[rellect] AdBlock Detector [Deleted]

Share it please! Also... Are you doing anything to make the experience unpleasant for these visitors?

We cannot share it because it is highly customized for our forum in combination with our local ad server.

Users with ad blockers do not get access to many features of our site.

We also use this add-on to blur out all post's text except the first post in each thread for ad blockers.

Would still love the option to turn on discouraged mode for adblock users. Anything accessible in the front UI would be blocked by the adblockers eventually. Though I am not sure how XenForo discouraged mode works.

So does this mean "Overlay" is the only type of notice that currently works?
This was specific to the domain the last time I checked.
Anyway I already developed a solution, and an update should be realeased sometime next month.
Would still love the option to turn on discouraged mode for adblock users. Anything accessible in the front UI would be blocked by the adblockers eventually. Though I am not sure how XenForo discouraged mode works.
This will be possible once the option to set usergroup to adblock users will be added.

Not working for me, massive reports of false positives. I even tried setting notice to 10,000hrs yet I saw the adblock notice 3 times in 1hr in firefox (I have no security apps interfering with tracking. Other members also reporting false positives after x'ing out of the notice. I've had to disable it :/

Not working for me, massive reports of false positives. I even tried setting notice to 10,000hrs yet I saw the adblock notice 3 times in 1hr in firefox (I have no security apps interfering with tracking. Other members also reporting false positives after x'ing out of the notice. I've had to disable it :/
I'd suggest to run permission analyzer (Users > Analyze Permissions) to verify that permissions set as expected.
Note that if you dismissed the alert and then logged out from the site - when you'll log in the alert will popup again regardless of the time limit between alerts (this happens because all cookies are cleared once you logout).

If the above doesn't help to solve the problem, please send me a link to your site and I'll take a look.

I'd suggest to run permission analyzer (Users > Analyze Permissions) to verify that permissions set as expected.
Note that if you dismissed the alert and then logged out from the site - when you'll log in the alert will popup again regardless of the time limit between alerts (this happens because all cookies are cleared once you logout).

If the above doesn't help to solve the problem, please send me a link to your site and I'll take a look.
Thanks, will have a look soon. I think part of the problem is everyone starting to run various anti-tracking addons. For example I had a few who practically run private browsing sessions so every time they come back they are prompted. I think what we need is an option so:

-users are prompted they run adblock
-they decide 'ok, i'll disable it' and also close the prompt

at that point the nagging ends. So there needs to be something more permanent than session/cookie based. This way in the rare case of a false hit, the back end knows they already saw the message. Think this could be doable in the next version? Maybe a database entry that is permanent acknowledgement of running ad block.

Maybe a database entry that is permanent acknowledgement of running ad block.
Create a user group that allows bypass of ad-block and put those users into that usergroup.
There's even a @Brogan FAQ entry somewhere that outlines having a user field selection that will automatically self-serve and put them into a usergroup., or an add-on for joinable usergroups.

Thanks, will have a look soon. I think part of the problem is everyone starting to run various anti-tracking addons. For example I had a few who practically run private browsing sessions so every time they come back they are prompted. I think what we need is an option so:

-users are prompted they run adblock
-they decide 'ok, i'll disable it' and also close the prompt

at that point the nagging ends. So there needs to be something more permanent than session/cookie based. This way in the rare case of a false hit, the back end knows they already saw the message. Think this could be doable in the next version? Maybe a database entry that is permanent acknowledgement of running ad block.
I understand now the situation. I assume it affects very few users, but I'll do the necessary changes to make the functionality more reliable.

I understand now the situation. I assume it affects very few users, but I'll do the necessary changes to make the functionality more reliable.
looking forward to it thanks. I had quite a few users saying it keeps prompting them eventhough they turned off adblock, so a perm method would be a great option. Maybe option could be titled "Disable nagging. Once user acknowledges Adblock notification, they will not be prompted again".

looking forward to it thanks. I had quite a few users saying it keeps prompting them eventhough they turned off adblock, so a perm method would be a great option. Maybe option could be titled "Disable nagging. Once user acknowledges Adblock notification, they will not be prompted again".
I think you're describing two different situations.

One situation was about dismissing the alert but because user is browsing with private session it keeps to show the alert for him regardless the time limit set in the permission, which as explained happens because this works with a cookie to store when the alert was dismissed.

In this post you're describing another situation which is a case that shouldn't happen - user disabled adblock but the alert won't go away.
The most common reason for that is user using multiple adblock extensions. Easiest way to figure this out is just ask the user if he actually sees ads on the site.

I think in the end I will just do a blanket notice to current and new members asking them to please unblock ads on the site. They dismiss it the notice and that's it. With 1,000's of people hitting the forum every day there are too many variables to rely on session based acknowledgement imo. Unless I want an average of 10 helpdesk tickets a day regarding false positives or anomalies.

The most common reason for that is the use of multiple adblocks at once.
could be, but try to educate 15k active people how to use their ad block properly and you see the nightmare. That's why it's important for me that once they acknowledge the ad block notice that it never comes back again..

I don't know if it's a bug or it's as designed, but there's no way to close the Notification on mobile devices, in case Enable Detection on Mobiles is ticked.

I don't know if it's a bug or it's as designed, but there's no way to close the Notification on mobile devices, in case Enable Detection on Mobiles is ticked.
Does user has permission to dismiss adblock alert?

If yes, I'll need some more details in order to check
- The close button is not present? or just doesn't work?
- What is the device model and the browser used?

Top Bottom