Strange things at VB.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is the buggy editor working out for those that still visit that site regularly? I tried to use it but the auto-save broken everything.
Couldn't tell ya' -- There is a bug hitting some where when browsing threads you are taken to the bottom of the screen where the quick reply editor is instead of at the top of the screen (or the last read posted depending upon how you brought up the thread). The devs & QA know about the bug but posted that they wouldn't fix the bug on vB.com on a Friday. :confused: It is so annoying trying to read threads right now for me that I'm skipping the site until Monday or Tuesday to see if it is fixed.

I wouldn't touch vB4 with a 10-foot pole. vB3 is the last good vB version as far as I'm concerned and even that has proven to have it's flaws as well. :-) I'll stick with IPB3. 3.2 looks amazing :D

I am really surprised there. I can understand a community admin/mod having the authority to ban someone but changing your username to Removed-836727 doesn't make any sense. Did you ask them to get rid of your username there or did they do that by themselves? If it's the latter, that is really unjust.
No, i didn't ask to rename me, but who cares...
It's there policy, so i had to accept this.

Now back to the other other topic
badteeth.gif

smilies
I also think that this differs from board to board (because of the target audience)
I'm having bad experience with some of my "serious boards" (for example a stock trader board where the target audience were 30-60 year old business guys (and we have 4 ladies:D )

Couldn't tell ya' -- There is a bug hitting some where when browsing threads you are taken to the bottom of the screen where the quick reply editor is instead of at the top of the screen (or the last read posted depending upon how you brought up the thread). The devs & QA know about the bug but posted that they wouldn't fix the bug on vB.com on a Friday. :confused: It is so annoying trying to read threads right now for me that I'm skipping the site until Monday or Tuesday to see if it is fixed.

Odd, I see plenty of similar comments but I have had zero issues reading any thread/post and have tested the editor without a problem, the advanced settings even work fine in Opera.

I wouldn't touch vB4 with a 10-foot pole. vB3 is the last good vB version as far as I'm concerned and even that has proven to have it's flaws as well. :) I'll stick with IPB3. 3.2 looks amazing :D

Despite all the short comings and flaws within vBulletin 3, they were not detrimental to growth OR operations. vBulletin 4's flaws have completely been show stoppers, and completely disruptive for day to day operations.

Just read through some of the thread over there.

They released a known buggy version to gather "real world customer feedback".

Oh dear

I don't understand why the editor is automatically active. Isn't this causing the problems? I used my arrow keys on my laptop to scroll and it goes straight down to the editor.

Despite all the short comings and flaws within vBulletin 3, they were not detrimental to growth OR operations. vBulletin 4's flaws have completely been show stoppers, and completely disruptive for day to day operations.
I just discovered some new ones that led me to speak my mind there. It's one thing to have bugs in areas that are new to VB (e.g. the CMS) and it's another to screw up the good work that has been done for the past 5+ years. When you perform an advanced search, the forum categories do not format. As a result, you'll get 70-80 or however many forums you have all lined up as text and virtually impossible to differentiate. Advanced search by forums is effectively eliminated since nobody wants to use it.

The editor is a significant work in progress. It saves the last thing you typed and goes with you everywhere. Paste in something and it appears twice. I've had other bugs and I just don't know how nobody saw these things before release. Apparently 4.1.4 has already been recalled, has several releases (a beta too) and I just don't bother with it any more. Unless there has been a compelling reason to upgrade, I have decided to stay put. In addition, I've also decided against further additions since, if I make another major move such as generating subject-based URLs, I may decide to move the entire forum platform, experience trophies be damned. So it goes for the greater good.

Ot; their new editor (+slow load times) makes me want to stop coming to vB.com altogether. I've actually never experienced something this repulsing.

Ot; their new editor (+slow load times) makes me want to stop coming to vB.com altogether. I've actually never experienced something this repulsing.
Wanna know what's worse? Everyone there is so blind with regards to the editor. Some users are defending it as if it's in working order, as if they don't recognize that there are a lot of bugs in it.

In fact, when I made the arguement that this isn't even beta, it's more like alpha, everyone stepped in front of vBulletin like a shield. Usually beta means that most of the bugs has been fixed or killed, the developers feel that the product is close to completion, and that they only need to track down the small, or rare bugs. When I spoke my mind, I got ridiculed rather than the person arguing his perspective.

This is what I said:
When the software reaches beta stage, it means the developers feel confident about the viability of beta release. Yes, of course, beta is not a finished product, but its not beta when there's obvious bugs and trouble in it.
This is another user:
Indeed, they felt - rightfully, - confident to release it as a beta.
Wait, you call THIS confident?

Posting and editing posts over there is really, really annoying.

I used to be able to make one sentence and click "post reply" 5 seconds later. Not this new editor.

I used to be able to make a mistake and highlight the message and edit as necessary. Not this editor.

When you move the cursor to the other area of the message, IT DOESN'T. This is worse when you press "backspace" or delete, it deletes what you wrote outside where you put the cursor. The cursor is invisible, too.

When you highlight, intending to delete that particular highlight, it doesn't delete that highlight, instead it deletes where the cursor is likely to be.

I used to be able to post a long message and none of the message gets lost. I can lose 1 or two sentences, and the autosave doesn't have it.

Waiting for autosave to propagate for the most part is a hit and miss. I wait a few seconds for the software to autosave, it doesn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom