xF Host Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow we will begin moving into our new data center. Servers will be on 1Gbps nLayer premium bandwidth and we will be co-locating though a lease to own program they offer, so these will be our own owned servers :) Currently servers will provision with Barracuda SATA3 (same speed as SAS) drives in RAID. On Tuesday (due to US holiday Monday) special ordered Intel SSD drives will be added and MySQL databases rsync'd to the new SSD drives.

Just out of interest, did you house all of your servers (client and communications, assuming they are separate) in one datacenter?

Any ETA on when it will be back up? Things have gotten crazy over here.

Any update? I woke up to my advertisers just going off via email. This is going to end up having a serious revenue impact on us :(

I sent a scathing email to OVH and Ive reported this to Engadget. "Shut them all down and let abuse sort it out" is the craziest thing Ive ever heard of.

Any update? I woke up to my advertisers just going off via email. This is going to end up having a serious revenue impact on us :(

I sent a scathing email to OVH and Ive reported this to Engadget. "Shut them all down and let abuse sort it out" is the craziest thing Ive ever heard of.
its weird I tweet about their sh!tty customer service on twitter and it appeared no where other than my profile. Maybe I don't know how twitter works. #OVH and @OVH were added.

Working on getting the new servers online today and then will start restoring sites from backups. Meanwhile, still no response from OVH.

Sounds like OVH are a dead duck and this story needs to be spread across all the admin boards around.

Mike I hope you have an xfhost blog working by now for your emergencies. (The google one is pretty comfy to use and instant to set up).
A link to this on all your emails, and your signature here, both: clearly marked - perhaps EMERGENCY INFO! in red - would give people a quick reassuring way to find out what is going on if they can't contact you through your own servers.
I remember when I hosted with you that it really made me panic big time when my main site (as well as all the others) disappeared for several hours. I'd never known more than one hour downtime in sixteen years as a webmistress so as we moved into the third and fourth hour I was utterly shocked and in despair as your site and your email were both unavailable to communicate.

Also have signed up for a cloud server at a different provider during this, but getting clients online comes before configuring a site on it for us. Also e-mail has worked the entire time and have responded to all e-mails as we use google apps for our e-mail.

If for some reason you prefer Canadian hosting, I can recommend iWeb. We have a couple of servers with them. Their abuse policy is very pro-customer, meaning, in my experience they don't just pull the plug but instead contact you if they receive an abuse notice. Support is OK - if you know what you're doing and if your required support is limited to replacing faulty hardware, you should have no problem with them. I have seen negative reviews of iWeb where people complained about lack of support (which I cannot confirm) and language issues (which can be a problem if the support guy is not a native English speaker).

iWeb is worse than OVH when it comes to not caring what goes on with their servers. I've blocked every stinking CIDR I've found for them. Email after email goes unanswered from their abuse team and my logs would still be showing tons of hits from their customers doing bad things on the Interwebz.

iWeb is worse than OVH when it comes to not caring what goes on with their servers. ... Email after email goes unanswered from their abuse team

Well, for the admin hosting servers there, at least in the case of unwarranted abuse notices, you know you don't have to worry about them unexpectedly pulling the plug without prior notice. :p

On a more serious note, it is true that iWeb hosted plenty of spammers (and other unpleasant crooks) in the past. But they have dramatically cleaned their network over the past years. See here for the most recent hostexploit host report:

http://hostexploit.com/downloads/summary/7-public-reports/46-world-hosts-report-march-2013.html

They used to be in the top 10 of worst hosts, along with OVH and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom