Conversation Essentials

Conversation Essentials [Paid] 1.14.1

No permission to buy ($45.00)
  • Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
Doesn't exactly build a strong foundation when you're charging for updates right off the bat.

I'm sorry that's how you feel. These add ons are very stable and have been for a long time. I have never made a penny off any of these add ons. I am supporting them for free, currently. Once I start developing new features and releasing upgrades is when people will be charged (not the full sale price, might I add). If you're unhappy with this I am sorry. However, if I did not do this, you wouldn't be getting updates at all. @Syndol is retiring. So either it was no more support, no more updates, no more bug fixes, etc, or have me take over and pay a small fee to resume your support.

I don't mind discussing this issue but I'd like to limit it to one thread instead of having it with numerous people (I'm sure there's others that are going to ask aside from you two) in a variety of places. I'd really like to have it in this thread, or this thread.

I don't mind discussing this issue but I'd like to limit it to one thread instead of having it with numerous people (I'm sure there's others that are going to ask aside from you two) in a variety of places. I'd really like to have it in this thread, or this thread.
Look, don't get me wrong, you have every right to charge for taking over the addons. You're doing the work and you deserve to be compensated. But we're all looking at updates here pretty soon to be fully compatible with 1.4, and come right in off the bat and effectively hold that over our heads just strikes me as a bit much. Especially for someone like me who owns almost all of Syn's addons.

If I may make a suggestion - Give the people a little time to get used to you who may not be familiar with you. See how you react in discussion. What your support is like. **** like that. This way, they can decide if they want to continue on with you or just give up on the addon all together.

Edit - I didn't get the alert until I had already posted. I'm going to delete the post in Bookmarks.

Will you be doing 1.4 fixes for free since @Syndol did promise to have everything working correctly for 1.4. How much will the small fee be as well moving forward, as I own 4 of his products.
I'm quoting you over here to try to get this all happening in one thread.

In regards to 1.4
I am under the impression that all these add ons work with 1.4. I have not had control of the code very long so I have not gone through every single line. @Syndol assured me that all of them work with 1.4 but it is only in beta and something may come up. If there is legitimately a bug with compatibility in 1.4, I will fix that without considering it an update or a new version.

In regards to concerns of my support
I am supporting the projects at this moment for free, I have not made a penny. I will address all posts from existing license holders. These add ons all have a reputation for being stable and have been around for a long time so I have confidence there won't be many issues and the whole updating thing won't come up until I add new features.

In regards to multiple licenses/products
I am working on organizing all of the licenses over the course of the next week. I have to see exactly who owns what, and all that fun stuff. The pricing has not been set in stone. Multiple licenses will result in a discount though, that is for sure.

I by no means want to kill anyone with these renewal fees. I am not trying to get rich [off these addons]. I have a full time job and support myself just fine, I do not need to rob you guys.

[Edit] Please move all future conversion here: http://xenmods.com/threads/syndols-addons.248/

Ok, so this is something that some people might find frustrating. Are you going to require all conversation on your forum or are you going to have discussions here?

Both. I only want this conversation to happen over there because I don't know how many people will share a similar concern and how many posts this conversion will go on for and I don't want it to take the discussion thread for this resource far off path. I would like for suggestions and bug reports to go on my forum for easier tracking although I know that not everyone will cooperate. I expect for non-license holders and interested new customers to post in the product's discussion thread instead of my site simply because they don't know otherwise yet. I'm not going to be a 'stickler' for making people post on my forum though if that's your concern.

Whew. I find that to be exceptionally annoying.
The only reasons I use the separate site is because I can't handle sales through XenForo.com itself, and it's easier to categorize, search, and keep track of suggestions/bugs when they happen throughout several threads instead of one thread that is currently at 28 pages. I would never ignore posts on XenForo though, I keep my chrome notifications add on running so I always get alerts fast (when I'm on the computer which is at least 50 hours a week).

I'm sorry if we got off on a wrong foot. I really do want to be as fair as possible to everyone (including myself) as possible. I feel I can be very reasonable. I've come in with no set "this is what it's going to cost and this is how it's going to be" attitude.

