Current Litigation

Can we discuss the announcement rather than your personal vendetta against vBulletin, Bob Brisco or whatever?

Good luck xen team, hopefully you kick ass and show vbulletin up for what they are, and possibly have a song written about your ordeals ala ebaumsworld vs the internet

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's the general number I've been hearing for some time. Do the math, it's not a trivial amount of dough.

Oh, I understand from a monetary stand point but being they have been in business for 10 years and when you go to a majority of the forum sites it's running vB, it just seems low.. I don't know..

Jamie

I wouldn't say a majority... IPB have a huge stake in the commercial software market. PHPBB has probably one of the largest stakes... just not much in big boards, but still some.

With WordPress these days, many want free co-operative solutions, and WP offer that with their BB that they have now produced. Simple, all in one solution pretty much that full integrates with WP for blogging or CMS.

I think because nobody is producing anything like XF... XF have found themselves a niche within a niche that the majority are screaming for... being something between a Facebook / Forum solution, which XF has produced. All these other products are trying to integrate news feed / activity streams into their products, but they are hacking the product in order to try and achieve these goals... which so far aren't showing as that promising.

I agree with the above points, namely if xF had not come along then it would be IPB I'd now be looking at. Anything BUT vB4, and I only bought a licence for vB4 because I was forced to by the expiry of my current one for vB3. So it's not XenForo that has taken my custom, rather it is Internet Brands that has lost it.

You mean that you renewed because you thought you needed to so you could get security updates to keep your vB 3 script current and that there was no other way to secure your software against security holes, so you made the purchase of vB 4 to get fixes for vB 3, correct ?

This is all a vital part of XF defense in this lawsuit with IB claiming that XF conspired to take customers from IB, when in fact the customers left due to fraudulent licensing and due to an under performing and bug filled new version of vB, vBulletin 4.

[...] because they sold me a Blog that they knew was going to be obsolete in a matter of weeks. [...]
This is indeed completely unethical. If you're going to sell a product that depends heavily on continuous support and development, you have to include information like how long you will be supporting and developing it after the sale (if it's not indefinite). If a product will be reaching end of life soon and will be replaced, then this needs to be announced in advance and existing customers should be offered some fair switching method with respect to what they've already paid for the product that is being replaced. It seems that they have failed to do this, or at least failed to do so in a way that kept most customers happy and loyal.

I agree with anotheralias. I didn't own vBlogs at that time, but I do know how everyone who had bought them must have been really really pissed.

LOL, the best evidence to prove that customers were very unhappy is in the thread linked in my signature since vB deleted most of the comments and vital threads that illustrated dissatisfaction with the new licensing scheme on the official forums when the rebellion started.

You mean that you renewed because you thought you needed to so you could get security updates to keep your vB 3 script current and that there was no other way to secure your software against security holes, so you made the purchase of vB 4 to get fixes for vB 3, correct ?

This is all a vital part of XF defense in this lawsuit with IB claiming that XF conspired to take customers from IB, when in fact the customers left due to fraudulent licensing and due to an under performing and bug filled new version of vB, vBulletin 4.

I renewed because I had a leased licence which was expiring and understood that unless I bought a new licence, I could not continue to run vB3. As there were no leased licences anymore, I had no choice but to buy the current licence, which is for vB4 series (but also covers vB3), and was forced to accept the new T&C. I'm sure from memory this increased the costs to me quite a bit too. Basically I had no choice at the time, pay up or close the forum down (or move to IPB).

I renewed because I had a leased licence which was expiring and understood that unless I bought a new licence, I could not continue to run vB3. As there were no leased licences anymore, I had no choice but to buy the current licence, which is for vB4 series (but also covers vB3), and was forced to accept the new T&C. I'm sure from memory this increased the costs to me quite a bit too. Basically I had no choice at the time, pay up or close the forum down (or move to IPB).

We had to do the same with our site. The only reason I bought the vb4 licence was to keep our board running 3.8x.

The costs are definitely up on the old licencing system (purchase/leased).

Back
Top Bottom