Alert Improvements by Xon

Alert Improvements by Xon 1.5.6

No permission to download
This is an XF design issue, it happens sometimes if a user clicks reply and also watch nearly at the same time or double clicks reply without flood protection.

Would it be possible to have the option on for everybody to not mark alerts as read when visiting the alert page?

Also would this be possible for the drop down like with conversations? Would be better that not alle are marked as read when viewing that..

Also would this be possible for the drop down like with conversations? Would be better that not alle are marked as read when viewing that..

Yeah that functionality always kind of bugged me. It makes sense to not mark convo alerts as read when you haven't read them, but then they mark all other alerts as read as soon as you mouseover the list? meh

Would it be possible to have the option on for everybody to not mark alerts as read when visiting the alert page?
The alerts page or the alerts dropdown list?

This add-on already supports the alert page not marking as read via the preference; "On viewing alerts page, do not mark alerts as read". I use it fairly heavily on my sites.

:edit: hmm, there isn't an option to make that the default or see/change it from the admincp, and the discoverability sucks.

The alerts page or the alerts dropdown list?

This add-on already supports the alert page not marking as read via the preference; "On viewing alerts page, do not mark alerts as read". I use it fairly heavily on my sites

For the alert page the option is not checked by default. It would be better if it is checked automatic for all users i think.

And the same option for the alerts dropdown list would be fantastic because most users use that to check alerts when on the forum.

Am I correct in assuming there is no Alert Improvements by Xon options page in the ACP? I've had this problem before, where an addon has at least one place to configure it, but the addon description, nor the readme, if supplied, indicates where those options are located. You have to search around for them. My experience with the xF ACP is only 5 days old, so it's been frustrating.

One of my first curiosities was the List Add-ons page. There is a drop-down list of Controls to upgrade, disable and uninstall, but no link that will take you to the configuration page. Seems a simple addition to that list that would make configuring any add-on easier.

This add-on doesn't have any admin options, just a single end-user option; under preferences it adds the "On viewing alerts page, do not mark alerts as read" option.

I plan to expose that option in the admincp, and allow the defaults to be set but I haven't had the time to implement that yet.

This add-on doesn't have any admin options, just a single end-user option; under preferences it adds the "On viewing alerts page, do not mark alerts as read" option.
I didn't even think to look at that page. I looked at Alert Preferences. Shouldn't that option be on that page instead?

Anyway, glad to have found this. It will make some of my members very happy - and I appreciate it too.

Does the performance impact also count with guests? Or is it only for logged in members?

Performance impact
  • 1 extra SELECT query per thread page request when the user has more than zero active alerts.
    • If there are alerts to mark as read, then an extra UPDATE is required.

Xon updated Alert Improvements by Xon with a new update entry:

1.4.3 - Feature Update

The alert summerization attempts to make the alerts pop-up & page usable with high number or likes or ratings. Summerization occurs on accessing the alerts page (pop-up or full-page)

Feature details:
  • Global Optional, Alert summerization by selected content type or user
  • User Option to prevent marking as read when accessing /accounts/alerts page.
  • User Option to prevent summerization when accessing /accounts/alerts page.
  • User Option to adjust summerization threshold
Supported content types for alert summerization

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thanks for the update. However, it now displays all "Alerts Per Page" even in the dropdown menu. Furthermore a global "summarize when greater than" settings would be nice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom