XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so Q1 2017 for developer preview.

So would Q1 2018 be a reasonable long range goal for those of us looking for the 1st stable version available to the general public?

Ok so Q1 2017 for developer preview.

So would Q1 2018 be a reasonable long range goal for those of us looking for the 1st stable version available to the general public?

If you're not running many addons I'd expect earlier. If you rely on addons then I think that sounds like a reasonable time-frame. It's around what I'm basing our plans on at the minute.

I would suggest that we aren't in a position to know, because each stage of XF2's development is reliant on the last going well. For example, the public preview site may throw up some time-consuming issues that weren't found in internal QA, and that might push the developer preview out further, which will push the betas and RCs out, and then by extension the final release. The same thing could happen with the developer preview, and so on. If one of these steps goes unusually well, however, the release might find itself pulled back, or instead the extra time might be used for an extra coat of polish.

That's why promises aren't being made at this stage – the XF team, admirably, do not release a product until it actually works. As a extension of this, they don't promise deadlines they aren't absolutely sure about – hence why we haven't got even a vague idea as when the final release will be. As we get closer to release, the timeframes will firm up, and I'd wager we'll get an idea as to XF2's final release well in time to start preparing for it. :)

I was just thinking something, when people see the wisywig editor it might be so confusing, would be awesome if xenforo could simplify that and just show like the top 4-6 icons then click more for the rest. Like show photo, video, bold, emoticons. Simplicity is the key when getting new members and then advanced for ppl who've been around for awhile.

Wish coders would think outside the box instead of just doing same thing over n over, forums need a BIG change imo to keep going. Like Nintendos new console, it's either gonna make it or break it - to me that's how xenforo is.

I was just thinking something, when people see the wisywig editor it might be so confusing, would be awesome if xenforo could simplify that and just show like the top 4-6 icons then click more for the rest.
The problem with that is that some people don't like to have icons hidden and require an extra click (there have been several threads and add-ons for moving some of the buttons such as strikethrough and quote out of the Insert menu). There are also some people who just don't know that the extra buttons even exist because they are hidden (I have a few members on my forums who weren't aware of the buttons in the Insert menu). Maybe a dropdown arrow next to buttons with menus would help to show that there's more there?

As it is, XenForo 2.0 will be using a different editor anyway:

We're using a different editor in XF 2.0 and we'll talk more about that in the future.

so hopefully we'll see something more flexible.

The problem with that is that some people don't like to have icons hidden and require an extra click (there have been several threads and add-ons for moving some of the buttons such as strikethrough and quote out of the Insert menu). There are also some people who just don't know that the extra buttons even exist because they are hidden (I have a few members on my forums who weren't aware of the buttons in the Insert menu). Maybe a dropdown arrow next to buttons with menus would help to show that there's more there?

As it is, XenForo 2.0 will be using a different editor anyway:

so hopefully we'll see something more flexible.
Gotcha, yeah I was only pointing out simplicity kinda like Facebook.

Gotcha, yeah I was only pointing out simplicity kinda like Facebook.
I wouldn't say Facebook is a good example of simplicity though. The editor only allows basic text to be added, there's no formatting options at all (so you couldn't embolden a word just like I have) or other functionality that is often used within forum posts. But yes, being able to customise and make the editor more flexible for the needs of different forum communities would be useful.

@Mike @Chris D
XF 2.0's Navigation manager will let us associate navigations to add-ons? (just like how easily we can associate options and style properties to add-on) this makes add-ons developing a lot faster.

How about custom fields? (like user custom fields. be able to associate them to add-on)

Yes, navigation entries can be assigned to add-ons. Somewhat the entire point :)

Custom fields, however, is a different thing. The custom fields framework we have in XF 2.0 is more like a library of reusable code than anything else. To implement custom fields in your add-on you still need to write code, create database tables etc. but a lot of the heavy lifting is handled by XF so the amount of code you have to write is dramatically reduced from what it was in XF 1.x.

It wasn't exactly what I'd call intuitive to find, but I'm glad to see we finally have the option in the core to sort out new threads from New posts. ;)

Custom thread fields, drag and drop nodes - awesome!

fix the forum index. by now we should've figured out a way to display the current content and not cut off titles. It makes for poor user experience.

Focus less on those numbers and more on the content.

Screen Shot 2016-11-16 at 12.27.37 PM.webp

Not sure what you would expect, but really the only alternative is not to cut off the titles:

upload_2016-11-16_17-34-56.webp

Which IMO looks a lot worse because it takes up valuable screen real estate. It's customisable on your own site, though, by removing literally one line of code in the LESS.

Not sure what you would expect, but really the only alternative is not to cut off the titles:
Or create alternative indexes. Why is what we have the gold standard? Where is the imagination?

As a user I agree but as a sysadmin I know that I don't have the $ to mantain a super-infrastructure to keep everything live :|
Plenty of ways to achieve a level optimal for all systems with options

I'm super excited about the custom thread fields! :) How are threads moved between forums (with different custom thread fields) handled? Will the admin have an opportunity to select the custom values when they are moving the thread?

Are the custom thread fields searchable?

Sorry if it's been asked already, but will the existing 1.x license owners be able to use 2.0 as well, or we will have to buy XF license again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom