XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
A big site is a big site because it is good/important/fun etc. It's not big because of its software, or theme.

It's like saying your a good driver because you own a Ferrari.

Your a good photographer because you own a $10,000 camera.

A big forum because you run xenforo....

I'm looking forward to xf2 but I'm not letting it stall my progress. When it comes out I will have to figure out the best way to migrate to it.

Well said, a great approach to take. :cool:

So as I see it as an end user, dependent on extra features not included in xf1.5.x, xf2.0 will not be usable until most if not all important add ons are update which in all fairness to devs trying to catch up, so end of 2017, sometime 2018 would be for me a reasonable expectation for xf2.(whatever) to be usable and ready for updating.
Which is fine for me because xf1.5.x has what it takes and xf2 seems to be more for ease of dev development than any additional features for an end user. At least nothing jumps out to me as a must have to replace what I do have.

So as I see it as an end user, dependent on extra features not included in xf1.5.x, xf2.0 will not be usable until most if not all important add ons are update which in all fairness to devs trying to catch up, so end of 2017, sometime 2018 would be for me a reasonable expectation for xf2.(whatever) to be usable and ready for updating.
Which is fine for me because xf1.5.x has what it takes and xf2 seems to be more for ease of dev development than any additional features for an end user. At least nothing jumps out to me as a must have to replace what I do have.
Something like that, I guess.

Emoji support (true emoji) requires more than just support in the core. The DB must be have utf8mb4 to fully support it.. and the DB must be in that format, which means that the mysql engine must support it.
You are correct. From what I've read, this should be pretty standard by now and software needs to be able to support it as well. Every social site on the planet now supports it.

Shared hosting environments are frequently not up to the latest version of mySQL. Heck, a lot of them are still on 5.3/5.4 of PHP.
My point was that just putting the code in XF core doesn't mean it will miraculously start working.

Emoji support (true emoji) requires more than just support in the core. The DB must be have utf8mb4 to fully support it.. and the DB must be in that format, which means that the mysql engine must support it.
You can represent it using characters and replace it in the software.

I have another question actually.

Is any JavaScript framework going to be in XenForo 2 that we can utilise? Making more complex JS applications in XF 1 is also harder, a lot of the code is to be written manually. Is something like Vue or Angular 2 going to be in XF2?

We've answered this before. We're just using plain old jQuery (3.1 currently) in our own framework. It's not a million miles away from XF1 but there's definitely some improvements.

Font Awesome 5 is backwords compatible with Font Awesome 4, so it should be easy to update to FA5 if you want to do that yourself I guess?

As an admin, I want to see something that boosts activity on the forum. Notifications / alerts were successful in this.

The Post Ratings addon massively improves engagement for us and I believe others have seen the same thing. Something like that in the core (in 2.1 or whenever) would be a huge step forward. My "wish list" to increase activity is post ratings and trending content built into the core and supported with the new widget framework type thing.

I'd like to see a New Threads button (but I understand this is not the thread for suggestions - although I'm hopeful that making the button name bold might act as a subliminal trigger for one of the developers to make it). :ROFLMAO:

I'd like to see a New Threads button (but I understand this is not the thread for suggestions - although I'm hopeful that making the button name bold might act as a subliminal trigger for one of the developers to make it). :ROFLMAO:
I'm sure they have a bunch they're working on. The screenshots seemed quite early and ofc lacking some of the more 'luxury' features, as stuff like thread tools wasn't there. With the new navigation system I predict adding stuff like that will be easy for developers to extend and add, too.

Actually, the screenshots were not "early" they were current, at the time. Thread tools was missing simply because the user logged in when taking the screenshots was not a moderator.

The navigation manager system only controls the main navigation tabs and the secondary links for the tab (for the tab menu or the secondary row of links when the tab is active).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom