User Essentials [Paid] [Deleted]

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
How difficult would it be to send user name changes through to the moderation queue so that moderators can approve or deny (with reason) name changes?

This of course is possible but is not a quick addition.
Since new names follow the same rules as those who newly register, how important is it to moderate them?
As a feature request it all depends on how many people want this.

Does your current user name change function send any kind of alert to the moderators/admin that a person has changed their name? What if they are unhappy with a moderating decision and decide to change their name to a personal insult to a moderator? 'Bill is a Tosser' or whatever?

There is a name change request addon for vBulletin which we use in which the moderators can allow or deny user name changes. The user can give a reason for the requested change. Chris Deeming and I are at the stage where we might be writing this addon for XF, but I may be able to avoid the cost of that if your addon will do what we need.
A frequent scenario we have for users wanting to change their names is to avoid recognition by other members after they have misbehaved on the forum. So we tend to review their warnings and user notes prior to allowing a name change.
They might also try to change their name to one which insults the forum, a moderator, another member or an organisation.
The best valid reason is to change from their real name to a pseudonym after they feel that it's not a good idea to publish their real name in the forum. We actually get very few of these.
The user name change verification also gives the moderators the opportunity to look at the reason given for the name change and decide whether or not to apply the name change icon to their profile like ebay have it.
iconChangeID_20x20.gif

The only reason not to is if the member is trying to hide their identity for security reasons (maybe being stalked across forums or in real life). Having the name change icon and an alert for moderators/admin when someone changes their name might negate the need for a request system.
The user name change icon is kind of a useful additional feature you could consider adding to this addon.

Last edited:
I now understand why you want this and it makes perfect sense.
At its current state this add-on does not do what you wish. While there is a searchable user log that also tracks user name changes, there is no in-post indicator (just the log and profile page).
I will certainly look into adding your suggested features, however since you are only interested in the user name change, you are probably better off with a separate add-on just for that.

Syndol updated User Essentials with a new update entry:

Version 1.1.6

What's new:
  • Remove Own Poll Vote with optional Time Limit. Those who have cast a vote may remove it (un-vote). This is a usergroup permission which may be set with a time limit (in minutes). Poll must be open and user must have voting permission.
  • Delete Poll. Moderators and poll creators (when no votes have been cast) can delete a poll via a simple link.
10_poll_unvote-png.55639

Upgrade Instructions:...

Read the rest of this update entry...

FYI
Please note that I will be away until the 25th of October.
I shall respond to any questions or reported issues upon my return.
Thank you.

Will you be able to limit different numbers per usergroup?

Eg: Member - change names 1 time.
Premium - change names 5 times.

If enough people are interested in this I can change the maximum name changes to a user group value, otherwise, I could create you a version that does this.

If enough people are interested in this I can change the maximum name changes to a user group value, otherwise, I could create you a version that does this.

How much would it be do make one for me, feel free to PM me a price and I'll keep it on my budget list and contact you when I can pay for it.

If that is the only change you want, then no extra charge, but lets move this to a conversation.

Is there a vb importer for user actions? (from the user account log)

Regarding the name change function: I'd like to be able to sell name changes. I know that its possible to add an account upgrade that adds an additional usergroup and I can give that group permission to change the name. If I limit the account upgrade to one week, then they can repurchase whenever they need it again. So then I am almost there. Except that the user can then change their name 4 times ever. Can this be increased?

No importer.
The enhanced version of this add-on will probably suit your needs a little better as you can reset the number of changes every X days.

What could be the reason for the following error when trying to install the latest 1.1.7?
Code:
Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Duplicate entry '3-0-forum-editOwnThreadTitleLimit' for key 'unique_permission' -library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214

#0 /var/www/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(297): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute(Array)
#1 /var/www/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /var/www/library/UserEss/Install/100.php(23): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('??????INSERT IN...')
#3 /var/www/library/UserEss/Install/101.php(28): UserEss_Install_100::install(false, Array)
#4 /var/www/library/UserEss/Install/105.php(30): UserEss_Install_101::install(false, Array)
#5 /var/www/library/UserEss/Install/107.php(31): UserEss_Install_105::install(false, Array)
#6 /var/www/library/UserEss/Install/111.php(31): UserEss_Install_107::install(false, Array)
#7 [internal function]: UserEss_Install_111::install(false, Array, Object(SimpleXMLElement))
#8 /var/www/library/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php(215): call_user_func(Array, false, Array, Object(SimpleXMLElement))
#9 /var/www/library/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php(169): XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml(Object(SimpleXMLElement), false)
#10 /var/www/library/XenForo/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php(187): XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile('/tmp/php6uo1LA')
#11 /var/www/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(337): XenForo_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionInstall()
#12 /var/www/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#13 /var/www/admin.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#14 {main}

Request State
array(3) {
["url"] => string(45) "https://mydomain.com/admin.php?add-ons/install"
["_GET"] => array(1) {
["add-ons/install"] => string(0) ""
}
["_POST"] => array(3) {
["server_file"] => string(0) ""
["_xfConfirm"] => string(1) "1"
["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
}
}

I may have had one of the previous versions installed, in which case I most likely remove it before upgrading Xenforo to 1.2 since if I remember correctly, they both started to offer overlapping features. Anyway, I'm not sure if that's the case, however this error message comes right after trying to install the new addon for Xenforo 1.2.3. I do remember having this error before when trying to intall one of the previous versions on my board, it must have been after the forum engine was upgraded to 1.2.x or something...

Top Bottom