How do I download this new version
This isn't actually a new version. I just posted an update to basically alert everyone of the new ownership and to make it known that new licenses can now be purchased. I will have a new version of this with some typos and a minor bug fix added probably next week. In the mean time I'll be going through license data and familiarizing myself with all of Syndol's code.

Ok thanks and then how do we get this new version
I will be emailing all of Syndol's mailing list (the current license holders) when it's ready. Hopefully by then you guys would have registered to http://xenmods.com because that's where I will be distributing (I will have a new product manager that is being built by someone else up that will be very nice). In the next week or so I will be adding all your licenses to my system. You will most likely need to renew your license (for a much smaller amount than the current sale price). Once your license is active, when you view the product on my site instead of seeing a "purchase" button you'll see a "download" button which will give you the zip file.

The only reasons I use the separate site is because I can't handle sales through XenForo.com itself, and it's easier to categorize, search, and keep track of suggestions/bugs when they happen throughout several threads instead of one thread that is currently at 28 pages. I would never ignore posts on XenForo though, I keep my chrome notifications add on running so I always get alerts fast (when I'm on the computer which is at least 50 hours a week).

I'm sorry if we got off on a wrong foot. I really do want to be as fair as possible to everyone (including myself) as possible. I feel I can be very reasonable. I've come in with no set "this is what it's going to cost and this is how it's going to be" attitude.
Oh, the signup and download from the forum is more than ok. Its the dev's who demand that any and all talk take place over on their separate forum. That sucks a bag of *****.

Like I said, I ain't mad at ya. And I certainly understand where you're coming from. But like Mike said, promises were made by Syn, and even still, its a new thing for a lot of people. I gave my 2 cents on the 1.4 grace period idea, and I think that would be a good way for you to build a rapport with people used to Syndol. Change is hard for people. Easier to give them time, with no strings attached, to get used to a new face.

Like I've said, I'm not trying to rip anyone off. If something comes up in 1.4 that breaks the add on. I'm not going to be like "you have to pay me $x or you're out of luck". If it's a legit compatibility issue, I'll fix it real quick. However, I am extremely confident that Syndol's products are stable. I have a few (this is one & so is bookmarking which is where this convo started) of them running on XenMods (which is on 1.4 beta 2) right now. The only reason that they aren't all enabled is because I've only had the files for the past day.

The fact of the matter is, 1.4 didn't change many working parts of XenForo. The only add on that I would actually expect to stop working (flawlessly) is User Essentials and that's already been fixed by Syndol.

If there's a critical bug with 1.4, I will fix it [quickly]. If it all runs smoothly like I expect then the next update is strictly me adding features/functionality.

Hello @Daniel Hood - I was interested in this add on some time ago but the GBP didn't strike my fancy, I do not see the change over to US reflected here in this add on resource.

Thanks

I will be emailing all of Syndol's mailing list (the current license holders) when it's ready. Hopefully by then you guys would have registered to http://xenmods.com because that's where I will be distributing (I will have a new product manager that is being built by someone else up that will be very nice). In the next week or so I will be adding all your licenses to my system. You will most likely need to renew your license (for a much smaller amount than the current sale price). Once your license is active, when you view the product on my site instead of seeing a "purchase" button you'll see a "download" button which will give you the zip file.

Thanks, have signed up

Hello @Daniel Hood - I was interested in this add on some time ago but the GBP didn't strike my fancy, I do not see the change over to US reflected here in this add on resource.

Thanks
The usd price is listed on my site. I went ahead and just used the current conversion rate to keep the prices exactly the same. I left the price on here in gbp for the moment to show people that I'm not actually changing the price, just the currency used.

Thanks, have signed up
No problem. Thank you. Feel free to post suggestions and bug reports for any add on that's for sale there.

I have implemented the ability to search your conversations. You can view it on http://xenmods.com.

I'm going to wait until 1.4 is gold to release it. This allows me more time to go through licenses and get them copied to my new system in the upcoming week or so, and also I promised to provide support for 1.4 without charging for renewals so I have to make sure it's stable through the main release first. Just wanted to give you guys something to look forward to :)

Top Bottom