[DBTech] DragonByte Member Map

[DBTech] DragonByte Member Map 2.0.1

No permission to download
ErrorException: Undefined index: dbtech_membermap_out - src/addons/DBTech/MemberMap/Action/Main.php:154

... taking a shot at some input here.

Is this addon still viable for xf 1.5x ?

I had to give up what I was using before, and members want to see the functionality return.

Is this addon still viable for xf 1.5x ?

I had to give up what I was using before, and members want to see the functionality return.
XF 1.5 versions are no longer being actively developed, since 1.5 is end-of-life. That being said, I don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work :)

me to ...

IP should be only the second after using location field. I helps my members with auto location addon to fill in the location field correct, so thats for me the better way as an IP. :)

Hi, we have your Member Map add on (paid version) installed on our 2.1 Xenforo board and it has worked great for years. All of a sudden we are getting server errors. I'm only marginally tech savvy - any idea why we'd be getting these all of a sudden (seems to have started at the start of the new year). I doubt it's related but our Xenforo support also just expired.

Attachments

• membermap error.webp
    membermap error.webp
    60.1 KB · Views: 4
Hi, we have your Member Map add on (paid version) installed on our 2.1 Xenforo board and it has worked great for years. All of a sudden we are getting server errors. I'm only marginally tech savvy - any idea why we'd be getting these all of a sudden (seems to have started at the start of the new year). I doubt it's related but our Xenforo support also just expired.
That looks like an add-on issue and not an XF issue. If you still have support with DragonByte I'd suggest opening a ticket there, or seeing if there is an updated version of the add-on out.

I just had this map added to my forum and the members really like it. Thanks for your time and effort! I (they) have a question though. When it first goes through the batch update to load all the locations it catches users on vacation or somewhere other than where they live. If they find their pin and move it where they want it, will the add-on ever move the pin again if they login somewhere else? I told them I think it only locates pins one time but I was guessing.

I just had this map added to my forum and the members really like it. Thanks for your time and effort! I (they) have a question though. When it first goes through the batch update to load all the locations it catches users on vacation or somewhere other than where they live. If they find their pin and move it where they want it, will the add-on ever move the pin again if they login somewhere else? I told them I think it only locates pins one time but I was guessing.
The automated update will only trigger if the user has not manually placed / changed their pin :)

The automated update will only trigger if the user has not manually placed / changed their pin
So occasional users may have a pin in the wrong place until they login again, or active users could have their pins follow them around if they don't manually place it?

I have a separate question for you. I get asked why the profile location (city, state) isn't used to locate, which is how the last map I used worked (can't remember the name). I tell the users that it's because it takes time to develop these add-ons and the developers don't know how much they'll get back until after all the work has been done. How do you decide when it's worth the time to develop something like that?

Again, your map has been well received.

So occasional users may have a pin in the wrong place until they login again, or active users could have their pins follow them around if they don't manually place it?
It's only when they perform any action that creates a new IP address record, such as making a post, that their updated IP will be used for geolocation.

I have a separate question for you. I get asked why the profile location (city, state) isn't used to locate, which is how the last map I used worked (can't remember the name). I tell the users that it's because it takes time to develop these add-ons and the developers don't know how much they'll get back until after all the work has been done. How do you decide when it's worth the time to develop something like that?
The profile location isn't used because that field is a free-form text field. It would effectively exclude any forum that's dedicated to a fandom (such as Star Wars; many locations would be fictional planets in the Star Wars canon) or similar.

The profile location isn't used because that field is a free-form text field. It would effectively exclude any forum that's dedicated to a fandom (such as Star Wars; many locations would be fictional planets in the Star Wars canon) or similar.
I understand. The last map I had on the site used the profile location and it worked fairly well because it's a car enthusiast forum and most input their location correctly. It also gave the user an option of not putting in their location or putting one of their choice. Thanks for the responses.

If you need a mebermap wich using the location field - try the one from @mcatze

Both - the one here from DragonByte Tech and the one I named above ar good membermaps but works not the same way. I use the one from the link I above. Since the first beta and it runs simply like it should since I installed it and its good supported to.

Now that Google maps is charging out the "arse" for use (if site is very busy)... any thought of using something like OpenMap instead of Google?

Top Bottom