• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.4 Miscellaneous Improvements

Amaury

Back when we were on vBulletin, I had customized the online status indication how it's shown in the XenForo mockup below (see the Status field). Would I be able to do this with custom CSS on XenForo?

Status 1.png Status 2.png Status 3.png

Amaury

Hey, @Brogan, now that 1.4 has been released on here and you can likely see the code now, is something for invisible possible like shown in my screenshot above?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
You can already do this with the existing message_user_info template. It will be no different for XF 1.4.

The template param is {$user.visible}.

So:

Code:
<xen:if is="!{$user.visible}">
    Invisible
</xen:if>

Amaury

You can already do this with the existing message_user_info template. It will be no different for XF 1.4.

The template param is {$user.visible}.

So:

Code:
<xen:if is="!{$user.visible}">
    Invisible
</xen:if>
Would it be the same param for online and offline?

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Not sure in 1.3.x without looking, but of course that IS in 1.4 in some form so you could certainly achieve everything in that screenshot.

Amaury

In 1.4, online is $message.isOnline.
Going by that, I'd like to say for invisible and offline it'd be $message.isInvisible and $message.isOffline, but that's probably not it. ;)

Not sure in 1.3.x without looking, but of course that IS in 1.4 in some form so you could certainly achieve everything in that screenshot.
Thanks, Chris.

Once 1.4 is out of beta and we update to it on KH-Flare, I'll play around with this stuff and ask for help in the respective support forums if need be. :)

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
You use ! for the opposite case but if you are just doing online and offline, then if a member is not online then they are obviously offline.

I suspect that a template modification will be available long before 1.4 is released as a stable version.

Amaury

You use ! for the opposite case but if you are just doing online and offline, then if a member is not online then they are obviously offline.

I suspect that a template modification will be available long before 1.4 is released as a stable version.
Great! (y)

Something like this, I assume?

Code:
$message.is!Online

Martok

Sorry to ask another question about the 'green dot of doom'... ;)

I have just noticed that the green dot is visible to guests (which is expected as the online list is also visible to guests). On my site, I hide the online list from guests using a conditional. Can you confirm that the same can be done for the online indicator?

Russ

Sorry to ask another question about the 'green dot of doom'... ;)

I have just noticed that the green dot is visible to guests (which is expected as the online list is also visible to guests). On my site, I hide the online list from guests using a conditional. Can you confirm that the same can be done for the online indicator?
Also a simple line of css should do the trick:

Code:
.LoggedOut .onlineMarker { display: none; }

Luxus

Also a simple line of css should do the trick:

Code:
.LoggedOut .onlineMarker { display: none; }
This would just hide it from view but guests would still be able to see it if they know what they are doing. It's better to remove the dot completly via a conditional.

Shelley

This would just hide it from view but guests would still be able to see it if they know what they are doing. It's better to remove the dot completly via a conditional.
Whilst that is true, I'm betting 99% wouldn't bother trying to use code inspectors and wasting time trying to find who's online. I think it would still be a good alternative if you wanted to limit yourself on the template edits.

Luxus

The point is it doesn't make sense to "soft-hide" an online indicator for guests when the online list is "hard-hidden" for them. Consistency and such.