[DBTech] DragonByte Member Map

[DBTech] DragonByte Member Map 2.0.1

No permission to download
@DragonByte Tech, this is a nice add-on and if <notice I said if> I don't move to IPS 4.3 for my XF site when 2.01 comes out (depends on what they do with it) I'll grab and register the 2.x version... but, to the reason of the post. There are two entries that I found rather confusing.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 11.05.45 PM.webp

This one appears to say that if it's disabled, all users in the member base will be shown. When I disable it, only I am shown on the map. When I enable it all my registered users are shown. So it basically does just the opposite of what it says.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 11.05.57 PM.webp
From reading, it wants the full path AND the filename.ext of the GeoLite2 DB. If that is correct, this is misleading as I only put in the /usr/share/GeoIP/ expecting it to know what filename to look for by default. If it does need the filename then it probably should denote that also.

This is with the 2.0.1 version.

Other than that, great add-on!

Last edited:
If I understand this correctly (from a prior reply), this maps people by IP address? If so, wouldn't that be wildly wrong for all users connecting with mobile devices over a cell network?

Does this add on require licensing of google maps?

If I understand this correctly (from a prior reply), this maps people by IP address? If so, wouldn't that be wildly wrong for all users connecting with mobile devices over a cell network?
Probably.

Does this add on require licensing of google maps?
The Google Maps API is free, so no. If this mod for some reason got popular, I would have to force users to set up their own Google Maps API project but for now, the usage is within the limits.

Fillip

The Google Maps API is free, so no. If this mod for some reason got popular, I would have to force users to set up their own Google Maps API project but for now, the usage is within the limits.

Our forum is using an old add on that leverages the Google api and it seems they are now charging for it. Thus the reason we are looking for a free solution (or at least one that is very low cost). We'd prefer to map members from their location in their profile, although it would be cool if it was done both ways (location in profile first, then IP). Any chance this is something you are working on?

Yep, the Google API has restricted it even more than it was before. There is an API out that is still free. OpenStreetMap has their OpenLayers API for use, and I'm pretty sure it's still free.

Our forum is using an old add on that leverages the Google api and it seems they are now charging for it. Thus the reason we are looking for a free solution (or at least one that is very low cost). We'd prefer to map members from their location in their profile, although it would be cool if it was done both ways (location in profile first, then IP). Any chance this is something you are working on?
Given that this is a free add-on, it's unlikely to be updated any time soon (short of bug fixes). Doubly so when I have a literal mountain of work to do on updating the other XF2 add-ons :D

Fillip

@DragonByte Tech

Just tried this, interestingly I had pins on my map after entering my Google API but before I had entered by GeoIP DB location... How are those lookups done I wonder (by XF location field???)? If so what takes precedence Location field or IP?

Small typo in Member Map options you have this sentence under Show All (If this setting is enabled, only users currently active on your forum will be included in the Member Map. )

I think it should say if this setting is DISabled...

Thanks for the addon. It works well so far. Lots of feature requests but for a free addon it's great.

I'm confused, what do you mean "first updates"? Users will always have a registration IP.

Fillip

I know. It was adding pins to the map before I had set the geoip2 path.

There's also a small glitch I see heatmap/cluster symbols at max zoom that don't resolve to pins.... Lots of them....

Oh wait, javascript error on the map, probably related:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'maxZoom' of undefined
at Pg.<anonymous> (markerclusterer.min.js?_v=f2a3b531:16)
at Object.trigger (js?key=mykey&callback=initMap:151)
at Dd (js?key=mykey&callback=initMap:63)
at Pg._.n.set (js?key=mykey&callback=initMap:153)
at Pg.setZoom (js?key=mykey&callback=initMap:66)
at core.min.js?_v=f2a3b531:2

@DragonByte Tech

Last edited:
Has already been reported & fixed for the next version :)

Fillip

Thanks Filip.

Also it seems to have stopped after about 1k users for me. No errors in the log. Is there some other option/parameter/last active consideration? It's been a day and no updates to the pin count. Min posts is set to 0 and yes I have more users :)

Top Bottom