XenForo 1.3 General Discussion & Feedback

Again- perhaps a good tool for mods and admins ( can't remember the last time I would even need to multi quote multiple threads from different content to be honest) but really does nothing to enhance my users forum experience...as far as usefulness -just my 2 cents.
It's a highly requested feature on communities where discussion span many pages quickly. In my community especially, the multi-quote between thread isn't going to be used much on my forum but multi-quote between pages of the same thread is very very useful. Select a message from the first page, 3 messages from the second page, couple more from other pages and bam insert it all with just a click and write your reply without having to be pushed down to the reply box every time you click the "reply" button to quote someone individually. Also adds a lot more to reading experience, I could just go clicking the add to multi-quote button without it effecting which post I am reading, and then reply to it all at one go.

But it really depends on the community type :) But from what I've seen, majority of the communities would benefit from the awesome implementation of the multi-quote feature in XenForo.

and webpagetest.org score shows same result, forum page need to load 644kb stuffs, very disppointed at xenforo, please make it faster, mobile is the king in the future
Actually xenforo is very fast on my server, and I do get A ratings for all categories from webpagetest.

For Multiquote: It's an indicator xenforo evolves from the fast and sleek to a more mature project. There is always a time when you think back and get rid of functions not needed for your community. I can only think of the group feature which hurt my discussions as lots of people created private invite-only groups which then everyone wanted to be part of. The groups were mostly empty. So the discussion went from open forums to private groups where then not really something was discussed. Currently there are mostly three ways of adding content to a discussion

1. at the end of thread_view page, the editor
2. by clicking on Reply
3. by clicking on "+", then going to the editor
(4. by liking the content. Minor stuff, though it helps prioritizing the discussion elements)
(5. by taking part of a survey)

Again- perhaps a good tool for mods and admins ( can't remember the last time I would even need to multi quote multiple threads from different content to be honest) but really does nothing to enhance my users forum experience...as far as usefulness -just my 2 cents.
I'm surprised to read this and also to read Mike's comment on MQ. On our forum it's used quite often both by mods and regular members. It's most often used when someone posts something controversial and/or thought-provoking and many people reply to it. That person then has to quote the replies over multiple pages for further explanation or discussion. Another example is when someone asks a question and receives multiple answers or counter-questions, which require individual response. But even when quoting two posts on a single page, not having to click and scroll back for each reply is simply a basic time-saving feature. I do agree quoting from multiple threads is much less common, but a useful tool nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob
Simple is better- reply should be reply - quote should be quote. They are different functions.
XenForo does create a little ambiguity by using the phrase "Reply" when what that actually does is quote that post! But it's no biggie and it can be changed.

I'm surprised to read this and especially from Mike. On our forum it's used quite often both by mods and regular members. It's most often used when someone posts something controversial and/or thought-provoking and many people reply to it. He or she then has to quote the replies over multiple pages for further explanation or discussion. But even if on the same page, not having to click and scroll back for every reply is simply a basic feature.

I do agree quoting from multiple threads is much less common.
Yes-agreed that over multiple pages - same thread it could be useful. Not sure what to make of the choice of the multi quote button "+" though.

Actually xenforo is very fast on my server, and I do get A ratings for all categories from webpagetest.

For Multiquote: It's an indicator xenforo evolves from the fast and sleek to a more mature project. There is always a time when you think back and get rid of functions not needed for your community. I can only think of the group feature which hurt my discussions as lots of people created private invite-only groups which then everyone wanted to be part of. The groups were mostly empty. So the discussion went from open forums to private groups where then not really something was discussed. Currently there are mostly three ways of adding content to a discussion

1. at the end of thread_view page, the editor
2. by clicking on Reply
3. by clicking on "+", then going to the editor
(4. by liking the content. Minor stuff, though it helps prioritizing the discussion elements)
(5. by taking part of a survey)
you still need to load 644kb page content, on a giga byte network, maybe less than one second, but on a edge network, how long that gonna be? that is why I said xenforo 1.3 is even worse on mobile device

Simple is better- reply should be reply - quote should be quote. They are different functions.
If you press Reply...you post is quoted to..

Since XF 1.3, if you press +...more than 1 post can be quoted, which is the difference between Reply and +? Both quote posts...

Since XF 1.3, if you press +...more than 1 post can be quoted, which is the difference between Reply and +? Both quote posts...
...which is why I'd prefer to have "Quote" (for "Reply") and "Multiquote" (for "+") – or "+Multiquote" and "-Multiquote".

But I see no problem here: Either these changes will be made in the core product (better in my case, since I am "only" a forum user so far), or one should be able to change it via phrases.

Disclaimer: I've not read the discussion. Just logging in to comment - just because I can!

1.3 offers a nice set of features; but it's certainly not an update that'd make me think about upgrading when I'm in shower.

It's interesting to note that the multi-quote feature hasn't been used in this thread since the first page of this thread. (Unless I missed it)

Can anyone point me to a thread/post where it was used extensively in the last 24 hours?

I rarely quote two posts but if I do, it's usually very quick and easy to just hit reply on the two posts I want. To me, it seems like with the current multi-quote system it takes slightly longer/about the same.

A more useful quoting feature would be the ability to highlight certain words/lines of a post and then be able to quote that without having to delete the parts you don't want to reply to.

Last edited:
pagespeed insight score of 1.2.4 is 72/100, desktop is 88/100
using url www.xenforo.com/community

xenforo 1.3 is poor 65/100, 85/100, which means 1.3 version is even worse on mobile platform

and webpagetest.org score shows same result, forum page need to load 644kb stuffs, very disppointed at xenforo, please make it faster, mobile is the king in the future
So what would you say about Google's developer home page?
http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https://developers.google.com/

These are just useless numbers that give zero input about your website's speed or structure.

I think we were all a little spoiled by the amount of features implemented in 1.2 but 1.3 has some really convenient and much needed additions.

Its surprising people are complaining about multi-quote too, if its such a problem then you can just disable it. :confused: My forum *****ed and moaned until I found an addon for it after we moved from vb 3.8. Glad its now core.

Due to popular demand:

toggle-off-and-on-able

Nice (y)

I feel this few days, Xenforo Community is a bit slow.
I think they have server problem maybe o_O

Top Bottom