XenZine Articles [Deleted]

At xenzine.com I'm getting this:

Code:
The following error occurred:

A server error occurred. Please try again later.

I have around 1500 articles from my members, and they are all broken up in pages based on a custom addon I had built. I just tried to copy the whole text to see what it does, and well it does that :P

I'm wondering if I can get someone to convert these articles from their existing multi-page format to xenzine articles with multiple pages.

I'm wondering if I can get someone to convert these articles from their existing multi-page format to xenzine articles with multiple pages.

Can you convert them to threads? If so, XenZine has a thread to article converter.

They are already threads. Will the xenZine converter keep the existing threads though and use them as the articles'threads? Also, you talking about the existing functionality to just convert one thread to article or is there a mass converter? as I said I have more than 1500 of them...

Plus these threads already have multipages from a custom addon I have, I'd like to get some paid help to convert them to xenzine's pages.

Last edited:
If they are already threads, you are in luck.

see: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenzine-articles-paid.52769/page-10#post-587996

However, there isn't a mass converter yet (I needed to make sure there were no bugs with the single converter 1st).

Try to create your article thread here: xenzine.com then I'll give you permissions to convert it to and from a thread
... It will have to be done without the other addon switched on, I can't really support other add-ons at the moment (since I'm still concentrating on taking this add-on further)

Last edited:
Thanks, what about the errors I described above when try to post an article body? would it help if i emailed you a txt file with the actual content?

I've just had a look and you did manage to trigger an error.

When I try to reproduce it with the content you used (the content was grabbed via the error message in the ACP, so it may not be exactly the same), I get the following warning:

The submitted message is too long to be processed. Please shorten it.

However, since you are not seeing this message, it leads me to suspect there is something else going on here
Is it possible that you could send me the data (since the bug isn't reproducible from the thrown error content), you could attached it as a word document here (or via email if you prefer)

The other thing (that I feel you and others will want next) is to change the maximum constraint of a xenzine article. At the moment this is simply the same size as a post, but I can add an enhancement to increase this via the ACP.

I still believe these 2 things are different and that you have managed to raise an error (so the data would be useful to fix/find this)

I've seen that it is long, contains many attachment and lots of Greek data, none of these should cause an error (just the size limit warning).

So it can't be the post size, since I've increased that greately in my xenforo options to allow for this size of posts. I'll pm you with a link to the text. :)

yeah, it's definitely content specific
I suspect it might also be triggered using a core XenForo post/thread, since the datawritter and table collations are pretty much the same for xenzine-body vs xenforo-message

You might have to send it in various formats, if I can get to the format that you use to copy and paste it in, it might be easier to reproduce (then I can probably narrow it down to just a few characters and attempt to reproduce in various environments)

Sorry if I'm late to the party. Is XenZine dependent on images or does it work with purely text based articles as well? Is there a way to generate images for articles that don't have one (referring to the image used in the listings, not images that might be part of the actual article).

It is kind of image driven, in that the article list displays a list of article images:

http://xenzine.com/?tag=green

But you don't have to force users to upload images, you can allow them to use default images (including their avatars, or images you have defined in the ACP)

If you are converting a thread in to an article, you can upload an image at the point of conversion

Give it a go, try it out here:
http://xenzine.com/

There are a few default article images in the category tests:

http://xenzine.com/?category=category-tests&id=280

Last edited:
So it can't be the post size, since I've increased that greately in my xenforo options to allow for this size of posts. I'll pm you with a link to the text. :)

Well, it turns out that this was content size related (the content is too large for a text column type)

simply running this sql solved the issue:

ALTER TABLE `xz_article` MODIFY `body` MEDIUMTEXT

'Body' will be a MEDIUMTEXT column type going forwards, and this fix will be applied to the updates.

I am being very patient honestly boss so could I have a tiny tiny update on the custom fields on the content area per category?
My bibliography is bursting its banks and I have students dying like flies for need of it!

I can put it up without search for the time being. I'll make an article for A / B / C like that. with a manual index. That'll do.

Not that I'm nagging perish the thought but a few words ...

Top Bottom