Utah Fishkeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel bad that my site isn't growing, but I'm not a good poster. Some people can make 30 or 40 thousand posts in only a few years. I have 1000 posts on a site and it took me several years to get to that. Hopefully promoting Utah Fishkeepers at the local fish store will help get members.

How long will it take the site to grow? It is almost 2 years old.

I feel bad that my site isn't growing, but I'm not a good poster. Some people can make 30 or 40 thousand posts in only a few years. I have 1000 posts on a site and it took me several years to get to that. Hopefully promoting Utah Fishkeepers at the local fish store will help get members.
OK, I'm going to jump back into this thread and while it may seem cruel, these are the cold hard facts...

1) You are either unwilling or unable to post quality content that will draw visitors to your site.
2) You are either unwilling or unable to take suggestions for your site.
3) You are unable to legally enter into agreements with sponsors because of your age. (sorry have to bring that up)
4) You've limited your site to 'Utah'. While anyone can join, just the inference that the site is only for Utah is a show stopper for many people.
5) You're a small fish in a big pond. (sorry for the pun) There are already long time, establish aquarium communities that are preventing people from finding your site in searches.

These are all huge hurdles for your site to overcome and the only way to get around them is to take as much of the advice people have given here and on TAZ as possible. Even then it will take a long time for your site to move up in the search engines because of the older, more established aquarium sites.

Last edited:
1) You are either unwilling or unable to post quality content that will draw visitors to your site.
I a able and willing. I am just not quite sure what to post.
2) You are either unwilling or unable to take suggestions for your site.
I am willing and able. I just don't know what to post about.
4) You've limited your site to 'Utah'. While anyone can join, just the inference that the site is only for Utah is a show stopper for many people.
There are many successful local fish forums.
5) You're a small fish in a big pond. (sorry for the pun) There are already long time, establish aquarium communities that are preventing people from finding your site in searches.
Mine is at the top when utah fishkeeping forum is searched for.

I just don't know what to post about.

I would suggest fish and fishkeeping. Maybe breeding them, diagnosing illnesses. Where to buy them. Where to sell them.

If you know everything there is to know about fish, then you will be good at answering questions.

If you don't know everything about fish, then you could ask some questions and learn a bit more.

Mine is at the top when utah fishkeeping forum is searched for.

How many other fishkeeping forums are there based specifically in Utah?

I would suggest fish and fishkeeping. Maybe breeding them, diagnosing illnesses. Where to buy them. Where to sell them.

If you know everything there is to know about fish, then you will be good at answering questions.

If you don't know everything about fish, then you could ask some questions and learn a bit more.

How many other fishkeeping forums are there based specifically in Utah?
I don't know everything about fish, but I ask questions and they don't get answered because there is no activity. There is one reef club forum in utah, but there are no other freshwater forums. Mine is the only one. I have a Buy & Sell section on my site.

I don't know everything about fish, but I ask questions and they don't get answered because there is no activity...
Then you have a real fundamental problem. You've started a forum about something you aren't fully knowledgeable about.

That alone prevents you from populating the forum with information that will draw people to the site.

Then you have a real fundamental problem. You've started a forum about something you aren't fully knowledgeable about.

That alone prevents you from populating the forum with information that will draw people to the site.
How is someone supposed to know everything about fish? There are people who have 50 years experience who still don't know everything about fish. How many years of experience am I supposed to have before I can start a forum? 100 years? 1000 years?

How is someone supposed to know everything about fish? There are people who have 50 years experience who still don't know everything about fish. How many years of experience am I supposed to have before I can start a forum? 100 years? 1000 years?
Now you're just being sarcastic.

Nobody expects you to know everything. But your knowledge level should be at a point where you can populate the forum with topics that will draw people into the site.

Now you're just being sarcastic.

Nobody expects you to know everything. But your knowledge level should be at a point where you can populate the forum with topics that will draw people into the site.
I can, but I am not sure what to post about. Sure I could write about treating rare diseases, but I am not sure if that will start a discussion.

I can, but I am not sure what to post about. Sure I could write about treating rare diseases, but I am not sure if that will start a discussion.
Write about anything and everything you know in detail. Whether that starts a discussion or not is not in your control unless you create phantom users to contribute to the discsussion.

I guess I will write about treating bacterial hemorrhagic septicemia in goldfish.
Good. Don't stop there. Fill your site with as much information as you can.

As it is now, people visit the site and find it's empty with no valuable content and move on without registering. The more information your site has, the more likely people will register.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom