XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it breathes a bit of life into 2.0...I am still on 1.5, theres just not enough to move to the newer version for me.
That's sort of like saying you don't want to buy a new car because the old one "still runs". Sure, it does, but it's just going to keep getting older whereas the new one is much better under the hood and will be able to support more new-fangled gadgets.

But it is built into the core now, less chance of it breaking or a developer dropping support.
you start to annoy here realy, i am talk about upgrade from 1.5 to XF2 not for fresh install or start new project if so i will use XF2 to, but for now, for me, mein opinion only is stay on 1.5.

I am also talking about upgrading, not sure what it is you are not grasping. No one is forcing young upgrade to XF2, so please do not act like it is the end of the world, you can stay in XF 1.5 forever if you wish. ;) (y)

there is so many site who uses custom setup and custom add on, and lots of premium add on, i think large forums need minimun 5-7K to even think about upgrade, even small forum with couple premium add ons need 100-300$ to renew or buy same add on for XF2.

Widget framework exists since 1.2 I think thanks to user xfrocks. Like basically any XF forum out there had that addon installed. Now it's in the core, which is great to have officially support but they are technically right.
XF 2.0 offers almost no new "game-changing" enhancements over 1.5 (imo since 1.2)

Anyway, we should move on from this same debate. It was discussed many times already. XF 2.0 was mainly about feature parity. It also came with neat tweaks and such, so all good. No need to discuss it.

Now my question about what the status about XF 2.1 is, was ignored (or not answered yet).

It seems we can wait another year to have a meaningful progress, if at all. That slow tempo is typical for xf sadly.

It seems to me that xf is 2 steps behind from modern counterparts. IPS made great progress since their 4.2 launch, WBB has a lot of essential packages, and basically any niche forum out there died and is basically a subreddit of reddit now. Facebook is trying to become more like a forum and all of them (social media giants) have apps and APIs.

On top of that (i dont care about that personally) adblock and such gave the final deadly hit.

It doesn't look bright for forum owners. The only bright light is/was XF and they take things so slowly that at this rate maybe in 10 years we will have a platform we would like to have.

there is so many site who uses custom setup and custom add on, and lots of premium add on, i think large forums need minimun 5-7K to even think about upgrade, even small forum with couple premium add ons need 100-300$ to renew or buy same add on for XF2.

Then there is no compelling reason for those sites to update to XF2 at this point, simple really.

But there are features in the XF2 core that are not in the XF1 core.

Find that an update to XF2 is worthwhile, very even.
However, for us in Germany of course only if there is also the German language file for it otherwise XF2 is not to use.

The problem is that the simplest things are not implemented. eg a status system with Pictures/video upload, smilies and activity.

That would be simple to insert but you don't do it. I don't understand.
I don't like WhatsApp either but it has to be becauseof school, football.
You have to go with time and forums hang there very far back also Xenforo!

Hardly any real changes not even smilies against at the profil posts.

Now my question about what the status about XF 2.1 is, was ignored (or not answered yet).
We’re not going to provide a running commentary on development, but I can at least confirm that development of XF2.1 is well under way. And, as is typical with our previous releases and that of our competitors, more details will be released via the HYS forum closer to the time.

It seems to me that xf is 2 steps behind from modern counterparts.

Sometimes you have to take a step backwards before leaping forwards. It seems to me that XF2 was about improving the framework and code base in preparation of future features as well as provide a better experience for addon developers and of course XF developers. XF has always been about quality over quantity, not everyone is interested in all features and a fast forum is always better than a feature rich slow forum.

I hope that the XF Team will focus in the future more on adding features to resolve the "real" problems of admins.

The main problems of forum owners are growing a forum community and make more money.

It is nice to have a faster or more shiny forum. But it does not address those problems.

Professional newsletters in the core, online banking payments in the core etc., these are features we need to grow and make more money.

I do not care about more smilies etc. as long as I have not the marketing tools implemented to get bigger and earn easier more money.

A facebook page or youtube channel or instagram site are offering me directmarketing tools in the core out of the box. This is why they grow so fast. Why is this ignored in forum software? Why no direct marketing features in forum software?

We want to earn money. Why forum software is making it as hard as possible to get the money from the users? Why only PayPal? Are there successful restaurants, which accept only Visa and no cash or no Mastercard?

We have to make it as easy as possible for our users to give us their money. No matter with what or how they want to pay.

Please focus more on this in the future. Otherwise good content creators will switch more and more to youtube et alii to earn easier the money and grow faster.

I don't need any of that either. But to make suggestions you should post them in the suggestion forum if a suggestion does not already exist.

It seems to me that xf is 2 steps behind from modern counterparts. IPS made great progress since their 4.2 launch, WBB has a lot of essential packages, and basically any niche forum out there died and is basically a subreddit of reddit now. Facebook is trying to become more like a forum and all of them (social media giants) have apps and APIs.
I'm not one to fanboy a brand, but what exactly have IPS and WBB added that is revolutionary that XF doesn't have?

I don't find XF two steps behind, it's still my preferred forum platform for traditional threaded discussions. It's also far cheaper than IPS and, at least as far as I've found, has a more friendly community in general. I don't know about WBB.

Honestly, use what platform best suits your needs. But XF2 was a great upgrade and changed massively under the hood, to call it trivial is a massive understatement. It's a complete change in design and a well welcomed and needed one at that. For those critical of it in this thread, perhaps wait until the x.X updates which aim to add more usable features before grabbing the pitchforks.

Professional newsletters in the core, online banking payments in the core etc., these are features we need to grow and make more money.
Professional newsletters would be interesting, I think a feature suggestion already exists. What does "online banking payments" mean? Some countries have bank transfer methods, typically some European ones that have Stripe support, but generally bank transfers are subject to manual approval, things like ACH, Faster Payments, CHAPS, SEPA. Those kinds of things can't really be added.

Why only PayPal?

PayPal is not the only accepted gateway. XF2 has support for Stripe out of the box, which I suppose is what you mean by "online banking payments".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom