different parts of the website,
  3. Tailor members' ability to create personal profiles, groups & group tags,
  4. Create a simple & attractive landing page & admission process,
  5. Insert a live chat page, and finally
  6. Talk and/or write me through how to manage the whole dang thing as an admin/moderator.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions :) Welcome to DM me if you prefer. (Night here now, but I’ll come back & answer if there are any queries in the a.m.)

Last edited:
Priority: create or modify an add-on that allows members to create new topics/ threads that they easily make available to only some select members

No addon required.

I’m sure most people would say all of your above post is easy without a developer or addons. You’d need an addon for the chat that is all.

(Groups - I’m not sure exactly what you mean though)

But if it’s basically a consultation/lesson in how to set up and manage then I would have thought $500 is more than enough.

First I would try it yourself based on the manual and tips resources, then ask questions

Last edited:
The writing sites I am on have them. Basically member-created miniforums for more focussed discussion. So similar to groups in certain social media. There is an add-on for this but don't have it at my fingertips.

No addon required.

I’m sure most people would say all of your above post is easy without a developer or addons. You’d need an addon for the chat that is all.

But if it’s basically a consultation/lesson in how to set up and manage then I would have thought $500 is more than enough.

First I would try it yourself based on the manual and tips resources, then ask questions
Great to know, thanks!

You'll be contacted by unsolicited private messages, I recommend avoiding these who contact you in that way. And really, keep your money in your pocket - most everything you're calling for is easily accomplished.

The writing sites I am on have them. Basically member-created miniforums for more focussed discussion. So similar to groups in certain social media. There is an add-on for this but don't have it at my fingertips.
Awesome. I'm a writer and would be very interested to take a look at some of those writing sites @Mendalla - do you think that might be possible /ok? I understand if not of course. (feel free to DM.)

You'll be contacted by unsolicited private messages, I recommend avoiding these who contact you in that way. And really, keep your money in your pocket - most everything you're calling for is easily accomplished.
Indeed! I am and will, thanks :) While I'm not a techie I have a lot of experience with developers, so I'll be ok.

Technically I see now that it's very easy to do (for a developer); but because of the nature of the site there'll be a lot of linguistic, visual & admin details that need to be micro-adjusted, discussed & explained. So what I'll really be paying for is the time of an experienced and reliable developer who's patient (with me), detail-oriented, & English-speaking (because of the linguistic & communication bit). I've noticed who's recommended in this forum, so if the funding comes through I think I'll ask them if they're interested & what their hourly rates would be.

I know zero about tech.
Sounds like the smallest XF Cloud plan would be perfect for you, then. It's affordable, rock solid, fast, secure and comes with the full software suite - I'm on it right now after moving off self hosted some time ago and am very happy with it. Literally, you sign up for it, then log in after a few minutes and it's all there ready to go, no server knowledge required.

Now, I can't help you with what developer costs, or hiring an admin to design and manage the forum for you might be, but the base of your system is definitely XF Cloud.

I see you asked this question back in January, so I'm just wondering, did you manage to get your forum project off the ground and how?

Top Bottom