Strange things at VB.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
3) vBulletin 4 has been out for 2 years now and surprising still can not add 1 simple editor, but yet can announce they are working on vBulletin 5.
And what's the issue with this? Companies announce products far in advance all the time. Microsoft started working on Windows 8 before Windows 7 even went into beta. vB has announced v5 is coming and in the meantime is continually improving the 4.x series.

And what's the issue with this? Companies announce products far in advance all the time. Microsoft started working on Windows 8 before Windows 7 even went into beta. vB has announced v5 is coming and in the meantime is continually improving the 4.x series.

The difference is Microsoft knew they had a complete product already and were not aggressively coding the next release yet (it was more of "thought stage").

vBulletin on the other hand still has over 2,000 un-resolved bugs... After 2 years from its official release (seems more like a paid beta) and they are actually coding vBulletin 5 now.

It just confirms my feelings from March-June 2010 (and the reason I moved on) - the vB developers aren't as good as the pre-IB team were. The result is in the product.

xF has written a whole new forum platform from the ground up and IPS have created a new 3 series product (and a host of add-on extension packages) and are now in the process of rolling out a new version with lots of nice changes and good improvements.

It's a real shame - vB 3.x was a fantastic product that went "global" and had all the bells and whistles you could want - but the quality previously associated with vB (the brand coolness and "defacto" forum software crown it used to hold) have been whittled away and it is now lagging behind and doing a poor job of trying to catch up.

I don't doubt the development team at vB are trying their best but the results speak for themselves and the cracks in the product seem to be getting bigger as time progresses.

TBH I've left vB behind. I moved away a year ago and haven't looked back since. My forums are doing well and I'm enjoying the changes both at IPS and xF and my registered members continue to be happy with having advertisement-free forums to come and get together and chew the cud.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Are there boards that run on their own custom forum software? Would be interesting to know.
Yes there is, I am a member at 4 sites that run their own forum software, unless you are building it yourself though...you're looking at thousands of dollars to have this done.

I think the whole thing going on with Internet Brands / vBulletin is comical & sad all at the same time.

1) Invision Services has a pre-view release of 3.2, which is almost a complete re-write & includes a new editor, before vBulletin could add 1 simple editor

2) Xenforo 1.0 / 1.0.1 which was written from the ground up, was released quicker before vBulletin can add 1 simple editor

3) vBulletin 4 has been out for 2 years now and surprising still can not add 1 simple editor, but yet can announce they are working on vBulletin 5.

It's all sad & comical at the same time.

That's what happens when you sue people for doing good work instead of doing good work yourself.

they had their faces twisted toward their haunches
and found it necessary to walk backward,
because they could not see ahead of them.
... and since he wanted so to see ahead,
he looks behind and walks a backward path
-1310​

vBulletin 4 has been out for 2 years now and surprising still can not add 1 simple editor, but yet can announce they are working on vBulletin 5.
It's all sad & comical at the same time.
Forget about the editor. Most of my users refuse to use advanced search since the "bug" introduced in vb 4 (works fine in vb3) puts all the forums into one long list with no formatting. Trying sifting through 50-70 forums without any indication as to which is a forum/category and which is a subforum/subcategory. That's not happening and apparently neither is a fix for the indefinite future after 17 months of waiting.

this reminds me of the vb2 beta days when ubb were going to strike back and reassert their dominance...
'ubb6: power unleashed!' was their new slogan. they built up for a huge launch, touting their new caching system, boasting of unparallelled speed and stability. launch day came and... ubb crashed. and crashed. and crashed. they couldnt keep it running for longer than ten minutes at a time. they had failed to take into account what a resource hog their new board was ;)
it was then that i knew for certain that i had made the right decision in dumping ubb. actually thats i lie. i knew it long before then.

I wish I could sell my licenses but all the buy/sell forums i've tried have people that have been ripped off by scammers so many times they won't buy from me.

i'm really happy that this happened.
Many here know that i really trusted them that vB5 would become great, because NOBODY can be so stupid and make the same mistakes a second time.

but really strange things happened in the last days, which showed once again what amateurs they are and as people started calling me a liar (at least 1 apologized as he saw that i was right) and troll (was it soooo hard to put me on there ignore list instead of feeding the cute troll
badteeth.gif
i decided to delete my account there (but sadly they don't do this:( ) so i'm now banned and have a new strange username ( http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/member.php/122183-ragtek )

Many here know that i really trusted them that vB5 would become great, because NOBODY can be so stupid and make the same mistakes a second time.

but really strange things happened in the last days, which showed once again what amateurs they are and as people started calling me a liar (at least 1 apologized as he saw that i was right) and troll (was it soooo hard to put me on there ignore list instead of feeding the cute troll
badteeth.gif
i decided to delete my account there (but sadly they don't do this:( ) so i'm now banned and have a new strange username ( http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/member.php/122183-ragtek )
I was wondering what happened to you. You and punchbowl were a select few guys who kept me visiting there on occasion just for the laughs. I had been on a hiatus from everywhere, working primarily on the next steps of our site to be revealed shortly. Your response to the agile explained and the allegedly daily allocation of work gave me giggles for a long time.

"so do the developer dice in the morning, or do you have an random generator who decides who's working on what?"

Don't worry, you're not missing too much and I don't know what to expect any more. I went back there to see how the mobile suite was doing. Talk about second time mistakes... Suffice it to say you're not missing anything and, as I learned from my hiatus, you're better off keeping yourself within a productive environment. Everything else just sucks you in and wastes energy and valuable time. Back on track and I'm a happier person for it.

The new editor has a lot of bugs. Its more of a mess than the xenforo editor. xf's editor's great, but it's not perfect.

badteeth.gif
hahaa, all I have to do is look @ pre-sales to know what is going on and the occasional Site Feedback. Can you or did you sell your licenses?

badteeth.gif
:S, You were one of the few reasons to go to vb.com...ever...

lol your usertitle
"Banned by User Request" and I love the random name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom