Limited Guest Viewing

Limited Guest Viewing [Paid] 1.7.3

No permission to buy ($20.00)
I've just bought and downloaded v1.7 - is that the right one for my version (latest 2.2 just bought last week)? Also - how do I install it please? Have downloaded to PC - what next? :). Sorry - I'm a beginner!

I went to Add-ons - Install/upgrade from archive and I get this message. Which I don't understand :). I had the same issue when trying to install Resource Manager but then after some time it just popped up as ready to install so I didn't need to do anything in the server that time.

"Installing from archives must be explicitly enabled by adding the following line to src/config.php: $config['enableAddOnArchiveInstaller'] = true;
Various directories must be writable by the web server user to install from an archive and this may be considered to be insecure in some hosting environments. Your server must also have ZipArchive support in PHP."

Sorted. For anyone else who doesn't have a clue what src/config.php is - you log into your server, go to file manager, open the public_html file with your xenforo upload in - go to the file called src. Open it - go to config - open it - paste the code given in the message in Xenforo when you tried to install - paste it at the end of the other code there on a new line. Save. Close server web page.

It then installs in Xenforo add ons smoothly. To check its there go to Set up - options and scroll down to the bottom. The default options were all fine for me and it's working great.

According to the Xenforo article you might want to remove that extra bit of code from src/config folder after installing the add on - its a security to stop your admin account being hacked.

@Wutime - I'm trying to purchase on your site, but none of the payment options are working. When I select PayPal and click next, the page reloads but nothing else happens. Is anyone else having this issue?

Just purchased and installed. Love the idea! Give them a taste of your forum and then compel them to register / join!

Is there (or could there be in an update) a way to edit the warning message? For example, it would be cool if we could include some information about the benefits of registration such as, "Remember... When you register, you'll have access to the Resource Center."

Edit to add: I figured out how to do the above.

Also... Just tested by visiting my forum as a guest. Worked a charm. But, then I logged into my account for a while. And, then logged out and visited as a guest again. It seems the limited views count started all over. So, I'm guessing that doesn't key on the IP and a guest could just start a new session and reset the count? If that's the case, it really won't do much to compel guest to register, eh? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the add-on!

Last edited:
Yes, the "phrase" is in the phrase system.

And yes, it's just cookie based. IP based sounds good in theory, and could easily be added, but it's bad in practice (search bots, shared IP's amongst large companies, database connections, etc.).

So, I'm guessing that doesn't key on the IP and a guest could just start a new session and reset the count? If that's the case, it really won't do much to compel guest to register, eh? Or am I doing something wrong?
So you may think, but in practice it works well. Keep in mind, unless you're running a tech-based forum, most basic users will not have the knowledge to circumvent. And, if they are knowledgeable enough, they'll find ways around IP-based (VPN, etc.).

Not sure I've explained my thinking well enough, but feel free to private message me if not.

Reactions: ENF
Yes, the "phrase" is in the phrase system.

And yes, it's just cookie based. IP based sounds good in theory, and could easily be added, but it's bad in practice (search bots, shared IP's amongst large companies, database connections, etc.).

Yeah... in retrospect, I thought about cookies. OK... the cookies are presumably on my computer. Why did the count reset when I re-accessed the site on the same computer? It just starts over for each session. That being the case... I don't see it accomplishing what it is supposed to accomplish. Or am I missing something? Why doesn't it work when I try it on my computer?

Thanks! (y)

Cookies reset on browser closure.

I didn't close the browser. I visited the site as a guest... intentionally viewed the number of pages that would trip the forced registration, as designed. I thought cool!

Then, I simply logged into the forum. Then logged out and revisited the forum as a guest. That's when I realized that the limited view addon did not recognize me and started the count over.

My browsers have always retained cookies even when I close them... for the multi-decades I've been using browsers. Cookies are deleted only if I manually delete them. When I revisit websites, the cookies are still there from the previous sessions unless I've manually deleted them.

In any case, I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't work quite the way I thought. That's on me. My expectations were mistaken. Thanks for the chat and explanation. I'm still learning.

Last edited:
Are you sure this wont block google bot? Any chance to add the Google Bot and other Serch Engine IPs to ensure SEO won't be affected?

Same question here ...

And: cookies make some times in some cases problems with our law (EU) if they was not realy needed. It helps not when I have to ask bevor to use the cookie for this addon I think. ;-)
What would you think about a solution more browser based? Like a browser fingerprint (Browser, version, language, what ever... ) instead?

Top Bottom