XenZine Articles [Deleted]

@Morgian sorry, I'm still working on this area

-- People expect to be able to do so much with custom fields, so it's not an insignificant area (requires work and testing)

Thank you Mike for being patient with my fussing.
I understand - and also we know that you check things thoroughly so when we get it the wait will be worth it.

i am looking for places to translate "vote for this this article", loading pages" "no more pages to load" and I can't seem to find them through the system. Can anyone name the phrases maybe thanks!

Sorry if I'm late to the party. Is XenZine dependent on images or does it work with purely text based articles as well? Is there a way to generate images for articles that don't have one (referring to the image used in the listings, not images that might be part of the actual article).

I find the image-based article index page messy, and I too would be more interested in this if a text-based alternative were offered.

Is there a way to hide categories that have zero articles? This way I can give my members all available options when creating an article, but until all categories have something in, most of them will be empty.

@Dakis

You mean hide them from the Article List (not the submission area)?
- No, but it's a good suggestion for an ACP option, I'll add it to the to-do list

Yes from the article list and the categories list. Thanks :)

One more suggestion: be able to sort articles in any category by rating/date/random ?

I've just installed XenZine and I'm very impressed so far - finding it really intuitive to use plus the layout is excellent.

However, there's a small glitch I can't workout with my article heading only showing the first word - any idea what has happened?

articles missign heading.webp

@SelfSufficientMe

I assume that doesn't usually happen. Is there any custom css applied to the article page?

Can you reproduce the same thing here: http://xenzine.com (registering and feel free to test your scenario)

Can also send me the url so I can look at the mark-up

Last edited:
@SelfSufficientMe

Is there any custom css applied to the article page?

Ahhh, that's it... There's no css applied to the article page directly but I have altered my styles colours (on a child) so the article page heading text just happened to use the default colour blending into the background. Just need to make a colour change for the text on that template to bring it out. The only reason the first word was showing was because it was auto linked. Thanks for your help!

I've only written one article so far but I have to say I like everything about this addon front and back. Also, besides my earlier comment, there are some nice touches like pre-loaded categories which I have found very useful as hints and a timesaving measure for my own site by keeping the relevant ones.

Well done mate :)

Hi :)
This addon is compatible with custom styles?
In Discussion tab it's possible show all article's content ( without read more) and the first attachment?
Thanks
Antonio

I've installed @Brogan Featured Threads and I'm finding that I can't feature the discussion threads generated when publishing a XenZine article. Any way to add the ability to feature these threads?

@The Sandman
I'm not sure why that plugin can't work with Featured Threads, the threads are just normal threads as far as the database is concerned
... Ah, but there is a template difference.

I'll try to look into this, but without the "Featured Threads" plugin, I will need to second guess what he's doing, I assume the option is normally available in the thread tools?

I've used my own template to show the discussion with the article header (I don't need to do this if I just create a template modification).

Since 1.3 is coming soon, I feel I can start using the core features of 1.2 (template modifications), so I will look at changing this next version, let me know if it fixes it.

Last edited:
@Brogan it's okay, I don't think I need to second guess

I'm now using a Template Modification, I already pass through the parent::actionIndex() of Thread so there should be no issue there, it's just that I used a custom template to display the discussions associated to articles (so your option would never show up, no matter where you put it)
But there is no need to do this if I create Template Modifications.

... Hopefully there should be no issues
For anyone using XenZine with a XF version pre 1.2 (Pre Template Modifications), I will just leave it as is

Code:
if (XenForo_Application::$versionId < 1020031)
{
    // use the old method if pre xf 1.2
    return $this->responseView('XenForo_ViewPublic_Thread_View', 'xenzine_thread_view', $viewParams);
}

// now use the standard thread_view but with template modifications (these modification only kick in if $article is present)
return $this->responseView('XenForo_ViewPublic_Thread_View', 'thread_view', $viewParams);

My only concern is for users with a XF version pre 1.2, I'll need to test that attempting to import Template Modifications into a version of xenforo that doesn't support them doesn't cause issues (is caught by the core)

Last edited:
Hello @tenants

There is a bug

If i edit a category and if i made a mistake and set as parent category this category. Example for Marketing category i set parent is Marketing. Category become invible in category manager.

@kezako Hmm, so you set a category to a parent of it's self... okay I'll look into that. Good find.

Is it causing any issues apart from not being visible?

I'm still working on custom fields at the moment

No, currently the one at xenzine.com is the next version (not yet released), it has a few custom filed tests, such as custom tables: http://xenzine.com/articles/mini-v-linear-actuator-build.203/#part_list_test_1

and custom field filtering tests (the Article List can now be filtered by keyword, author or any custom fields, such at the custom drop down for country here: http://xenzine.com/?category=custom-field-tests&id=305)

custom fields can also now be displayed on the title (also country added here http://xenzine.com/?category=custom-field-tests&id=305)

There are also two nav header bars in the article list, separating out the Categories/Authors Picks

There are also a few things incomplete (such as the picks link and count in the header tab)

... It's not ready for release yet, there are still quite a few things that need to be done

Last edited:
Top Bottom