Hi! I'm a long-term forum user/moderator (not with Xenforo), and I know zero about tech. I'm putting together a funding application to start a tiny & private academic experimental Xenforo discussion forum. If it succeeds I’d love to hire a developer from here, but unfortunately it’s only about a $500 developer’s fee this time round; so my 3 questions right now if anyone has time are:
- How much of the work below would a good & reliable developer be willing to do for just $500?
- How much do you think getting all the below work done might cost in total?
- I’ve no hardware, tech ability, or time! Does that make it impossible for me to self-host - if a developer sets it up? If not - could you say a ballpark cost for everything I’ll need to self-host (beyond a license, domain, host & developer fee)?
- Currently it’s an unused starter forum on Xenforo cloud
- Members will be in UK & US, host is in CA, US.
- Size is TINY especially this first year - only about 15 members, mostly in discussion with some photos & documents; there'll never be videos, games, ads or flashy extras. (Funding will come from grants rather than members or advertising, and the membership databases & purpose already exist.) After a year, membership may eventually grow to max 300.
- Priority: create or modify an add-on that allows members to create new topics/ threads that they easily make available to only some select members (this patch might help, I don’t know - https://xenforo.com/community/resources/private-threads.5856/) These threads must be 100% reliably hidden from other members at all times, or else the universe the way we know it will explode.
- Then go through with me & set the admin items that different members will and won't have access to (there's seemingly millions of options that I don't have the time to understand GAH), including telling me how to regulate different levels of member access to different parts of the website,
- Tailor members' ability to create personal profiles, groups & group tags,
- Create a simple & attractive landing page & admission process,
- Insert a live chat page, and finally
- Talk and/or write me through how to manage the whole dang thing as an admin/moderator.