XenForo 2.0 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could be wrong, but I don't think you realize how much power live update takes when there are 1000's of users online at once. It might be alright for slower sites, but any site with a huge online presence would be slinging data constantly and eating bandwidth in the process.
Bandwidth wouldn't be your problem here. The main thing to think about here is memory usage, which is directly tied into the efficiency and overall architecture of the platform (and plugins) you are running on, and server tuning. If you were on vBulletin 3/4, it could have it's share of complications with memory.

I haven't seen anything but good numbers in this regard when it comes to XenForo, and assume it will only get better in 2.0. I'm neutral on this idea for xF, but years ago I made a Live Thread/Update plugin for vB and the sales for it were solid, so there definitely was a demand for this type of feature way back then.

Last edited:
Well, actually, it still doesn't do the same as the live update add-on. It doesn't live update in the same way. The Live Update add-on polls the server every X seconds looking for alerts.

The same as in XF1. An AJAX request (CSRF token update, opening an overlay, posting something, a draft saving etc.) updates the alert and conversation count. The only real difference is we communicate that information automatically to other tabs you have open, and we change the tab title and we change the favicon. That's really the only new thing there.

The same as in XF1. An AJAX request (CSRF token update, opening an overlay, posting something, a draft saving etc.) updates the alert and conversation count. The only real difference is we communicate that information automatically to other tabs you have open, and we change the tab title and we change the favicon. That's really the only new thing there.
I was looking at the JS, will everything in there be extendable?

Not sure what you would expect, but really the only alternative is not to cut off the titles:

View attachment 143786

Which IMO looks a lot worse because it takes up valuable screen real estate. It's customisable on your own site, though, by removing literally one line of code in the LESS.

looks fine to me. i think there's value in displaying full titles for the reader and the hopes SE's pick up on the internal links.

I'd like to see a new forum index where it's just the latest/most active content and the node list on the side or above, like a list of categories.

To me, the forum index is like an old "enter" page and I'd rather get users to the content as fast as possible.

From a user perspective... it feels like a clunky skin on 1.x. Some of the Ux I dig and are clearly improvements.... others... feel clunky and raw (almost... alpha like!)

I am only seeing/interacting on a superfluous level, but it is the same level my users interact on. For them, the experience will be largely the same as it was... many years ago.

At this very early stage, I am underwhelmed and disappointed. It is the first time in 14 years of forum admin'ing that I haven't been foaming at the mouth to "get my hands on the beta, screw the consequences and UPGRADE NOW". I am sorry if that sounds harsh. I am sure everyone has put a lot of work into it. But the deliverable at this early stage (and only from the front end) is not innovative and doesn't offer any real value from an every day user perspective.

So I don't quite understand yet how this will bring value to me as a forum owner.

Sorry to be the Judas! You know I love you guys!

Maybe feature a WebSocket communication for live update? It's not that exhausting as XHR.

I am also curious about resources after 2.0 release. Is it going to be a separate Resource Manager for new resources or all our 1.x resources will fall under 1.x category?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom