1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would my current layout be possible with XenForo?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Bain, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Bain

Bain Active Member

I am considering jumping over to XenForo within the next month. So far, most of the forums I have seen are keeping the same design and layout, with mainly color changes.

With my current forum layout I have placed my communities in a unique place by themselves, as far as competition goes. I would like to know if the current layout would be possible using Xen. Would it require a lot of work?

The current design I have took me roughly 10 hours.
    Not only are the forums/categories side by side, but the sub forums are as well.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You should be able to achieve that with template edits.
    It would require quite a lot of customisation though but nowhere near 10 hours work I suspect.
  3. Bain

Bain Active Member

The 10 hours was pretty much my trying to figure IPB out.... haha
    I work through trial and error.
    Shelley likes this.
  4. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any XF forums yet to do forum names side by side.
    Nor has anyone made a recent posts module.
    I'm sure it will come.
  5. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

If you wish to display forums side by side, and not just sub-forums, it should be simple enough.

I attempted just sub-forums and ran into issues because of how similar the markup and code was ;(.
  6. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Somoene (Kier?) posted an example of forums in 2 columns. I'll try to find the thread it's definitely possible and has been done already.
  7. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

8. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member

9. Erik

Erik Well-Known Member

The template syntax is extremely easy to work with and understand, so that should definitely be possible. :)
  10. Xarcell

Xarcell Well-Known Member

Yes, it would be possible for someone who knows what they are doing. Wouldn't be that hard either.

BTW, I like your site.
  11. p4guru

p4guru Well-Known Member

sweet would be nice if xenforo offered out of box 1 or 2 style layouts such as above to choose from :D
    steven s likes this.
  12. Bain

Bain Active Member

I am moving servers right now (from a (dv) extreme to a (ve) 2GB server @ MediaTemple). I may try and sell 2 of my IPB licenses and purchase a XenForo.
    If I could get the layout to have forums and subforums side by side (and it appears I can do this easily) then you'll have a new customer in the near future.

It's definitely faster than IPB.
    Peggy likes this.
  13. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to joining your site when you get it all set up. Those kinds of discussions intrigue me.
  14. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

If you accomplished this in IPB I have no doubt whatsoever that you'll do this easily in a fraction of the time. Just so you know, I did make a suggestion regarding subforums in columns which I thought looked nice and saved tons of space. You may want to visit that thread and post giving it more chance of being implemented. :)
  15. Bain

Bain Active Member

Does anyone here have experience running NGINX? I will be getting rid of apache and running it (NGINX) on Ubuntu 10.04.
    What accelerators is recommended for this? Memcache or XCache?
  16. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

17. Bain

Bain Active Member

Well, I finally am back around and purchased a license. This actually went through.. haha

So we will see.

Is there any converter for IPB 3?
    Dragonfly likes this.