XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shared hosting environments are frequently not up to the latest version of mySQL. Heck, a lot of them are still on 5.3/5.4 of PHP.
My point was that just putting the code in XF core doesn't mean it will miraculously start working.
I hate to jibber jabber on this issue, but this really pisses me off. We finally took up the issue on our own and moved to Google Compute Engine because of this type of madness. The idea that any web hosting provider would still stick their customers on PHP5 is absolutely retarded. The laziness of web host admins and, and in turn, IT "managers" never ceases to amaze me. While they are no doubt thinking about "compatibility", the vast (and I mean vast) majority of syntax from PHP5 works in 7. In fact, arguably, 7.1RC5 throws less critical errors than 7 and is even MORE COMPATIBLE. I mean this is just straight up laziness so I hope your shared host gets their **** together. Also it doesn't take a rocket scientist to offer multiple binaries to their users. Kind regards.

I mean this is just straight up laziness so I hope your shared host gets their **** together
Unluckily many sites are dependent upon the older PHP code levels as their scripts have not been updated. I had to run the BETA version of RoundCube for a while when PHP 7 was first released because it was not PHP 7 capable. Many site admins are also just to lazy to upgrade to newer versions of their script if it DOES support the newer PHP versions, or they have dependencies of bespoke code that won't allow them. It's not an excuse, but simply a fact of life. Most hosts will try to support the lowest common denominator, even to the detriment of others. That's one reason I refuse to use shared hosting. My sites will be on either a VPS or dedicated box (preferred) controlled and administered by myself, but not everyone has that ability.
And when you deal with any EIG product... well, we all know how they roll. :ROFLMAO:

Unluckily many sites are dependent upon the older PHP code levels as their scripts have not been updated.

With cPanel shared hosts this becomes a non-issue as of EasyApache 4. You can allow people to select their PHP version for their entire account, and even down to the individual domain and subdomain ;)

But...

when you deal with any EIG product... well, we all know how they roll.

So they're probably all on a 4 year old version of cPanel :rolleyes:

I feel like something is coming :D:p It's XF release Tuesday today here in NZ :eek:
I guess I have to wait until it's Tuesday in the UK

I hope we will get more information about XF2, maybe some HYS video's?

I feel like something is coming :D:p It's XF release Tuesday today here in NZ :eek:
I guess I have to wait until it's Tuesday in the UK

I hope we will get more information about XF2, maybe some HYS video's?
I think we can expect the first HYS nearing the date of public preview installation.

With cPanel shared hosts this becomes a non-issue as of EasyApache 4. You can allow people to select their PHP version for their entire account, and even down to the individual domain and subdomain

That isn't necessarily a good thing. It allows people to use old, outdated, and insecure scripts, and opens the hosting server to lord knows what. We use EasyApache 4 but do not allow people to use EOL versions. We simply don't make them available.

People just need to stop being lazy and update their scripts.

People just need to stop being lazy and update their scripts.

You already know this isn't going to happen.

Like the stats software we used to use for Call of Duty 4. Much like the concept of COD having dedicated servers, continued development of the stats software hasn't had much traction. We abandoned it when we switched to Xenforo and among other things it helped us abandon the game server while we were at it. In an "unranked" game people really like server stats.

I don't think any major shared host has an issue with updating PHP. I think the customers that frequent some of these hosts are not the usual CMS and Forum hosters most of us deal with. It takes a load off the support team and gains customers when these people can use older software. The fact that Xenforo still works on 5.3 for the most part helps too because it's less of a support load and customer loss from people needing updated environments.

As soon as 2.0 is out, if some security problem is found in 1.x:
Will there be still updates (for some time), or will the 2.0 release kill 1.x completely?

As soon as 2.0 is out, if some security problem is found in 1.x:
Will there be still updates (for some time), or will the 2.0 release kill 1.x completely?
The 1.X line will be supported for a while afterwards (officially confirmed). Don't bank on years of support, but probably easily 1-2 years (not an official statement I've seen but typical on an upgrade like that).

Related questions:

1. Will it be possible to extend those form controls? For example adding custom properties or altering HTML code structure?

2. Will it be possible to add custom style property types in admin panel? For example input with dropdown that offers predefined choices (such as font selection).

Related questions:

1. Will it be possible to extend those form controls? For example adding custom properties or altering HTML code structure?

2. Will it be possible to add custom style property types in admin panel? For example input with dropdown that offers predefined choices (such as font selection).
if they did that that would be awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom